PDA

View Full Version : Kids lunch ideas- protein to go with salad

mm123
08-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Hi all. Looking for lunch ideas for my DDs. They're both picky, and usually take very boring lunches.

We use the Easy Lunchboxes, and it's pretty much always a sandwich of some sort in the larger area, and then a vegetable and a fruit in the smaller areas.

My super-picky DDs have all of a sudden started loving salad (I think it's something to do with the yummy poppyseed dressing we've discovered). So, I've been putting salad (mostly greens and a few shredded veggies) in the large area, and try to put a protein and carb (e.g., crackers, mini pitas) in the two smaller areas. They won't eat the protein mixed in with the salad.

I'm looking for non-meat protein ideas to put on the side. So far, I've done cheese cubes, hummus, and cut up veggie dogs, but often the protein comes back un-eaten. We can't send nuts. I was thinking of trying some shelled edamame. Any other non-meat ideas?

abh5e8
08-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Beans, of any kind. Deviled or hard boiled egg. Cottage cheese. Greek yogurt.

MMMommy
08-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Tuna? My kids like tuna, but I know a lot of kids probably don't.

ang79
08-20-2017, 08:31 PM
My girls take boring lunches to school too and we also use the ELB. Usually a 1/2 PB sandwich and then fruit and veggie. Other proteins they like are cheese and pepperoni w/ crackers or pretzels, hard boiled egg, nuts or seeds (they love sunflower and pumpkin seeds), yogurt. They love cooked edamame, maybe I should try sending that cold this year.

mackmama
08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
My girls take boring lunches to school too and we also use the ELB. Usually a 1/2 PB sandwich and then fruit and veggie. Other proteins they like are cheese and pepperoni w/ crackers or pretzels, hard boiled egg, nuts or seeds (they love sunflower and pumpkin seeds), yogurt. They love cooked edamame, maybe I should try sending that cold this year.

Love the pepperoni idea!

jerseygirl07067
08-20-2017, 10:26 PM
hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, ham strips or cubes, turkey, chickpeas or whatever beans they like, shrimp, and one of my new faves, grilled tempeh strips. I just bought some chipotle flavored ones tonight, mmm mmm!