PDA

View Full Version : Recommend five-star resorts on West Coast??

mackmama
08-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Our extended family is planning a reunion. Can anyone recommend a five-star resort on the West Coast that is friendly for ages 6-19 plus adults? Trip will be next Thanksgiving so someplace that will be warm is preferable. Caveats: No cruises, not Hawaii, no snow - warm only, and can't be high elevation. Thanks!

solsister
08-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Not warm, but the new Lodge at Edgwood, in Lake Tahoe is AMAZING! Soooo beautiful, right on the lake, high end, all the way. We are going to do a staycation there for Thanksgiving, and hoping to have some family join us.

mackmama
08-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Not warm, but the new Lodge at Edgwood, in Lake Tahoe is AMAZING! Soooo beautiful, right on the lake, high end, all the way. We are going to do a staycation there for Thanksgiving, and hoping to have some family join us.

Sounds pretty but definitely not looking for snow.

bisous
08-18-2017, 06:59 PM
How warm? California coast can be nice in November but it is never really WARM. It can be in the 50s which is still warm for some locales but not remotely tropical. I'm thinking The Lodge at Torrey Pines. I've never been BUT I WANT TO. :)

mackmama
08-18-2017, 07:20 PM
How warm? California coast can be nice in November but it is never really WARM. It can be in the 50s which is still warm for some locales but not remotely tropical. I'm thinking The Lodge at Torrey Pines. I've never been BUT I WANT TO. :)

Yeh that one's near the top of our list. :)

MMMommy
08-18-2017, 07:23 PM
I don't think there are many places that promise to be warm in the West Coast in November. There is a chance it could still be warm, but it could be still a bit chilly in November.

In So Cal, these are nice resorts--

Monarch Beach Resort (Dana Point, CA)--I believe this used to be the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort.

Terranea Resort (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA)

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel

bcafe
08-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Torrey Pines is nice as is La Jolla as a whole. DH has played the course as well. The views are beautiful!

mom2binsd
08-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, could be pretty warm.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
08-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Plenty of 5 star places in Phoenix, Tucson, Palm Springs...haven't stayed in any so can't help there, just pointing out locations.

smilequeen
08-19-2017, 12:02 AM
We have stayed here

http://www.fairmont.com/san-diego/?cmpid=google_gdm_search-brand-topus_branded-the-grand-del-mar-e-revsh&gclid=CjwKCAjwoNrMBRB4EiwA_ODYvxWWWVfLYv_5GXmLki7h m1yWue8TtMu1URaUKX4ivyxMTbXbfi7RPRoCdl4QAvD_BwE

and here a few times

http://www.fourseasons.com/scottsdale/landing_3/?gclid=CjwKEAjwoNrMBRD4-viTlaj42GcSJAD84Ni_oS1JfiWwiHkyHh_Mh6DagMNMe7MZ3aH FLqLCQr1jZRoC5MXw_wcB&source=gaw17sco02&s_kwcid=AL!4732!3!192983867264!e!!!!four+seasons+s cottsdale&ef_id=UwlffAAABLt6gWiB:20170819035942:s

California
08-19-2017, 01:39 AM
The Lodge at Torrey Pines and the Hotel Del have, IMO, two very different atmospheres. We met up with friends at The Lodge in Torrey Pines and I thought it had a very peaceful feel to it. Beautiful place. It's a good choice if you want to go on a hike, go to Birch Aquarium, and just linger by a pool. More craftsman-style and serene.

Coronado Island, on the other hand, to me feels like going back to the 1950's. Slower pace, ride a bike around... it's wonderful in a different way. The beach is fantastic for kids. Gentle slope, soft sand, and easy sand castle building. Up until a year ago, my aunt and uncle lived a few blocks from the Hotel Del. We loved to visit. We rented surreys a couple of times and cruised around the board walk. We bought ice cream at the Del and walked around the grounds. Not sure if they'll have the Christmas decorations up yet at Thanksgiving- if they do it's pretty magical for kids at night.

Can't go wrong with either one!

3isEnough
08-19-2017, 01:49 AM
Another vote for Terranea or the Montage in Laguna Beach.

sariana
08-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Great Wolf Lodge in Garden Grove? I attended a company holiday party there, and it was very nice. Obviously fun for kids. It's indoors, so weather won't be a concern. (The West Coast is iffy in November.) if you wanted to branch out, it's not far from Downtown Disney and various beaches.

Kindra178
08-19-2017, 08:35 AM
I think you need to goto Phoenix to get "really warm."

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

westwoodmom04
08-19-2017, 08:50 AM
I think you need to goto Phoenix to get "really warm."

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Or Palm Sprimga, but definitely could get chilly weather, in coastal ca.

mmsmom
08-19-2017, 09:25 AM
The Phoenician, Marriott, Four Seasons in Scottsdale (there are some other 5* there too) or the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix.

It will likely be warm but I was there for Thanksgiving once when there were a couple cold days though that was unusual.

ArizonaGirl
08-19-2017, 11:24 AM
I live in Phoenix and it will be warm at Thanksgiving, barring some unusual weather. It is the start of the really nice weather out here with hiking, and golf and the zoo and aquarium and other outdoor activities.

AnnieW625
08-19-2017, 11:47 AM
LaCosta Resort and Spa in Carlsbad (https://m.omnihotels.com/h5/property?pagePath=%2Fhotels%2Fsan-diego-la-costa) is supposed to be excellent and weather in San Diego over Thanksgiving is usually in the 70s or low 80s.

The Hotel Del or Loews Coronado would be on my list as well.

There won't be much snow in November in Tahoe.

Palm Springs will be kind of warm as well, but not boiling. DH has stayed at the Renaissance Esmeralda in Indian Wells (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/pspsr-renaissance-indian-wells-resort-and-spa/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2) for work and has enjoyed the time he spent there. It is on our short list for a weekend away.

In Palm Springs we have also stayed at Marriott Vacation Club Shadow Ridge Villas (http://m.marriottvacationclub.com/vacation-resorts/marriott-shadow-ridge/overview.shtml) and they are nice because they have full kitchens, BBQ pits and grills, plus a few large pools and one with a water slide. I wouldn't consider it a 5 star resort though; but great for families and those who like golf and the workout facilities are nice. Fwiw: we have never been pressured to listen to a timeshare presentation although their timeshare presentation infomercial is on one of the tv stations 24/7.

Also the Montage in south Orange County is supposed to be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
08-19-2017, 01:34 PM
I lived in San Diego for 5 years, Thanksgiving most years it was quite warm, mid to upper 70's, twice I remember it being quite hot in the mid 80's. I'd pick a place that has easy flights in and out (LA/Orange County/San Diego/Phoenix).

For older kids, I would not do Great Wolf Lodge, their parks are more geared towards 12 and under, and unless the one in Garden Grove is way nicer than their other properties, I would not consider it 5 star.

I'd also make sure there is shopping/golf etc within an easy Uber distance so folks don't necessarily have to rent a car. Or something like La Costa in Carlsbad, golfing on site, shopping nearby.