PDA

View Full Version : DC ankle sprain or possible fracture?

mackmama
08-20-2017, 10:05 PM
DC is 6yo and jumped off of a swing today while at playground with DH. I wasn't there, but DH said he could tell DC was hurt when it happened. DC didn't cry though and then went off running around and continued to play. Later at home, DC said it was hurting a little but was still running around the house and acting normal all day. Just before bed, DC started limping a little. DC said it doesn't hurt a lot but that limping is more comfortable. So what would you do? Wait it out, or see pedi/xray? Is this likely a strain, or could it be a hairline fracture? No swelling and no redness. DC tends to have a low pain threshold fwiw. This is DC's first injury, and I've never had a sprain (I always went for serious injuries that required immediate surgeries) so not sure what to do. Thanks.

jerseygirl07067
08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
I'd wait and see. Does he have swelling now? You can ice it for 15-20 mins either way, since if he is limping there must be some pain and inflammation and he is compensating . I'm guessing it is not fractured because he has been running around, and acting normal. Just observe him and see how he does over the next two days.

mackmama
08-20-2017, 10:17 PM
I'd wait and see. Does he have swelling now? You can ice it for 15-20 mins either way, since if he is limping there must be some pain and inflammation and he is compensating . I'm guessing it is not fractured because he has been running around, and acting normal. Just observe him and see how he does over the next two days.

No swelling or redness at all. We iced it for about 10 mins after the playground but not since.

jerseygirl07067
08-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Can you palpate around his ankle and see if there a specific area where he is tender? Move his ankle gently up and down, and side to side and see if that bothers him.

mackmama
08-20-2017, 10:28 PM
Can you palpate around his ankle and see if there a specific area where he is tender? Move his ankle gently up and down, and side to side and see if that bothers him.

I just did and nothing hurts pushing around on it and moving it gently.

jerseygirl07067
08-20-2017, 10:30 PM
I'm almost off to bed but you can try one more thing....can he come up on his tippy toes okay? On both legs together? Then just one leg? Can he stand on one leg without pain?

PZMommy
08-20-2017, 10:35 PM
My DS did something similar a few weeks ago, but off the stairs. He was unable to put any weight on it at all. I thought for sure it was broken. It was late at night, and I was not about to go to the ER, so we went to urgent care first thing the next morning when he was still unable to put any weight on it. They x-rayed his foot and ankle, and nothing was broken. They put a splint on it, and told him to stay off of it for a few days, and then gradually start using it. I think he only made it a day before he was limping around on it, and then within a few days he was pretty much back to normal.

My guess is your DS just twisted his ankle and may have a slight sprain. If he was able to continue running around on it at the park, I doubt it is broken.

doberbrat
08-21-2017, 12:11 AM
If my kids were able to continue playing and were hobbling around with a slight limp not screaming in pain, I'd wait it out. Esp if the swelling is minor. Give some motrin to help with pain/swelling and ice it down for 10min per hour (remember to keep a towel on between ice and skin) and wait for a few days. If it started to swell or there was significant bruising or was really limiting activity, then I'd take them in.

JBaxter
08-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Little ice little ibuprofen and go on with life. I generally don't pay much attention unless they tell me it really hurts, it swells or bruises. Fracture would be no where on my radar with those symptoms you will know when she gets up. If its tender in this morning give a dose of ibuprofen put on lace up supportive shoes for any walking today and not make a big deal about it. She will tell you if it hurts. We do a ton of sports and bumps/ bruises mild sprains are common. I keep self adherent wrap around and give a light wrap for support ( looks like ace wrap only slightly tacky so it sticks to itself and you can cut what you need) If its not swollen and only a slight limp I wouldn't bother with the doctor they will take xrays and honestly even low radiation is not necessary sometimes.

AnnieW625
08-21-2017, 10:28 AM
If it still hurts this am take DC to urgent care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
08-21-2017, 06:39 PM
DC woke up fine and hasn't complained about ankle at all. Instead DC got a good cut with a lot of blood flowing so we are now onto the next issue. :banghead: