PDA

View Full Version : QUICK HELP: Freezing a fully decorated cake with whipped cream frosting??

ckso
08-22-2017, 08:18 PM
So....I screwed up and apparently didn't order the birthday cake early enough :(

We're ordering at Ralphs, my girls LOVE the flavors of their cakes and LOVE the cake decorator. Problem is that she so happens not to work the day I need it. I love it cuz it fits my budget.

So....she said the only way she can take the order is if she make it Thursday, freeze it and I can pick up Friday night (my party is 9:30 AM Saturday). So my plan was to pick up Friday night FROZEN from Ralphs, take it to the restaurant Friday Night in their refrigerator so it can start thawing so it'll be ready by Saturday morning for the party.

I can go to another Ralphs but we have really good luck with this location regarding taste and design. The other ones near me always seem so rude.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering sooner. They told me I only needed a 24 hr advance notice but apparently that's not true.

So....Is it a bad idea to freeze a fully decorated cake with whipped cream frosting? Will it Thaw weird (ie. frosting gets runny?/cake design thawing weird) Change the taste??

Any experience with this?? My other option is another bakery I can go but will cost twice as much but the kids don't like as much.

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2017, 08:45 PM
You could just bake one. :) I do ever year. On years I'm feeling lazy, I simply "decorate" by spelling out their name and age in M&Ms. I use the Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake recipe if going chocolate.
I don't see why the cake can't keep in the fridge though. Freezer seems like overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
08-22-2017, 09:56 PM
I don't know why it has to be frozen. I think the fridge from Thursday to Saturday morning would be fine. We've picked up cakes with whipped frosting the day before and just put them in the fridge and they are fine a day later, and the leftovers are fine in the fridge for several days.

ckso
08-23-2017, 02:35 AM
You could just bake one. :) I do ever year. On years I'm feeling lazy, I simply "decorate" by spelling out their name and age in M&Ms. I use the Hershey's perfectly chocolate cake recipe if going chocolate.
I don't see why the cake can't keep in the fridge though. Freezer seems like overkill.

I don't know why it has to be frozen. I think the fridge from Thursday to Saturday morning would be fine. We've picked up cakes with whipped frosting the day before and just put them in the fridge and they are fine a day later, and the leftovers are fine in the fridge for several days.

I can't bake LOL. I'm just not good at it and wouldn't want to experiment with trying to make one and present it at a party. I'm envious of people who can though.

Freezing was recommended to me by the cake decorator. She said it keeps it looking and tasting the best.

Philly Mom
08-23-2017, 04:15 AM
If you freeze, it won't defrost in a day in the fridge. Personally, I think cakes taste best at room temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jren
08-23-2017, 09:22 AM
Our local grocery store (Harris Teeter) makes all their cakes in advance and freezes them. So if I order a cake for Saturday morning, it could be made and fully decorated any time earlier in the week and stuck in the freezer. They taste fine! Even professional bakers freeze their cakes. It thaws on the countertop quickly. We usually just take the cake directly from the store and leave it out until the party.

Mikey0709
08-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Like jren said above - - i believe MOST grocery stores all freeze their cakes. I actually think most price clubs (costco, sams, bj's) also do this. I happened to get one that was still partially frozen from Wegmans once. This is also how places can remain so consistent in quality. I think there is limited baking done in the store, but most cakes are transported in....some decorated, but others decorated in store.

And like she said - it should only take a short time thawing on countertop. I think if you take it from freezer to the party - it would be just fine in an hour or two.

Gracemom
08-23-2017, 11:22 AM
My sons last cake was frozen. It tasted great but there was a bit of condensation I had to blot off.

bw52
08-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Cakes dry out in the fridge, but not in the freezer. Thats why bakers freeze them instead. I've pulled my cakes out the morning of parties and they have always thawed in time. I left them out on the counter. Freezing doesn't change the flavor. I always freeze my layer cakes before stacking and decorating.

I don't freeze them frosted though, so not sure about that, but I would expect most chain stores use a frosting that can be frozen as I think they all do.