PDA

View Full Version : Solar Eclipse - Anyone doing anything special with their kiddos??

ckso
08-18-2017, 04:28 PM
We're in SoCal so only 69% totality. Still a pretty cool rare event. Anyways, the kids are in school and when I tried asking the teacher, I don't think anything was decided. Each teacher is doing their own thing in their class so it might just be some educational talk about the science of it and possibly live streaming from NASA website. The school didn't get glasses for the kids and the teacher probably can't handle that many kids to make sure they don't look directly at the sun without protection so I get it.

So in talking to another mom, she mentioned that she was thinking of pulling her kids out around the time it reaches it's maximum and let the kids experience the eclipse with proper glasses/eye protection of course. And then send them back to class afterwards. Is this a crazy idea?? DD2's kinder teacher said it was totally fine, but that's kinder. DD1 is in 3rd grade and I'm not sure how the teacher feels about that either. It's only our 3rd day of school so I'm not sure if she frowns upon stuff like that.

So....thoughts?? Ideas??

Please share what you are planning on doing, if anything with your kids.

trcy
08-18-2017, 04:52 PM
It's an excused absence in our district (and neighboring ones). So check with your school. Though we aren't doing anything different. I don't have glasses and DD would likely quickly lose interest. Our peak is going to be right around the time DD is getting into the car, so I am going to try to get a live feed on my phone so she can watch it on the drive home.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jren
08-18-2017, 04:58 PM
We're at 98% here, but are getting up super early and driving to a town to experience totality. They have a lot of activities planned, so I'm thinking the crowds and action will keep the kids interested. We have glasses, but the kids will likely not want to wear them except for short periods. I can't imagine my 8yo DS staring up at the sun for the entire time of the partial eclipse! We are also making a pinhole projector and will bring it along.

I remember looking through a pinhole projector as a kid. We were at school and went outside. I must've been in 1st or 2nd grade? It was a memorable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
08-18-2017, 05:18 PM
We will be in the Sacramento area and will be at our hotel until around 11 and then will be driving to the airport. The eclipse should be gone by the time our plane leaves.

Indianamom2
08-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Our private school cancelled school for the "safety" of the kids. I'm not thrilled. I work from home and Monday is very busy for me so no special plans.

bisous
08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
We are going to head to the local library where we're hoping to pick up some of their glasses. I'm not sure if there are any planned activities there or not.

PZMommy
08-18-2017, 07:31 PM
We are already back in school. Our Elem schools are sheltering in place from 9-12, so I won't be doing anything with my own kids.

carolinacool
08-18-2017, 09:55 PM
DS is in the final week of Y summer camp next week. I talked to the director the other day and she said that there are sheltering the kids inside for safety reason. They're going to have a lot of eclipse-themed crafts going on, and they're planning to live stream it. She did say that parents are more than welcome to come grab their kids and take them out for the peak, then they can come back to camp. DH is planning to leave work and do that. One of the people that he supervises bought a big pack of glasses about three months ago and gave us three pairs. I'm really grateful to her now because I really didn't realize how big of a deal this would be. There's a city park right beside my office building holding an event, so I just plan to step outside for a few minutes there.

ang79
08-18-2017, 10:19 PM
I'm in PA and I wasn't thinking this would be a big deal here, but my kids would probably like to see at least part of the sun blocked out (we are in a 77% coverage zone). Any idea where I can buy last minute solar glasses? Kicking myself for not really paying attention a few weeks ago when I saw something posted at our library (I think it said Walmart was selling the approved glasses, but since I hate going to Walmart, I didn't follow up on that).

DualvansMommy
08-18-2017, 10:29 PM
We'll be down the shore for our vacation by then. Not sure yet, definitely some beach and boardwalk that day and will do town Ecilpse activities if they're running any that afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carolinacool
08-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I'm in PA and I wasn't thinking this would be a big deal here, but my kids would probably like to see at least part of the sun blocked out (we are in a 77% coverage zone). Any idea where I can buy last minute solar glasses? Kicking myself for not really paying attention a few weeks ago when I saw something posted at our library (I think it said Walmart was selling the approved glasses, but since I hate going to Walmart, I didn't follow up on that).

