PDA

View Full Version : S/o how much is school lunch?

bw52
08-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Ours is $3.00 and includes milk.

Juice or water is $0.75 extra.

Just curious.

klwa
08-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Our entire county got grants for free lunch/breakfast for all elementary students a few years ago. I'm hoping they addres the middle school lunch costs at 6th grade orientation tomorrow, because I am lost with costs & methods of pAyment after the last few years without it!

JElaineB
08-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Elementary Lunch $2.50 (includes milk)
Elementary Milk $0.50 (if purchased separately)
Junior High Lunch $2.75 plus a la carte items available
High School Lunch $3.25 plus a la carte items available
Reduced price lunch is $0.40 for any

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Somewhere in the $2.50 range. Only plain milk is available and it's included. They do have pitchers of water around at the tables (forgot about that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
08-15-2017, 08:36 PM
Elementary school $2 (includes milk or juice). $0.50 for milk only.
Free breakfast for all.
ETA: No idea about middle or high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

BDKmom
08-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Elementary is $2.25 and includes milk. Extra milk is $.40. I know they have bottled water as an option but not sure if/how much it costs.

scrooks
08-15-2017, 08:44 PM
I think it's $2.75 (includes milk) at our elementary.

doberbrat
08-15-2017, 08:45 PM
Elem: Lunch 2 milk $0.50 juice $0.35
Middle: Lunch $2.50 I think that includes a drink breakfast is $1

JBaxter
08-15-2017, 09:50 PM
2.25 comes with Milk or juice elementary 2.50 middle 2.75/3.00 high school

georgiegirl
08-15-2017, 09:52 PM
This year elementary is $2.70 including milk. Middle school is $2.80

belovedgandp
08-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Elementary $2.55 includes milk and juice. 50 cents for just milk.

MS/HS $2.70 for meal. Basically same as elementary but some serving sizes are larger. DS1 was completely fascinated by the larger sizes his first year.

MS/HS has a la carte items. No idea on those costs. Fortunately DS1 likes the regular meal options every day.

Our PTO did a tour of the districts food services building last year. It was really interesting. District has 30,000 students. Food service is a stand alone entity.

lalasmama
08-16-2017, 12:21 AM
Lunch is right around $2/day for middle school ($1.90 or $2.10, DH can't remember, and is in charge of all school-related activities since it's his workplace).

Breakfast is free for everyone in elementary and middle school.

calebsmama03
08-16-2017, 12:23 AM
Elementary $3 includes milk. MS and HS $3.25 incl milk. Water and juice are extra but I'm not sure how much ?

hillview
08-16-2017, 08:44 AM
$3.30 per elementary school student meal,
$3.60 per middle school student meal and
$3.85 per high school student meal

It doesn't say what it includes but would assume milk is included. You can buy things a la carte as well.

AnnieW625
08-16-2017, 08:57 AM
My kids go to k-8 Catholic school which has a lunch service (Choice Lunch) and it is $5.75 and includes: entree, piece of fruit, a drink (milk or juice box), and a snack. My kids like the spaghetti, hot dog, cheeseburger, spaghetti (and meatballs), chicken nuggets, and pizza. Because of the cost they get it maybe twice a month. The spaghetti portion is huge though so they usually have leftovers so I always send a container. They also have cold lunch selections that include salads and hummus plates or fruit plates but we haven't gotten those.

mom2ethan
08-16-2017, 09:07 AM
At our Catholic K-8, lunches are prepared in-house and cost $5. They include an entree, a salad bar that has fruit and yogurt as well, and water to drink. Milk is extra but something like $40 for the year.

Kindra178
08-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Our current school doesn't have school lunch. They have a pto fundraiser every Friday which is lunch from local restaurants. That's approx $5. Milk is $11 for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

basil
08-16-2017, 10:43 AM
OMG I'm just having this discussion with my DH. He says the (public) school lunch for DS in K will be at least $6. I think it's more like $3. :rolleye0014:

TwinFoxes
08-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Elementary lunch is $3, and includes milk. It was less last year, but I can't remember by how much, it may have been $2.85. It seems expensive to me, honestly.

bisous
08-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Our charter school doesn't offer lunch at all. If a kid forgets a lunch and the parent cannot be contacted, they go hungry! We don't have a cafeteria or anyway to produce food. It is kind of questionable to me. If a low income student were to come to our school (and qualify for free lunch) I'm not sure what they would do! I guess this is proof that the charter school model doesn't serve lower income families very well!

The last school DS1 was at charged $4 per day for lunch. The local elementary schools around us charge $3.50.

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Our charter school doesn't offer lunch at all. If a kid forgets a lunch and the parent cannot be contacted, they go hungry! We don't have a cafeteria or anyway to produce food. It is kind of questionable to me. If a low income student were to come to our school (and qualify for free lunch) I'm not sure what they would do! I guess this is proof that the charter school model doesn't serve lower income families very well!

The last school DS1 was at charged $4 per day for lunch. The local elementary schools around us charge $3.50.

