PDA

View Full Version : Do you return your shopping cart?

mackmama
08-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Do you return your shopping cart to where it's supposed to go after loading groceries in your car?

mom2binsd
08-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Always, I usually park right beside the cart corral so I don't have to walk far, and the spots beside the corral are usually bigger. Ours has two slots, one for large carts and one for big carts, I have never seen it where people get it right, I mean how hard is it to put in on the correct side!

sariana
08-26-2017, 07:51 PM
What else would I do with it? Leave it by my car so I hit it on my way out? ;)

"Almost Always" wasn't a choice, but I will admit that every once in a while I will leave my Costco cart with a line of others way out in the boondocks part of the parking lot if I have cold food. I rarely need to park way out there, so it isn't usually an issue. But when it's that crowded, it's also difficult to maneuver the cart back to the corral because too many cars are in the way.

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2017, 07:52 PM
I park close to a corral for that reason.
I've only once abandoned a cart and it's because the wheels locked without me realizing I'd passed the magic line. The nearest corral was ages away and I just couldn't carry the cart that far. I guess only the front wheels were locked but it was a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellies mom
08-26-2017, 08:05 PM
I always return my shopping cart. Always.

trcy
08-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Always. In high school I worked at a grocery store and gathering carts from all around the parking lot was always the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
08-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Always. I used to park right by it when I had babies / toddlers. I still do usually out of habit. Costco is usually the most difficult place in terms of cart returns or corraling but I always do it. Often people going in will offer to take it from people loading up. I do that all the time myself.

123LuckyMom
08-26-2017, 08:41 PM
I try to nab a space near the cart collecting spot, but I always put the cart away. I also try to take a cart from the corral into the grocery store rather than just getting one inside and adding to the corral.

AnnieW625
08-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Yes, unless I have been at Target and the wheels have locked. I don't mind parking far away if necessary.

DualvansMommy
08-26-2017, 08:58 PM
I make a point of parking near the corrals, or in pregnancy/with kids parking spot which is usually close to a corral too. Once, a cart left upfront of a parking slot dinged my vehicle which really pissed me off, that I make it a point of returning it every single time.

KrisM
08-26-2017, 09:28 PM
I park close to a corral for that reason.
I've only once abandoned a cart and it's because the wheels locked without me realizing I'd passed the magic line. The nearest corral was ages away and I just couldn't carry the cart that far. I guess only the front wheels were locked but it was a PITA.

What does this mean? Magic line?

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2017, 09:30 PM
What does this mean? Magic line?

Lots of the parking lots have lines painted around the perimeter. If you accidentally cross the line, the wheels lock.

KrisM
08-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Lots of the parking lots have lines painted around the perimeter. If you accidentally cross the line, the wheels lock.

Wow. I've never heard of that!

NCGrandma
08-26-2017, 09:46 PM

Neither have I! And judging from the number of carts I have seen "off site" I'm guessing this isn't common around here.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
08-26-2017, 10:01 PM
So is this magic line within the lot? So if you park at the back, you can't take the cart all the way to your car? Or why would it be something you cross? I keep thinking about this! I'm fascinated!

SnuggleBuggles
08-26-2017, 10:21 PM
So is this magic line within the lot? So if you park at the back, you can't take the cart all the way to your car? Or why would it be something you cross? I keep thinking about this! I'm fascinated!

Our Trader Joe's is in a shopping plaza and only a little portion of the lot is set for people to use carts in. Our one Target has lines between it and the next business. So, it's really when you cross onto the other "turf". You know that you're out of the right zone most of the time. Sometimes you miss the signs or the lines though.

rlu
08-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Returning the cart has been DS's job for many years now.

sweet_pea
08-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Yes, I return it.

essnce629
08-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Yes always. But when the kids were infants/toddlers and I'd strap them into to their carseats first before loading the groceries, I'd sometimes leave the cart near my car if the return area was too far away and it was super hot (it gets up to 105 degrees out here).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Pennylane
08-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Yes, always. When my children were small we parked next to the corral and now that they are bigger it's not an issue. No joke, I watched a lady at Kroger last week take 5 minutes to wedge her cart up on the grassy area so it didn't roll away. I died laughing as it would have taken her 2 to just return it ... no kids with her by the way.