In the other thread, people mentioned that Walmart and Lowe's home improvement had legit glasses. Whether they still have them at this point is another question, but I would definitely call or stop by. You could also try any of your local children's museum's or science museums, etc.

pharmjenn
08-18-2017, 10:43 PM
My brother posted that Harris Teeter in the Northern Virginia area was selling them. Well, they were selling "lunar eclipse glasses":ROTFLMAO:

marymoo86
08-19-2017, 10:10 PM
NASa app will be like streaming so most likely will do that. In the path of totality with a rooftop deck with the approved glasses but with the chance of permanent eye damage not sure if I want to chance the littles. TV may have to suffice.

Pear
08-19-2017, 11:33 PM
We are taking Dd out of school so she can experience the eclipse properly. We are about 15 miles from totality so we are packing an eclipsed themed picnic lunch and heading to a park where we can get the ideal experience.

smilequeen
08-19-2017, 11:55 PM
We are in the totality area. Our schools have viewing events. I am going with my littles. My oldest is staying at his school for their event.

lizzywednesday
08-20-2017, 09:42 AM

State/national parks and definitely science museums are planning to host events (that include activities other than viewing) if your library is out of glasses. If you opt for those, and there aren't official RSVPs, do plan to get there early. Glasses will be "while supplies last."

If you're near a Warby Parker store, call to see if they have any left. Some stores had a few the other day, but demand exceeded supply.

I'm taking my DD to our local library; we will be provided with glasses but, as I understand it, there will also be crafts and science info for the earlier portion of the scheduled event. (The library event starts at 2pm; we'll be at our ~70%+ around 2:44pm, per NASA and NOAA.)

AnnieW625
08-20-2017, 01:10 PM
If my kids were in school tomorrow (they go back Wednesday) I would leave them in school mainly because I would not want to be disrupting the day any further (I figure the school or any school will have a plan in place) and I really wouldn't want to take the time off work. We are SoCal residents as well so 69-70% is predicted for our area as well, but we will be in the Sacramento area and are expected to get 80% totality. We have glasses my dad bought at 7-11. Kids are back in school here (Sacramento) so hopefully we will be able to find some space at a park near here to check it out.

ang79
08-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Apparently I live in a bum area, as neither our libraries or state parks are doing events for this! Well, one library is doing morning activities about the eclipse, but not viewing. I think we will make a pinhole projector today to try out tomorrow.

IansMom
08-20-2017, 01:59 PM
We are in a 95% area. DS' elementary school has purchased glasses for the kids and families are invited to come and watch on the field at 1 pm. I had to sign a permission slip. Students who don't have permission will watch live streaming inside the school. School is also extended an extra 45 minutes but if you are viewing with your child, you can check them out when you leave. The district next to us is dismissing early--at 11 am.

mom2binsd
08-20-2017, 03:15 PM
My DS's 6th grade science class ordered glasses ahead of time, we had to sign a waiver so he could view it with his class, using certified glasses. DD is high school, they just today sent an email that we can sign a waiver and they can bring their own glasses (of course around here where it's at 95% totality, there are no glasses to be had). I'm going to be at work and we plan to share glasses and take turns looking at the eclipse.

georgiegirl
08-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Ugh, it's going to be cloudy here. Big bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ellies mom
08-20-2017, 05:18 PM
We are only 50 miles from totality so we are driving down for a viewing party our local science museum is putting on. It comes with viewing glasses but we bought a spare set in case something happens and we don't make it to the event. I just got done making pinhole projectors with DD2 and her BF. DD2 ended up with an extra extra pair of viewers so we will send them home with her BF as well. I figure it would be fun to have the projector to look through while we are waiting for totality.

94bruin
08-20-2017, 07:16 PM
We're in a 75% coverage area.

