PDA

View Full Version : input on Planet Box size

musicalgrl
08-23-2017, 11:19 AM
I've been reading a lot about the various bento box-style lunch boxes and think I may finally bit the bullet on a Planet Box, mostly because it's supposed to do well in the dishwasher. I'm not sure whether to go with the Rover or Launch (Shuttle looks too small for us). Does anyone know if either of these will fit in the traditional PBK lunch box? Do you have one or the other and do you love it? TIA!

PZMommy
08-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Neither will fit in a pbk lunchbox. I found the rover to fit plenty for my kids.

twowhat?
08-23-2017, 02:26 PM
We used the Rover. It's really kind of huge and heavy. We bought it with the case because it will definitely not fit into a normal lunchbag. I loved that it was stainless steel but it ended up just not working for us for the following reasons (throwing this out there in case you need help deciding!):

It's not leakproof. They may have fixed this with some of the inserts that you can get for it now (though I have a hard time seeing how they'd make it leakproof), but not being EASILY leakproof proved to be a problem. In order to avoid leaks I had to do things like use the grab press n seal, or use the little round container with the seal on the lid - but you STILL had to tightly rubber-band that together (again, the lidded containers might have been redesigned to fix this HOWEVER using them takes up a lot of real estate inside the lunch box and cuts into space for other food). So I couldn't pack stuff like yogurt, applesauce, watermelon.

It's big...it fits in the dishwasher but we had 2 and it took up a large amount of space. I preferred to hand wash it, but even then because it's hinged - when you open it up it won't fit into a sink so then you're trying to wash it like a large pot, without getting water everywhere. Maybe the Launch would be better if this is an issue. Also, since the Rover is large it takes up a lot of real estate on the lunch table when opened. My kids had to be super careful to be sure it wasn't hanging off the edge of the table where it could be bumped and send an entire lunch crashing onto the floor.

It's heavy...my kids TOTALLY complained.

because the compartments aren't leakproof I had to go through too much trouble to arrange food in order to keep crackers separate from fruit, for example, so fruit juice wouldn't make its way to the crackers. I put a slice of paper towel at the bottom of each compartment holding fruit to catch any juice. It actually severely limited what I felt I could pack.

Anyway, we used it for a whole year (Kindy), and I really tried to work with it but for us what was easier was a boxy lunchbag (like you can get from PBK) and an assortment of leakproof plastic (yep, plastic) containers that I could choose from depending on what we packed, and a thermos for packing hot lunches. I hand wash all lunch plastics.

Otherwise, if you want something bullet-proof, heavy stainless steel, great quality and don't mind the drawbacks, it's a quality hunk of metal :)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-23-2017, 02:46 PM
my kiddos have had the Rovers for several years now, with the PBK lunchboxes. I recently upgraded my 7.5 yo DS to the Launch, plus i got him a brand new PBKlunch box.

We personally love PlanetBoxes! the downside is that they are a bit heavy, but my kids just put them in their backpacks (PBK Large size) and it's no issue.

what i really like about them is that they are stainless steel and SO EASY TO WASH. We had the pBK bento lunchboxes before which were nice but bc they're plastic, it is harder to clean. they stain. anything oily (PB, or sauce, or hummus) is a pain to wash. i never put them in the dishwasher since we don't run it every single day, so i wanted something i could easily wash by hand eveyr day.

one thing that helps is the silicone inserts that PlanetBox has..we use lots of those for holding fruit, crackers, hummus, etc. for things needing to be more leakproof (ranch sauce, or yogurt) we use the stainless steel containers. They've improved the little SS containers to use silicone lid.

Anyway, about sizes.... it doesn't look like it but Launch holds 30% more food than the Rover. My DS is tall and eats A TON for his age (probably as much as an adult) so he really needs the larger size. mY DD is only a year younger but the Rover is still totally fine for her..she eats like a bird.

eta: i don't think the PlanetBox Launch or Rover fits into traditional PBK lunchbox..they can only fit in the PBK lunchbox specifically designed for the PlanetBox. the one nice thing though is that the PBK lunchbox can fit either the Launch or Rover.

also, they have improved the lunchboxes over the past couple years. the inside now is coated with some moisture-repellent thing which makes it SO much easier to clean!

mackmama
08-23-2017, 09:11 PM
We used the biggest one with its own pack which was a bummer to carry 2 bags. Eventually stopped using it because it was heavy, and D.C. Likes snack/lunch in separate containers. Use lunchbots now which work great.

azzeps
08-24-2017, 12:52 AM
We have a small collection of Yumboxes. The PlanetBoxes are appealing, but I just can't ever seem to get around the price tag! Especially since they wouldn't fit in our existing lunch boxes! I'm tempted to add a couple of these to my Yumbox collection... if you're not opposed to plastic! and lots of lids! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TT2PAP0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

musicalgrl
08-24-2017, 08:40 AM
I appreciate the feedback. This is the first time I've heard anyone mention the weight of the Planet Box, which is definitely something to consider. I will check out the other suggestions with links now. Thank you!

smilequeen
08-24-2017, 10:23 AM
We have the Rover and the Launch. They both fit in the same bag (Planetbox bag though, I do know there is a cheaper bag that will fit, but I can't remember what it is).