Ann

mikala
08-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Yes always. But when the kids were infants/toddlers and I'd strap them into to their carseats first before loading the groceries, I'd sometimes leave the cart near my car if the return area was too far away and it was super hot (it gets up to 105 degrees out here).

Sent from my SM-J700P using TapatalkThis, but at the opposite end of temperatures. 99% of the time I return it but will admit that I parked the cart on a divider a couple times when I had to park far away from convenient return spots and had a crying little kids in a 0 degree or colder car. I felt guilty but am generally the person bringing in other people's orphaned carts.

Kindra178
08-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Always. Like 100 percent of the time. Even when I had three kids 2 and under. In Chiberia. Huge pet peeve of mine.

lalasmama
08-27-2017, 12:46 AM
I voted always, but it's about 90% of the time. Not any good reason, really, beyond comfort/convenience. We do a lot of our shopping at Walmart, where they have a cart corral every other aisle about 5 parking slots up... but we have nice cars, so we park way out. Which means we get the cart unloaded, we may have to leave 1-4 kids in the pouring rain to transverse the parking lot to take a cart back. In that case, I will occasionally leave the cart propped up on the curb near other carts. Getting 4 kids in a car on your own can be tough, and its definitely something I don't excel at most of the time!

bisous
08-27-2017, 02:29 AM
I don't always. Most of the time I do. Actually I'd say I do it 100% of the time now. Like many of you, parking near the corral is more important to me than parking near the front of the store. I always pick there if I can. DS3 is no longer prone to tantrums at grocery stores AND he goes to K for a few hours every day AND DS1 can watch him so I can run a few quick errands and he doesn't need to come along so my "reason" for occasionally not returning the cart no longer exists. DD is often with me when I shop now but she's compliant and even if I am far from the cart corral I feel safe returning the cart. When DS3 was little I honestly did not feel good either leaving him alone in the car or walking from the cart corral to my car with him unstrapped in (and with other kids to mind) and I would position the cart on the curb. I don't really feel bad about it. It was the best we could do at the time. When I'd be out alone I'd try to compensate by taking a minute to straighten out the carts elsewhere in the parking lot. Again, not really a problem any more thank goodness!

boogiemom
08-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Always. I try to park near the cart corral, even though I drive a nice car. If I have to park a bit further away, I still return my cart, and often others, regardless of weather. My children have been fine for that extra minute or two in 100+degree Oklahoma July heat as well as 5degree Michigan January cold. They were fine strapped into their seat and behind locked doors for my quick run to the nearest cart corral. Frankly, they spent more time doing same while I pumped gas. I will endure a minute or two of rain or snow to fulfill my obligation so the poor soul whose job it is to collect carts does not have to endure any more of that same rain or snow than absolutely necessary. I see way too many people leaving their carts where it may be a bit more convenient for them but more inconvenient for everyone else. :-/ Rude!

jawilli4
08-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Always if there is a corral. However, we just moved and our nearest grocery store doesn't have ANY in the parking lot beyond an area at the very front of the store. I had no idea this was even a possibility. Almost everyone doesn't put their cart away, especially if they are parked in left field. I will walk to put it away if I am within 50 feet of the return. If not, I just find a place that has the most carts and stack mine in one. If I only have a bag or two, I don't even bother taking the cart with me to the car.

elizabethkott
08-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Always. And I've trained my two ds as well!
I try to park near a corral, but if I can't, I just chalk it up to getting a few extra steps!
And yes, I'm *that* person who has said something to someone leaving their cart on the landscaping. Especially if the cart corral is LITERALLY three parking spaces away (this happens all the time in my town in a specific lot where there's a cart corral about every five spaces and people STILL leave their cart on the median between lanes or the landscaping).

ArizonaGirl
08-27-2017, 10:52 AM
I ALWAYS do even when I had Littles, even here in Phoenix where it can be 118 +. It is a huge pet peeves of mine and it really bothers me when I see someone alone shopping and they can't be bothered to walk two parking spots to put the cart away.