Last week was the first week of school, so I didn't learn until Friday what the plan was. For the elementary school, they are keeping kids inside for the entire time of the eclipse. Normally, they have recess right at the peak. A parent donated enough eclipse glasses for all the kids, so the kids will go out in small groups with parent volunteers. I will help my daughter's 3rd grade class.

As for the middle school there are no donated glasses, so students are on their own. The email sent out Friday just says that teachers will have their classrooms open (peak is during their "brunch") for the NASA live-stream. However, DD1 says that her science teacher purchased eclipse glasses for her students, so that's what she'll use during science class, which I believe is her first class. She'll only see the very beginings of the eclipse. She isn't very excited about the exclipse, so that'll probably be enough for her. I'll just remind her not to look at the sun without the glasses (which I've been doing all week anyways.)

squimp
08-20-2017, 10:39 PM
We are in totality, it is pretty exciting here. People are renting out their yards and farms for viewers. We can see the sun from our house at that time, but we want to see the circular sunset so we are going to a nearby field to watch.

rlu
08-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Ugh, it's going to be cloudy here. Big bummer. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fog here but it's starting to burn off. Expected eclipse time is about 10:15am so there's still time for the fog to dissipate. At least it is fog and not wildfire smoke. We're about 75%

DS is not in school yet. He has a pair of Cisco-donated glasses my sister got for him so he's planning to go out and look.

I read that dogs don't generally stare at the sun, but could act unexpectedly during the eclipse (probably due to the human excitement in the air) so it is suggested to keep dogs on leash if in unfenced areas.

eta: fog burned off, we're taking turns going outside to see. Cool but wouldn't be worth pulling from school for what we're getting.

twowhat?
08-21-2017, 01:51 PM
My kids are watching the live feed indoors at school but I have a mirror taped to a tripod in the backyard. I'm getting a good 5-6inch diameter projection on the inside of a large shoebox. It's awesome! I'm taking a bunch of pictures as time goes by so I can show the kids later.

AnnieW625
08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
This is the one photo I got from Sacramento (we were watching it from Mather Field where my in laws were leaving Sacto in their plane). This was pretty close to 80% totality at 10:15 pdt. I wish I could've gotten the same quality photo that I saw through my eclipse glasses. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/2fd76fa23f7a780039462780c470b1b4.jpg

gatorsmom
08-21-2017, 02:28 PM
We are in Wisconsin and will have 83% totality. The kids are all at an art camp for the day. I sent them with pin hole viewers we made with paper plates. Hopefully the camp director will let them out for a few minutes to try the viewer. Dh and I are outside like kids making pinholes with our interlaced fingers and looking for crescents. We found a bunch of crescents through the leaves of our trees and outdoor plants. Pretty cool.

94bruin
08-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Lots of cloud cover here. You'd see it for a few minutes, then it would disappear for a few minutes. My 3rd grader was able to see it for a few minutes.

It's about over here and the clouds are now just gone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
08-21-2017, 03:00 PM
I ended up putting on a movie for the littles and taking the big kids out to see from our front yard with the glasses. It was REALLY cool! It was cool to see the half moon shapes underneath the trees as well. My big kids won't forget this. When we got back in I took my 5 year old out to look with the glasses too. My 3yo missed out but I was really concerned that she wouldn't be respectful of the rule to only use the glasses. What I discovered is that where we're at (70% blocked) the sun was still REALLY bright to look at and the kids and I had no trouble NOT looking at the sun. Maybe it is more tempting where more of the sun is blocked. Still, the air felt cooler, and the light was really bizarre looking, kinda like when there's a fire in the area.

ellies mom
08-21-2017, 03:24 PM
I ended up putting on a movie for the littles and taking the big kids out to see from our front yard with the glasses. It was REALLY cool! It was cool to see the half moon shapes underneath the trees as well. My big kids won't forget this. When we got back in I took my 5 year old out to look with the glasses too. My 3yo missed out but I was really concerned that she wouldn't be respectful of the rule to only use the glasses. What I discovered is that where we're at (70% blocked) the sun was still REALLY bright to look at and the kids and I had no trouble NOT looking at the sun. Maybe it is more tempting where more of the sun is blocked. Still, the air felt cooler, and the light was really bizarre looking, kinda like when there's a fire in the area.