No, it's proof that *your* charter school doesn't serve low income families well. Mine doesn't have a kitchen to cook in but contracts with a vendor to bring lunch in daily (they have the ability to warm/ cool and serve food, as needed). Free and reduced lunch families are properly supported. Sounds like your school could be more resourceful but I also know things are different in CA.

bisous
08-16-2017, 12:49 PM
No, it's proof that *your* charter school doesn't serve low income families well. Mine doesn't have a kitchen to cook in but contracts with a vendor to bring lunch in daily (they have the ability to warm/ cool and serve food, as needed). Free and reduced lunch families are properly supported. Sounds like your school could be more resourceful but I also know things are different in CA.

Yes, our budget is so stretched here. Sounds like your school has it figured out. I do feel a little conflicted thinking about how difficult it would be for a low income family to try and attend our Charter school. I would like to think that our little school would be accommodating and make it work if it were to happen. The lack of busing or transportation to the school, coupled with the difficultly of getting in (lottery system) also make attending difficult for low income kids. I guess we're pretty fortunate at least in my city to not really have any "bad" local schools and I'd like to hope that our school would figure out accommodations if we had any truly low income students enroll.

sdjeppa
08-16-2017, 02:38 PM

DS1 is at a charter middle school (So Cal). They have a lunch catering company that provides lunch, and the free/reduced lunch program is also available, so I think it is on a school by school basis. It is pretty good food too. As to prices: Charter middle school - $3.60, includes milk; public elementary - $2.50 includes milk or water.

Mikey0709
08-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter school here (pennsylvania).

Elementary lunch is $3.50. Extra typically for drinks or snacks.

Breakfast is $2.00

Too much IMHO.... especially when I found out I was giving my son 2 waffles in the morning, he would then go to school and purchase a breakfast, lunch and extras.... at the tune of $7/day! Yup - put a stop to that one! Especilally considering I was packing my own lunch! Thank goodness we only buy once or twice a week.

Kindra178
08-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Our school gives Lunchables. They used to order Jimmy Johns.

smilequeen
08-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Man...my 2 younger boys it is $6.50/day. They get it when the menu looks good to them. Admittedly, it's a private school with it's own chef and a farm to table program, so not a typical school lunch. My oldest would eat it every single day. I'm going to have to wait and see what he ends up spending this year on lunch. I have been told they tend to spend between $5-8 for lunch...but it's a secondary school...6-12 and all boys. You know how growing boys tend to eat!

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Man...my 2 younger boys it is $6.50/day. They get it when the menu looks good to them. Admittedly, it's a private school with it's own chef and a farm to table program, so not a typical school lunch. My oldest would eat it every single day. I'm going to have to wait and see what he ends up spending this year on lunch. I have been told they tend to spend between $5-8 for lunch...but it's a secondary school...6-12 and all boys. You know how growing boys tend to eat!

Also farm to table with an awesome menu. I have no idea how they do it for the price they do!

Pear
08-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Elementary. 2.45
Extra milk or juice .50

ilfaith
08-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Elementary: $2.80
Middle School: $2.95

Includes milk...bottled water or juice are available at an additional charge. The middle school also offers some a la carte options.

pharmjenn
08-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Our elementary schools are $3 and include milk. There is a water fountain in the cafeteria but otherwise it is not provided. There is no breakfast available at our school.

amandabea
08-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Elementary: $3.25
i assume milk is included, but not sure.

o_mom
08-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Elementary is $2.45, Middle school and high school is $2.65.

Includes entree, 1 fruit (2 for HS), 2 vegetables, milk.

MMMommy
08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Our district's school lunches cost $5.70 (regular size entree) or $6.95 (large entree).

essnce629
08-18-2017, 04:20 PM
(DS2) Public independent charter: $4.50 (Revolution Foods lunch program)

(DS1) Private high school: $7-$15!!! (food ordered from local restaurants each day)

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

essnce629
08-18-2017, 04:23 PM

Our k-8 charter school has plenty of low income families who get free lunch. Normal price is $4.50 for the rest of us.

I'd say that our school is really good about supporting low income families. We have lots of parenting education opportunities, all school supplies are supplied by the school, and all field trips (including the 5th graders' 3 day trip to Catalina and middle school overnight trips) are paid for by the school. Our fundraising model is fantastic though and we usually fundraise over $200,000 a year for the elementary school alone (264 students).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
08-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Elementary grades; K-3rd is 2.85 and I think it's the same for another elementary school for grades 4th and 5th. This would include an entree, vegetable of the day, fruit of the day and milk carton.

It's 2.10 for just an entree and milk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IansMom
08-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Elementary--$2.25 includes milk

lizzywednesday
08-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Elementary is $2.40 for lunch & it includes milk.

We don't usually allow DD to buy lunch as I find it's easier on my food budget if I send food from home.

smilequeen
08-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Well, my 7th grader spent $11.15 on lunch on his first day. Sigh. He was down to less than $8 on day two, so my chat about making healthier choices went over well I guess. I get a detailed list of what he buys and I'll be watching it for a while.