HannaAddict
08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Always. And in my part of the country, I'd say people do 95% of the time. Was just on the east coast, New York State (and city) and was shocked by the parking lots strewn with carts, literally carts everywhere in every place we stopped - from a mall upstate that had a Target so red carts galore, to grocery stores. It was obnoxious and I thought rude. Made me appreciate the societal manners of the Pacific NW since I didn't realize how many people just leave their carts (and not on dividers). There were plenty of cart catchers too, just rude selfish people who got their stuff and don't care what happens now they are in their car.

icunurse
08-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Always. Even when my two were little. Always. It's more work for the store and a danger to other cars. But I was also always practical in that I would try to park reasonably close to a cart return (within 10 spots). I mean, if you can't walk that far without fear of kids being exposed to heat/cold, maybe you shouldn't be out there at all. And now that my kids are older, I do try to park further back and leave closer spots for older people or parents with small children (granted, these spots are then usually taken up by teenagers). But I try.

JustMe
08-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Yes, with very few exceptions. Only exceptions are when the place to return is really far away, I am in a rush or someone is not feeling well, and I can secure the cart in some way to make sure it can't roll into something. When all 3 of those are true at one time, then sometimes I will secure the cart without returning to the right place.

Kindra178
08-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Always if there is a corral. However, we just moved and our nearest grocery store doesn't have ANY in the parking lot beyond an area at the very front of the store. I had no idea this was even a possibility. Almost everyone doesn't put their cart away, especially if they are parked in left field. I will walk to put it away if I am within 50 feet of the return. If not, I just find a place that has the most carts and stack mine in one. If I only have a bag or two, I don't even bother taking the cart with me to the car.

None of my regular stores have corrals. I always have to walk to the front of the store. Not sure why this changes the answer.

candaceb
08-27-2017, 12:33 PM
They do it at my Kroger in Ann Arbor because there are lots of car-less students who would roll them home.

BananaMama
08-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Only when convenient. I usually park near a corral, but if I didn't, I leave it in the lot.

SnuggleBuggles
08-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Only when convenient. I usually park near a corral, but if I didn't, I leave it in the lot.

Why? Is it common where you live?

lizzywednesday
08-27-2017, 02:37 PM
I've made it a point to return the carts. Even when I park further away from the door (my preferred grocery store has a lot on an incline, so I like to park at the top) I return the cart. If it's hot, I make DD walk with me. When she was an infant, I wore her, so being concerned about leaving her in the car was moot - she was on my chest or on my back, so what's an extra few steps?

The reasoning I've heard from family members and friends who don't walk their carts back to the cart-return corral is that there are kids paid to collect the carts, so returning them to the corral is taking their work away. (IMO, this is baloney. The kids get paid the same rate regardless of how far they need to walk out to collect the carts. The store paid to erect the corrals. Use the corrals. It's hard enough pushing a line of carts without someone being "too good" to return her own.)

However, after having been blocked out of several spaces over the years due to unreturned carts, I try my very best to return it because it's stupid not to. I'll return it in the rain, uphill, downhill, or even when I don't feel like it. The only exception I'll make is if DD is ill, but then we're not typically making a cart-worthy grocery trip.

At Target, we park either next to the corral or a few spaces down. There are corrals frequently enough that I can park at the outer fringes of the lot, where I prefer to park, rather than having to fight for a nearer spot.

niccig
08-27-2017, 03:01 PM
A very rarely don't return the cart. It's DS's job now to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

specialp
08-27-2017, 03:04 PM
Always. And I've trained my two ds as well!
I try to park near a corral, but if I can't, I just chalk it up to getting a few extra steps!
And yes, I'm *that* person who has said something to someone leaving their cart on the landscaping. Especially if the cart corral is LITERALLY three parking spaces away (this happens all the time in my town in a specific lot where there's a cart corral about every five spaces and people STILL leave their cart on the median between lanes or the landscaping).

Always. Even when my two were little. Always. It's more work for the store and a danger to other cars. But I was also always practical in that I would try to park reasonably close to a cart return (within 10 spots). I mean, if you can't walk that far without fear of kids being exposed to heat/cold, maybe you shouldn't be out there at all. And now that my kids are older, I do try to park further back and leave closer spots for older people or parents with small children (granted, these spots are then usually taken up by teenagers). But I try.

^^ Same. I always have except for one time. It was at night and I was frightened by a man who was in the parking lot and acting strange and speaking incoherently. I have never understood the it’s too hot or cold, or kids are too little. It takes such a short amount of time to return a cart.

BananaMama
08-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Why? Is it common where you live?