My kids are boring, picky lunch kids. Sandwich, veggie chips, fruit, and a yogurt tube usually. The newer containers are leakproof but the old ones, not good enough for me. DS2 likes things like peaches and carrots with ranch sometimes that do better in these. Apple slices, banana slices, watermelon do very well just in the regular box for us.

https://www.planetbox.com/collections/dippers-1

For the Launch, sometimes they like things that need to be heated in the microwave at school, so I can send this in the Launch for them

https://www.planetbox.com/collections/dippers-1/products/satellite-dish-glass?variant=20589234369

We've been using them for years and they work for us.

carolinamama
08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
We have used Planetbox for years. My kids haven't seemed to have an issue with weight, but they are probably heavier than other options. Things that I love - it's mainly all one piece. So easy to clean after school. They hold up forever. We are still using rovers that we bought at least 4 years ago. I rarely handwash. They usually go through the dishwasher and we've never had an issue. Just take off the magnets - I've seen a kid's at school that is very rusty under his magnets and I'm assuming it's from washing without removing them. We've always used the planetbox lunchboxes. They hold up very well and I've sent them through the washer although it says to only wipe clean. I replace every few years or when someone forgets to unpack one and leaves it down - the dog will rip into it. (I must really love that dog!!)

You've gotten lots of other good advice from PPs but I wanted to chime in and say how much we've loved them for years.

hillview
08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
We have used Planetbox for years. My kids haven't seemed to have an issue with weight, but they are probably heavier than other options. Things that I love - it's mainly all one piece. So easy to clean after school. They hold up forever. We are still using rovers that we bought at least 4 years ago. I rarely handwash. They usually go through the dishwasher and we've never had an issue. Just take off the magnets - I've seen a kid's at school that is very rusty under his magnets and I'm assuming it's from washing without removing them. We've always used the planetbox lunchboxes. They hold up very well and I've sent them through the washer although it says to only wipe clean. I replace every few years or when someone forgets to unpack one and leaves it down - the dog will rip into it. (I must really love that dog!!)

You've gotten lots of other good advice from PPs but I wanted to chime in and say how much we've loved them for years.
Love my planet boxes. We have had the same ones since the kids were in preschool (currently going into 4th and 7th) so they last and last. We don't use the magnets. Love the one piece and dishwasher ease. Also they are so easy to pack. Love the compartments.

DualvansMommy
08-24-2017, 09:38 PM
I got the largest size for DS1 and it was big heavy for him in his PreK but he eats a lot! I loved the components and ease of washing it. Now as a 1st grader, he'll bring that on days we send lunch from home. I got the launch or shuttle (can't remember which size I ordered) for DS2 to take in daily for lunch at his new preschool. He's much more pickier eater and smaller size is perfect for his needs now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jam224
08-24-2017, 11:12 PM
I've been reading a lot about the various bento box-style lunch boxes and think I may finally bit the bullet on a Planet Box, mostly because it's supposed to do well in the dishwasher. I'm not sure whether to go with the Rover or Launch (Shuttle looks too small for us). Does anyone know if either of these will fit in the traditional PBK lunch box? Do you have one or the other and do you love it? TIA!
We have the Rover and LOVE it! DD1 used it every day in Kindergarten and we're using it again now that she started first grade. I wrote about how much I love it in another thread (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?499441&p=4247467#post4247467), so I'll copy and paste that here:

I love our Planetbox! Other than the weight (it is hefty for a kindergartener), we love everything about it: not a lot of waste/trash, she can open it easily, and no parts to get lost. She has a pretty good track record of finishing all of her lunch too, which is awesome. And if there is anything she doesn't finish, she brings it home and finishes it after school. It's a fantastic way to monitor how much she's eating. I've volunteered at the school a few times during lunch and it amazes me how many kids 1) have so much trash, 2) can't open all of their containers independently, and 3) how much food gets wasted. I realize we're lucky in that regard; the Planetbox rocks for us.

As far as weight goes, yes, it's hefty, but honestly, it's the only thing in her backpack other than a lightweight coat, a folder, and a planner. She doesn't seem to mind. As far as lunch bags, I didn't like the PBK one that came with it, so I ordered a turquoise one from eBags. I made a post about it here:
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?496079-Planetbox-DIY-magnets-and-lunch-bag-alternative

It's not leakproof. They may have fixed this with some of the inserts that you can get for it now (though I have a hard time seeing how they'd make it leakproof), but not being EASILY leakproof proved to be a problem. In order to avoid leaks I had to do things like use the grab press n seal, or use the little round container with the seal on the lid - but you STILL had to tightly rubber-band that together (again, the lidded containers might have been redesigned to fix this HOWEVER using them takes up a lot of real estate inside the lunch box and cuts into space for other food). So I couldn't pack stuff like yogurt, applesauce, watermelon.

It's big...it fits in the dishwasher but we had 2 and it took up a large amount of space. I preferred to hand wash it, but even then because it's hinged - when you open it up it won't fit into a sink so then you're trying to wash it like a large pot, without getting water everywhere. Maybe the Launch would be better if this is an issue. Also, since the Rover is large it takes up a lot of real estate on the lunch table when opened. My kids had to be super careful to be sure it wasn't hanging off the edge of the table where it could be bumped and send an entire lunch crashing onto the floor.
Yes, the new inserts with the silicone lids are WAY better! Definitely leakproof and much easier for little ones to open! And I don't know if I have a larger than average sink, but my Planetbox Rover fits in the bottom of my sink when opened. I can totally understand how that would be annoying if it didn't though!

teresah00
08-25-2017, 01:06 AM
We have a shuttle we use for snacks, and three rovers for lunches. Drawback is the weight. My favorite feature is its all one piece and easy to clean or toss in dishwasher. We've tried a few different boxes, and these are my favorite. Also have easylunchboxes, bentology and lunchbots. The rover fits enough for my kids to eat, even my active 11yo. I can shove an insulated container in the elastic pouch outside. Target has an embark bag that fits the rover. DS had one last year. It was about $10-12 but the mesh drink pocket tore quickly.