PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Temperature for 11 days?!

barkley1
08-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Two saturdays ago, DS (8) had a headache and 99.3 temperature (not a "real" fever as defined by 100.4). I noticed that the night before, I heard him cough a few times. So, this has continued for ELEVEN days...only once reaching over 100.4 - last Wednesday he had 101.5 so I kept him home from school. But he has continued to go to school, church, ball, etc.. all this time b/c it hasn't even been a fever. He had a sore throat at first, I'm thinking draininage from a stuff nose, or viral....but that has gone away and he feels OK just a little tired, and not eating quite as much but def still an appetite.

I took him in on Sunday (saw an NP on call, not his normal pediatrician), day 8 and they did a CBC which was completely normal, showed no infection. Ears, throat, chest were all OK. Now we are on day 11, still has 99.5 temperature (has only been in evenings the past few days) and a cough. I've never dealt w/ this....WWYD?

-----Also, I have the drainage/cold thing now, too, but no cough. I'm guess we have the same thing, but I don't have a fever. Also, DD hasn't caught it all this time...

jren
08-15-2017, 07:21 PM
My first thought was walking pneumonia. Maybe take him back in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana
08-15-2017, 07:59 PM
What is his normal temp? My DD runs hot all the time; her normal temp is about 99. DS is the opposite--normal for him is 97.9.

Most of us don't take temps unless we think something's wrong, so we probably don't really know what's "normal."

Has the weather been hot? That can raise his temp. Temps typically run higher in the evening, so that sounds normal.

Could he have allergies? Those definitely can cause headaches, sore throat, and fatigue (ETA: and coughing!). And maybe even a mild fever if the body is producing antibodies, especially if it's a new allergy. How are his eyes? They often are the first "victim" in a hay fever event.

barkley1
08-15-2017, 08:36 PM
His normal is 97.9 or 98.6...those seem to be the two the thermometer reads a lot. I would think it was nothing except he really crashes in the evening. Like, not wanting to go to baseball, not wanting to eat dinner, very willing to go to bed early (??!!). And yes, his eyes do look feverish/off. I will def try some Zyrtec tomorrow. We've been using Delsym with not really great results. And I do feel like I need to take him back in...I just feel like they'll say "virus!", like we told you the first time, haha!

sariana
08-15-2017, 08:40 PM
His normal is 97.9 or 98.6...those seem to be the two the thermometer reads a lot. I would think it was nothing except he really crashes in the evening. Like, not wanting to go to baseball, not wanting to eat dinner, very willing to go to bed early (??!!). And yes, his eyes do look feverish/off. I will def try some Zyrtec tomorrow. We've been using Delsym with not really great results. And I do feel like I need to take him back in...I just feel like they'll say "virus!", like we told you the first time, haha!

I'm not very familiar with Delsym; can it cause drowsiness? And people react differently. Sudafed (the real stuff) is supposed to be non-drowsy, but that stuff knocks me out! So maybe he's reacting to the meds?

Allergies can cause all those symptoms, including lack of interest, but so can a lot of other things. If it's not a financial or time burden, definitely take him back in.

Mermanaid
08-15-2017, 08:43 PM
My first thought is allergies. Does he has a shadow or bags under his eyes? What are the allergy/pollen counts in your area?

If it is allergies, watch it carefully because it can turn into a sinus infection or strep throat.