We were at totality and even right before and after totality, it was still super bright even with the light being so different. So it wasn't like if you look at the sun you could see something cool. It was just like looking at the sun.

squimp
08-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Yep, during totality it was as if you put your hand in front of the sun, then as you move your hand away it is super bright. We could see a few very bright stars, it got very cool, and the birds were all flying into the trees to roost. Immediately as the moon started to move, the sun came out super bright.

ellies mom
08-21-2017, 03:43 PM
Yep, during totality it was as if you put your hand in front of the sun, then as you move your hand away it is super bright. We could see a few very bright stars, it got very cool, and the birds were all flying into the trees to roost. Immediately as the moon started to move, the sun came out super bright.

We were at the fairgrounds in Salem so not much nature around to do cool things. That was a bit disappointing but they had drummers leading into first contact and totality and it was an incredible feeling. Oddly primal.

gcc2k
08-21-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm visiting my best friend in Erie, PA, and even though we were only at 75%, (as opposed to 86% where I ive in VA) it was a clear day and am amazing experience. We discovered Erie is in the path of totality for the April 8, 2024 eclipse so I already reserved her guest room for us!:hysterical:

squimp
08-21-2017, 04:26 PM
We were at the fairgrounds in Salem so not much nature around to do cool things. That was a bit disappointing but they had drummers leading into first contact and totality and it was an incredible feeling. Oddly primal.

That sounds very cool! For some reason I thought you were out in John Day. We were in a field near the woods. People were yelling and clapping. DH was playing sun themed songs on his phone. Here Comes the Sun, Blinded by the Light, Black Hole Sun were hits. I wanted totality to last longer!

ang79
08-21-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm visiting my best friend in Erie, PA, and even though we were only at 75%, (as opposed to 86% where I ive in VA) it was a clear day and am amazing experience. We discovered Erie is in the path of totality for the April 8, 2024 eclipse so I already reserved her guest room for us!:hysterical:

I live in Central PA where we had about 77% today. The girls and I told DH we are totally road tripping to Erie in 2024 :)

NCGrandma
08-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Not really kiddo-related, but did anyone else see the news photos of Donald Trump on the White House balcony staring up at the sky with no eye protection at all? At least Melania was wearing what looked like designer sunglasses. Apparently some staffer produced eclipse glasses for them shortly after.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

elizabethkott
08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Here are some pictures of the pictures my dad took on his awesome camera... we're currently in Paducah, KY and we had about 2:30 of totality. Since we're on the road, we can't upload the actual pictures lol! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/ff148ec5ef3a7b0370526649a84b2dd3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/c32566e5866ea1bc9997309da9190601.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/f2ac8d190aeb75a12c6a59f61bb5dd83.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/e5756b97f3e9ff3178f7b4fc9206441c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/0269445425f52f9cc9c8d4db37f2daca.jpg

carolinacool
08-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Welp. That was a dud. The only patch of rain in the ENTIRE state of North Carolina was over my city. Hundreds of us standing in a park staring at clouds.

DH drove out near our house to pull DS out of camp. They had better luck. Still some clouds but they eventually moved away.

