PDA

View Full Version : International movie suggestions for kids aged 5-9 years

american_mama
08-26-2017, 04:07 PM
My Girl Scout troop is considering hosting a movie night and discussion/demonstration with a global girl issue theme. We have good suggestions of movies for girls aged 9 and older like Wadjda, Whale Rider, He Named Me Malala, and for older girls, Girl Rising and Dayla's Other Country.

But we'd like to at least consider offering a movie just for younger girls. Do you have suggestions for movies that touch on international girl issues for kids aged 5-9? I was thinking Mulan, which might be unfamiliar to girls today, and Moana, which is lovely but probably already seen by girls. Documentaries are fine too. "International girl issues" can be defined very broadly, especially since it needs to be appropriate for a young audience. Girl empowerment, girl education, girl's rights, changing roles for girls or women in society would all be good. Another option is a movie that presents another culture and history that would interest girls. I have never seen "Brave," but basedon what I've read, that might fit.

Are there Studio Ghibli animated films that would fit? I've only seen Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro and they aren't really about girl issues at all, although they have great female characters.

Any European animated films? I feel like I heard about a French movie with a girl living in a tower whose parents were scientists and disappeared... I can't quite remember. eta: Wow, I amanged to google this in one try and think this is "April and the Extraordinary World" and it is set in an alternate steampunk world, so I don't think it fits at all.

sariana
08-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Does Canada count? Anne of Green Gables might work, even just the first episode from the old miniseries (when they wanted a boy to work the farm but got a girl).

It's tough for the young ones. It's difficult to find anything appropriate at all, much less to match a theme.

I don't know if Brave would fit very well. (ETA: Or maybe it's just that I didn't like that movie very well. I guess it does have the "girl rebelling against society" theme.) I haven't seen Mulan, but from what I've heard about it, it might be good.

123LuckyMom
08-26-2017, 05:07 PM
My DD and DS (5 and 8) were fascinated by a French documentary called "On the Way to School," which is about the harrowing journeys kids around the world must take in order to get to school. It is subtitled because the people speak in their own languages, but there's not a lot of talking, and I just read the subtitles out. It's not the animated type movie you're thinking about, but it would be excellent for all the ages of your girls, and it is really inspiring. It features both boys and girls, but one group are all girls in a country that has not traditionally educated girls. You also hear a grandmother talk about her own childhood and lack of education.

I wouldn't use Brave. It's more mythical with people changing into bears and isn't as good for your topic as something like Mulan.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lizzywednesday
08-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Mulan has been run multiple times on Disney Jr. My 7-year-old is definitely familiar with it!

Brave is partly about girls' issues (Merida, as a girl, has to learn her "function" in the world she lives in, for example, and that's a good jumping-off point for discussions about how things have changed for girls vs the world Merida inhabits) but it's more about choices, consequences, relationships, family, and learning to fix our mistakes.

What about The Queen of Katwe? I wanted to see it, but didn't make it a priority. (I hear it's coming to Netflix, but that may change based on Disney's announcement that it's getting into the streaming game.)

twowhat?
08-26-2017, 05:14 PM
I immediately thought of Whale Rider...would that work?

ang79
08-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Mulan has been run multiple times on Disney Jr. My 7-year-old is definitely familiar with it!

Brave is partly about girls' issues (Merida, as a girl, has to learn her "function" in the world she lives in, for example, and that's a good jumping-off point for discussions about how things have changed for girls vs the world Merida inhabits) but it's more about choices, consequences, relationships, family, and learning to fix our mistakes.

What about The Queen of Katwe? I wanted to see it, but didn't make it a priority. (I hear it's coming to Netflix, but that may change based on Disney's announcement that it's getting into the streaming game.)

