PDA

View Full Version : Any long time android users switch to an iphone and were you happy with it?

jerseygirl07067
08-17-2017, 01:15 AM
I've known nothing but android other than the iPhone 5s I used for work for a year. On android, I really love my beloved back button, customization, swyping, and the phone number retrieval by just entering the letters on the keypad, as well as the navigation and google now voice command. And unlimited google photo cloud storage.

However, my two older DDs have iphones and I was thinking it would be nice for us all to be on the same platform, and I would like to make sure I can stay ahead of them (or at least up with them!) as far as knowledge of using the technology. I was pondering switching to an iPhone at some point, but wasn't sure if I'd regret it. It seems more simplistic than what I am used to, but sometimes I have a hard time navigating around because I am always looking for a back button! And I find that the iPhone locator apps for android are hit or miss. I don't need that feature right now, but when they get older or start driving it will be nice to have!

And at home we don't have Macs, just PCs, though I might consider switching sometime in the future, but always balk at the price of those Macs!

pharmjenn
08-17-2017, 06:35 AM
I didn't, but my DH did with our last upgrade. He has a continuous glucose monitor and their app was only for iphone (to not have to use the separate reader) He has been very happy with the change, but I don't have any specifics about what he likes or what things he found difficult to get used to.

JBaxter
08-17-2017, 07:25 AM
I've switched back and forth my last few phones I went from a galaxy ?5 ( I think it was a 5) to a iPhone 7plus. Its a little re learning but I'm actually preferring the iPhone at this point. DH also got me the iWatch for my birthday and I LOVE that combo.

pastrygirl
08-17-2017, 07:39 AM
My first two smartphones were android (4+ years). Back then, I really disliked the iPhone in comparison. When the iPhone 5 came out, I was ready to switch. I thought I'd REALLY miss the back button and light notifications, but I didn't and still don't. I now have a 7 Plus and LOVE it.

My droids stopped functioning properly after a couple of years. I haven't had that problem with the iPhones.

I did sign up for cloud storage for my photos. I also far prefer the itunes setup for music, than what I had cobbled together on android.

mom2binsd
08-17-2017, 11:08 AM
There are apps that an android parent can use with their kids iPhone. The 360 app got instance. I would hate to switch, I have my galaxy customized and can't believe how the options aren't on a iPhone. And yes the back button is the best!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MMMommy
08-17-2017, 02:48 PM
I switched from Android to iPhone briefly a few years ago. After one week, I had to switch back to Android. I'm definitely an Android person for sure! My DDs both have iPhones, DH and I have Androids.

JBaxter
08-17-2017, 03:52 PM
There are apps that an android parent can use with their kids iPhone. The 360 app got instance. I would hate to switch, I have my galaxy customized and can't believe how the options aren't on a iPhone. And yes the back button is the best!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I use the 360 app with my iPhone we had mixed phones for a while

bcafe
08-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Timely question. I just switched from android to ios. Right now I am thinking about switching back. I miss my LED notification!

MMMommy
08-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Timely question. I just switched from android to ios. Right now I am thinking about switching back. I miss my LED notification!

:yeahthat: I rely on my notifications heavily, and Android light notifications were crucial for me. Now, I am even more spoiled with actual icon notifications that light up on a second notification screen on my LG V20. They don't light up in different colors, but instead, you see the actual icon lit up in white (text icon, Whatsapp icon, Gmail email icon, missed call icon, etc.). Android is great for notifications.

twowhat?
08-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Me. To be honest it SUCKED at first. Android lets you customize so much, and the notifications are awesome, and losing all that was very hard to get used to.

But...the iPhone camera is SO MUCH BETTER and with kids, and taking impromptu pictures all the time...it even replaces a regular camera on vacation. I've gotten used to it (just takes some time) and until the Android phones have comparable cameras, I'm sticking with the iPhone.

bcafe
08-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Yes, the camera is what prompted me to switch! I still don't know if I will stick with it.

jerseygirl07067
08-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Me. To be honest it SUCKED at first. Android lets you customize so much, and the notifications are awesome, and losing all that was very hard to get used to.

But...the iPhone camera is SO MUCH BETTER and with kids, and taking impromptu pictures all the time...it even replaces a regular camera on vacation. I've gotten used to it (just takes some time) and until the Android phones have comparable cameras, I'm sticking with the iPhone.

Yes, the camera is what prompted me to switch! I still don't know if I will stick with it.

Interesting about the camera...I never compared them side by side since when I used an iphone for work I never really took pics with it. Is the iphone camera that much better? My friend who is apple everything comments how good my pics are compared to hers. She has an iphone 6 or 6 plus, and at the time I had a Galaxy S6.

I just upgraded to an S8 and like it a lot, but the curved screen is making it really hard to find a good case for it. None of them have a built in screen protector, since the built in types decrease the sensitivity on the curved screen, even the Otterboxes don't have a built in, enclosed screen protector, which is what I have always used.

Right now I have a Speck grippy case on it which I love, but I'm so used to having bulky cases I'm still treating this thing like a baby, lol....

westwoodmom04
08-20-2017, 12:25 PM
The Galaxy S8 is suppose to have the best camera currently on the market.

khm
08-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Interesting about the camera...I never compared them side by side since when I used an iphone for work I never really took pics with it. Is the iphone camera that much better? My friend who is apple everything comments how good my pics are compared to hers. She has an iphone 6 or 6 plus, and at the time I had a Galaxy S6.

I just upgraded to an S8 and like it a lot, but the curved screen is making it really hard to find a good case for it. None of them have a built in screen protector, since the built in types decrease the sensitivity on the curved screen, even the Otterboxes don't have a built in, enclosed screen protector, which is what I have always used.

Right now I have a Speck grippy case on it which I love, but I'm so used to having bulky cases I'm still treating this thing like a baby, lol....

Well, I treat any new phone like a baby. That's the time when you are most acutely aware of how much $$$$ they are really worth! It always wears off.

I also have a Speck grippy case (Galaxy S7 Edge). I like it a lot. I have other cuter cases, but man they feel so slippery after getting used to the grippy Speck, especially for the big-ish phones. I have never had a case with a built in screen protector, but I do like how the speck wraps up around the phone. I use a stick on screen protector and have been happy with it. It is nice and clear and has stayed really well for the past year.

I have never personally carried an iPhone as my everyday phone. But, I'm VERY familiar due to work and having an iPad and my kids both have iPhones. AND, my parents just switched to iPhones. My mom from a Galaxy and my dad from a flip phone. My dad is pretty anti-tech, but he picked up faster than mom, mainly because she had to re-learn a new OS and he was starting from, well, a flip phone. He was a blank slate. Lol.

I will say there have been a handful of things where they have asked, why can't I do XYZ and I've researched it for them, certain I'd find a workaround, but have failed. It is a bit frustrating coming from Android where you would have been able to change it up, but nothing major. I really think you can adapt one way to the other, IF you are open-minded. I think some people are so married to their "side" that they probably should never switch, but for many people, they'll adapt. They are both phenomenal devices that are truly amazing if you stop and go back just a handful of years..... I am considering an iPhone for my next phone only because of a very specific Apple Watch thing I'm interested in. I dunno though, there are things I'd miss for sure. If I end up not liking it, I'd pass it off to a kid when the next upgrade came along. Ha.