Reposting from the other thread. Four hours later and I'm still peeved. It's like everyone got invited to the party but my city. lol

abh5e8
08-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Oh that stinks. We are in totality... It was awesome! A little cloudy, but not covering the sun. We took turns helping the kids hold their glasses on. We live in the country... And even heard the crickets. Now I'm not sure I would make a big trip for it, but it was really fun.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
08-21-2017, 08:40 PM
We only had a partial eclipse, but I kept the kids home, and lots of neighbor kids were home, and my friends came over with their kids. Lots of people on our street took a little time off work to come to be with their families. My friend made a pinhole viewer with binoculars to magnify the image, and we shared around several pairs of glasses. The kids ran around and in and out of the house. We peeked every little while to see the progress, and we were all out (neighbors, kids, friends-- like a little block party) when the sun was most blocked. It was really cool to see the light dim and feel the heat dissipate. I was so grateful, because DH is away, and I waited too late to get glasses, and by last week they had all sold out. I was worried I'd have to settle for watching on tv when I really wanted to look at it in person and have the kids get to see it. Thanks to my great community, I not only got to look again and again, but I was with a whole bunch of people experiencing it together, and I didn't feel lonely, or stressed, or like I was missing out. It was a great experience. I wish we had been able to travel to a site of totality as a family, but since we couldn't do that, and DH had to be away, this was really the next best thing.

c&j04
08-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Here are some pictures of the pictures my dad took on his awesome camera... we're currently in Paducah, KY and we had about 2:30 of totality. Since we're on the road, we can't upload the actual pictures lol!

:waving4: we were in Paducah too!

KrisM
08-21-2017, 10:23 PM
We were in Nashville and it was about the coolest thing we've experienced. Amazing. Kids loved it too. Totally worth the 1200 miles RT and the crazy traffic!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

jren
08-22-2017, 08:16 AM
It was amazing. DS thought looking at the partial phases was cool, but as we watched the last minute before total, things changed. You could feel the excitement grow. Once we were at total and took off our glasses, everyone was jumping up and down and cheering. We had 2 1/2 minutes of totality.

It was totally worth the trip! We drove back road roads. Took less than 2 hours to get there, 2 1/2 hours to get home. Barely saw any traffic. We got a book signed by an astronaut and got to do tons of fun experiments. So glad we made the last minute decision to go.

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2017, 08:27 AM
It was amazing. DS thought looking at the partial phases was cool, but as we watched the last minute before total, things changed. You could feel the excitement grow. Once we were at total and took off our glasses, everyone was jumping up and down and cheering. We had 2 1/2 minutes of totality.

It was totally worth the trip! We drove back road roads. Took less than 2 hours to get there, 2 1/2 hours to get home. Barely saw any traffic. We got a book signed by an astronaut and got to do tons of fun experiments. So glad we made the last minute decision to go.

My ds and dh took a long road trip to see it and dh said our teen had the same experience. Said he was interested in the eclipse but absolutely wowed by the totality. I'm ok with missing it (and the drive and sleeping in a tent in my aunt's bank yard) but so glad those 2 went. Here's to 2024!

jren
08-22-2017, 08:39 AM
My ds and dh took a long road trip to see it and dh said our teen had the same experience. Said he was interested in the eclipse but absolutely wowed by the totality. I'm ok with missing it (and the drive and sleeping in a tent in my aunt's bank yard) but so glad those 2 went. Here's to 2024!

Not sure I'd have wanted to stay in a tent! Lol. We could've easily made the wrong choice in going. Weather where I live was supposed to be sunny and we were 98%. Weather where we went for 100% was cloudy. And there were reports beforehand to expect massive traffic delays. I wouldn't have thought it was as awesome if we'd ended up watching it in the rain with an 8 hour drive at the end! We did get some cloud coverage during the partial phases, but they moved out of the way at just the right time.

KrisM
08-22-2017, 09:16 AM
We had a 10 hour drive to get to Nashville, but 17 hours to get home. We tried getting off the highway a couple times, but it was just awful, so we went with it. Next time, I'll get 2 nights in the hotel!

TwinFoxes
08-22-2017, 04:40 PM
We were in the totality zone, and it was cloudy all day...until about 15 minutes before the eclipse. The clouds parted and it was amazing. My kids were literally screaming with excitement. It got pretty dark where we were, the light had a different quality than say, dusk. Thankfully we had another night in our hotel, there apparently was a 100 mile backup yesterday, and my friend's daughter was on the road for 13 hours for a normally 8 hour drive.

lizzywednesday
08-22-2017, 05:47 PM
DD and I had fun at the library event, even with her throwing a fit about not being able to work with one of her pals from kindergarten for a demonstration of what we'd see (they used a paper plate and a nickel to demonstrate perspective and why the sun and the moon appear to be the same size in the sky despite the sun being magnitudes bigger than the moon)

We had glasses as well as a projector I made from a Chinet plate (but I goofed & didn't realize it needed an additional step; if it holds up for the next few years, we'll have it in 2024 and I'll fix it)

While we didn't get a total eclipse, it was still pretty cool. And it got about 4 degrees F cooler during the event. (I was recording data on my phone.)

bisous
08-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Wow. Pretty much everyone that I know or have heard from that was in a place that experienced the totality cannot seem to overstate how cool it was. Makes me really want to try to get to it next time it comes around!

jren
08-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Wow. Pretty much everyone that I know or have heard from that was in a place that experienced the totality cannot seem to overstate how cool it was. Makes me really want to try to get to it next time it comes around!

Do it! I am so glad we risked it and went. We live nowhere near the 2024 eclipse, so I figured this was my only shot.

chottumommy
08-22-2017, 06:31 PM
We were in the path of totality. The kids viewed it through their eclipse glasses, pinhole projector and also through couple of telescopes with that we setup in the cul-de-sac. It was awe-inspiring - the diamond ring, the light riples just before totality, the change in the shadow of the trees, the fall in temperature.

This is my second total eclipse. The last time I was in undergrad and happened to be 10 miles from totality in a desert in Oct with clear blue skies.

Not sure I will get to see it again without considerable travel but would be totally worth it to travel. I am hoping this would be one event our kids will remember from their childhood.

smilequeen
08-22-2017, 06:53 PM
We were so glad we got to experience that. I ended up picking up DS1 from school and taking him to the other 2 boys' school to watch all together. They weren't taking the 1st graders out, but we checked DS3 out of his class so he could watch too. The totality was truly awesome!

KrisM
08-22-2017, 10:07 PM

Yes! I agree. It was just awesome. Even after spending a total of 27 hours in the car, for a 1 night in a hotel stay and a 2 minute event - all 3 of my kids say they want to do it again in 7 years.

California
08-22-2017, 10:45 PM
We were supposed to be in Oregon and instead ended up at home in Cali for back-to-back memorials. We were sad on many counts. Attended a neighborhood party, I had the eclipse glasses, the kids played around with converted cereal boxes, it was still neat and we are surrounded by lots of love and care... but seriously disappointed not to be in Oregon!!! Seven years is a long time for a kid. Mine are talking about South America in two years :-)

TwinFoxes
08-23-2017, 08:23 AM

It's one of those things like the Grand Canyon, words and photos can't really capture how amazing it really is. We were on a beach, and people were applauding and cheering, my friend actually teared up at the sight. I don't know why it was so cool, it just was.

Seitvonzu
08-24-2017, 10:56 AM
months ago when i was setting up my schedule, i pretty much DEMANDED that i have august 21st off work. i wanted to be able to pull my child from school because our town would only be at 93% (work was something like 98% (it's a little south of where i live...). i was determined that i wanted to look at that sun with GLASSES OFF!!!

anyway, i got that day off (actually 6 surrounding the eclipse, and boy did i need them! ;)), but 2 days before the eclipse my knucklehead child says to me she wants to stay at school and see it with her friends. so i'm pretty much freaking out (my mom & i had a huge plan which my uncle was travelling down for too), but I sorta come around and think "ok, ok...she's quirky and she finally wants to do something with her friends. ok. fine." i even get in this whole texting argument with a childless man "friend" from work who is basically telling me i'm the parent and i shouldn't let my child tell me what to do and should force her to stick with the plan! *grumble* (that's probably a bitchingpost) anyway..... as it tends to do in the midwest, the weather forecast for our area started to look pretty questionable, so pretty much as soon as i settled on letting my kiddo stay around here (and me staying with her), plans changed AGAIN.