I was thinking of the Queen of Katwe also (that's the one with the female chess play, right?) I haven't seen it but my SIL saw it and really liked it, she thought my girls should watch it (they are 8 and 10). She said the female lead couldn't read/write, so learning chess was her way to overcome her situation.

ang79
08-26-2017, 08:40 PM
I was thinking of the Queen of Katwe also (that's the one with the female chess play, right?) I haven't seen it but my SIL saw it and really liked it, she thought my girls should watch it (they are 8 and 10). She said the female lead couldn't read/write, so learning chess was her way to overcome her situation.

annex
08-26-2017, 09:03 PM
I think 5-9 might be a little young for Queen of Katwe, though it fits well with the theme, and I enjoyed watching it. I would put it more for 7 and up.

rin
08-26-2017, 09:08 PM
The Cave of the Yellow Dog? About a Mongolian nomad girl (I think she's 6 or 7) who struggles against her father's authority. https://www.amazon.com/Cave-Yellow-Dog-Batchuluun-Urjindorj/dp/B000KHX70S\ I believe it was a documentary.

Also, for the older kids, what about Rabbit-Proof Fence? I haven't seen that since it came out, but I recall it being stunning.

robinsmommy
08-26-2017, 11:31 PM
I think there may have been some older themes in Rabbit-Proof Fence. Here is some info: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/rabbit-proof-fence

What about The Eagle Huntress? Common Sense Media suggests 8 and up. Might be too old for the littlest ones, though I don't think there is much inappropriate. It's more that it might not hold a 5's attention, depending on the individual.

ETA - also look at The Secret of Roan Innish. Of the Miyazaki, Kiki's Delivery Service may be worth a go. American Girl movies can be good, but may be too commercial, in that they are linked to the dolls.

I like this list:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/best-smart-movie-girls

bisous
08-27-2017, 02:34 AM
I think My Neighbor Totoro could work for your theme. The girls' life is very different from our life here. They have more freedom, they are given a lot of responsibility, the sisters are kind and supportive of each other but they have occasional squabbles etc. I love that movie!

I don't think Whale Rider would be appropriate. The opening scene to that movie was disturbing to me (although I love that movie anyway) but it would be too much for my kids at those ages.

bisous
08-27-2017, 02:35 AM
I think there may have been some older themes in Rabbit-Proof Fence. Here is some info: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/rabbit-proof-fence

What about The Eagle Huntress? Common Sense Media suggests 8 and up. Might be too old for the littlest ones, though I don't think there is much inappropriate. It's more that it might not hold a 5's attention, depending on the individual.

ETA - also look at The Secret of Roan Innish. Of the Miyazaki, Kiki's Delivery Service may be worth a go. American Girl movies can be good, but may be too commercial, in that they are linked to the dolls.

I like this list:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/best-smart-movie-girls

Kiki's is a great movie, but the setting is quite vague and fantastical.

lizzywednesday
08-27-2017, 02:43 PM

Yes, Queen of Katwe is about a girl who learns to play chess to rise above her circumstances. My friend saw it with her 13-year-old and really liked it, and my 7-year-old wanted to see it when we saw the trailer, but it's hard to recommend without having seen it.

I would also check out WAGGGS social media - they have a great collection of stories and projects, from actual Guides in many areas, that might help complement your theme. There are a few videos, etc., that were especially insightful, informative, and moving.

american_mama
08-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Thank you all! I am glad to learn about Cave of the Yellow Dog and On the Way to School. I like the On the Way to School idea best so far - the trailer looks good and it's so relatable to children of all ages.

I use Common Sense Media heavily, but don't always catch all their lists so thanks for the link. I will also check out WAAGGS social media idea.

I googled best animated films to help answer this question and discovered "Song of the Sea," which is about the Irish selkie myth like Roan Inish, for the person who suggested that movie. I watched it with my kids this weekend. We all liked it, including the 9 year old, but it took a lot of focus until we understood all the characters and magic. The art is beautiful. Maybe a preview of the characters would help kids understand faster. This would not be an issue movie, but an Irish folklore/music movie... not quite what I am going for, but a possibility if needed.

We'll see what I can get arranged, what I can interest my troop of middle school girls or other local volunteers interested in sponsoring. I got the idea for this from a council in NC that sponsors appropriate movies quarterly followed by a relevant talk, and girls earn the Global Action Award through it. Our council has a grant to promote more internationalism but we are 2.5 hours from council, so to bring a movie series to our area will need a lot of volunteer effort.

Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback!