PDA

View Full Version : S/O taking work home, when do you teachers get your planning & grading done?

ourbabygirl
08-18-2017, 03:34 PM
I used to teach high schoolers and had so much planning and (mostly) grading to do at night and on weekends. I used to dread Sundays, because that's when I'd do the majority of the catch-up of grading and entering grades online. I've been a SAHM since our oldest was born, but I plan to go back FT in a few years, which I'm also kind of dreading.

Those of you who are teachers, especially at the upper levels where you have a lot of grading to do (essays, projects, etc.), when do you do it? Any suggestions for me to work 'smarter' so I don't have to kill myself at night and on weekends? I didn't think I could be a good mom and a good teacher at the same time, and I know it can be done, but need to learn how before I head back to work.

I really want to have more life balance when I start working, especially since I'll have 3 kids' schedules to work around (sports, etc.), and it will be all on me when DH has work trips. Any tips from your own experience?

Thanks for your help!

umsh
08-18-2017, 03:56 PM
I'd love to hear from other teacher moms on this too...I've also been a SAHM since having kids and took this year as my "gap year" between my youngest going to kindergarten and me going back to work.
I'm an elementary teacher and before having kids worked 2-3 hours every day after dismissal...that's just not doable anymore with three kids of my own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
08-18-2017, 07:28 PM
My kids go to bed by 8, so I do some work then, and then I do a lot on Sunday. Probably several hours worth on Sunday. We do not having planning time built into our school day, so I use my recess time and before school time to make any copies. I'm usually out the door within 30 minutes of school ending. I prioritize what I need to grade, vs what the students can self correct.

Green_Tea
08-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Elementary teacher here. I go in at least an hour early every day and work before school. I work through every lunch and recess I get, and stay late on days I can (but usually I have to shuttle my kids somewhere). I go into school on many Sunday mornings. I don't get a lot done at home, but if I have a quiet hour at school I can whip through work.

PZMommy
08-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Elementary teacher here. I go in at least an hour early every day and work before school. I work through every lunch and recess I get, and stay late on days I can (but usually I have to shuttle my kids somewhere). I go into school on many Sunday mornings. I don't get a lot done at home, but if I have a quiet hour at school I can whip through work.

I wish we could go to work outside of school hours. Usually 2 Saturdays a year they open the school. We are not allowed to be at school unless the custodian and an administrator are there. We have no way to gain access to the building, or the gates to campus.

Green_Tea
08-18-2017, 11:21 PM
That stinks :(. When I first started teaching we would need to sign out a key from the office, but our district switched to key cards so now we have 24/7 access. It has its pros and cons - I can always get in, which means I never have an excuse not to work. Sometimes not being able to access your "office" can be a perk!