anywho-- she quickly came around to wanting to see 100% and i'm so glad-- i can only describe it as seeing the eye of God. there really are no words-- it was a feeling. pictures can't do justice--because it really wasn't about seeing -- my heart literally stopped for a minute when i took off those glasses and it's no exaggeration to say that i'm planning how i can get to Argentina to see their eclipse in 2019. i will certainly make every effort to see the eclipse in 2024-- we have family in Austin, tx...but i do hear that that's not even really necessary because it's back in our area again. :) :) :)

i had a coworker try to argue with me that they "saw" the same thing i did (that can't be true because they had to have the glasses even if it was 99% like she said (it wasn't, but whatever) . i tried to argue back at first, but quickly realized that there was no argument to make, because my experience was a feeling and they simply didn't get it. she tried to continue to mock me to another coworker who pretty quickly shut her down because everyone was trying to , at the very least, preserve my zen because i tend to be a little high strung at work, and a zen coworker is always a good thing! ha!

obviously i HIGHLY recommend the experience. i might be a bit at risk of becoming an eclipse junkie!

Seitvonzu
08-24-2017, 11:00 AM
one last thing... we weren't at a scenic location at all. we were in southern missouri (which is very beautiful) but at a walmart! it did not matter. my best friend was at yellowstone national park. i'm sure it would have been amazing there or at a beach.

but you have NEVER been at such a quiet walmart parking lot. people were dead silent waiting for this to happen. silent. and there were bathrooms and food and i could buy tons of craft supplies for my kid to make god's eyes starting at 7am (we got to walmart at 6:45am in anticipation of huge crowds that never really materialized...so this was good-- lots of access to STUFF, which my child forgot in my car when we got to my mom's house ;)) .

even from walmart, still awesome :) for me to have an appreciation of walmart? had to be a pretty amazing event ;)

Corie
08-24-2017, 12:25 PM
We got 90.5% coverage for the eclipse. I would have loved to have seen a total eclipse.

In 2024, it looks like Cincinnati gets 98-99% coverage. But we can drive to Dayton (1 hour away) and get 100%. :)
My kids will be in college at that point so who knows?

Seitvonzu
08-24-2017, 12:57 PM
We got 90.5% coverage for the eclipse. I would have loved to have seen a total eclipse.

In 2024, it looks like Cincinnati gets 98-99% coverage. But we can drive to Dayton (1 hour away) and get 100%. :)
My kids will be in college at that point so who knows?

corie- DO IT :) even if it's just YOU :) but totally take those college kiddos! DO IT DO IT :) totality :) commit now. (i am. a . junkie :)

baymom
08-24-2017, 02:04 PM
We flew to Denver from the Bay Area on Friday, went to a Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Jewel Caves, and then spent Sunday night in a tiny town in rural Wyoming about an hour north of totality. We left the hotel around 5am to get to the path of totality and had 2 minutes and 40 seconds of totality. It was absolutely breathtaking and I don't have words that can do justice to the entire experience. To have witnessed it in a rural town, in the middle of no where, that over a 100,000 people from over the country and world descended on for a day made the world feel small and close and the universe feel huge and magestic all at the same time. It was totally worth the time and money for our family and we are already planning on how/where we will see the next one!

Smillow
08-24-2017, 03:05 PM
I will definitely be seeking totality in 2024. It was a feeling. My friend took a picture of everyone's reactions (we didn't realize it) and from 6 to 50, we all had looks of amazement and elation. It was really something. We were in mt. Pleasant, SC.

jgenie
08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Would someone please link the site for the 2024 totality finder. I can't seem to find it. TIA

ellies mom
08-24-2017, 06:10 PM
The path of totality for the next eclipse passes through my hometown and the area where most of my family lives. We are already planning a family reunion for the eclipse.