Because I don't want to bother and many other people leave them out. My last car was scraped by a cart, but my current car I've had for ten years and never had a cart issue.

carolinacool
08-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Yes. Always. I'll actually just walk it back to the store if that's closer than a corral, which occasionally it is. Even at Costco. There really isn't a good reason not to unless you have some sort of disability or someone is dying and you need to get to them.

Also, I worked at a grocery store eons ago. You're not keeping buggy collectors in their job by leaving your carts willy-nilly across the parking lot. That's just people trying to justify laziness.

HannaAddict
08-27-2017, 05:20 PM
I do corral or not. Our regular store is a place you need to walk to the front and wouldn't occur to me to ditch my cart and leave.

NCGrandma
08-27-2017, 05:58 PM
This afternoon I had to park farther than usual from Whole Foods, not near the entrance or a corral. Because my knee was really bothering me and I didn't want to face hobbling all the way to the corral (there aren't a lot of corrals), I split the difference and took it partway back. But I felt guilty the whole time [emoji6]

Mommy_Mea
08-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Always. Hot, cold, rain, snow, wind, babies, toddlers and/or kids. Doesn't matter. I have seen carts come rolling off the incline they were shoved on, and way too many carts sailing across the parking lot in the wind.

bw52
08-27-2017, 07:34 PM
I try to park near the carts, but sometimes that isn't an option. If I'm close to the cart return then yes. But if I have 4 little kids and am in a not safe area--walmart after dark for example, then I get my kids in the car asap and park the cart somewhere close by where it wont roll. I don't like leaving it there but my kids safety is my priority.

boogiemom
08-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Because I don't want to bother and many other people leave them out. My last car was scraped by a cart, but my current car I've had for ten years and never had a cart issue.

I hope this is the response of a troll and not actually a legit response by a reasonable human being because your response basically says:

-Because you prefer to inconvenience others rather than be inconvenienced yourself. Plus, everyone else is inconsiderate so you may as well be inconsiderate. Your errant cart may damage someone's cart but you have had a 50% success rate with your own cars so frankly you don't care.-

I choose to live in such a way that I look for ways to make others' days better. To know others proudly have such blatant disregard for others is baffling to me. What is the point? It saves you a few steps and less than 2 minutes time? Unbelievable.

bisous
08-27-2017, 08:45 PM
I hope this is the response of a troll and not actually a legit response by a reasonable human being because your response basically says:

-Because you prefer to inconvenience others rather than be inconvenienced yourself. Plus, everyone else is inconsiderate so you may as well be inconsiderate. Your errant cart may damage someone's cart but you have had a 50% success rate with your own cars so frankly you don't care.-

I choose to live in such a way that I look for ways to make others' days better. To know others proudly have such blatant disrespect for others is baffling to me. What is the point? It saves you a few steps and less than 2 minutes time? Unbelievable.

I don't know BananaMama but I confess I'm a little baffled by the self-righteousness people are exhibiting in this thread about carts. I have admitted that I usually put them away so obviously I think it is more considerate but does it really cause egregious harm to tuck them away rather than put them in the corrals? Are the corrals so bulletproof and landscaping so unreliable? Has nobody else had a cart threaten to run away while you were actually unloading groceries? That's a real problem I've had, not my car getting hit by a cart stowed in landscaping. I guess I'd rather save my ire for just about anything else.

mackmama
08-27-2017, 09:09 PM
OP there - It's interesting that it sounds like most people's shopping areas have corrals. We don't have corrals here, so most places you park are quite a ways from the entrance to the store and the carts. Still, I try to return carts about 90% of the time. I'd say most people around here do it around 30% of the time so there are a LOT of errant carts everywhere pushed off into the bushes.

Kindra178
08-27-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't know BananaMama but I confess I'm a little baffled by the self-righteousness people are exhibiting in this thread about carts. I have admitted that I usually put them away so obviously I think it is more considerate but does it really cause egregious harm to tuck them away rather than put them in the corrals? Are the corrals so bulletproof and landscaping so unreliable? Has nobody else had a cart threaten to run away while you were actually unloading groceries? That's a real problem I've had, not my car getting hit by a cart stowed in landscaping. I guess I'd rather save my ire for just about anything else.

I'll bite. I have seen carts roll due to wind (regular wind not a windstorm storm) and cause injury. In NJ I saw a cart roll into a busy street in the dark - we almost hit it. Often carts ruin available parking spots. Parking lots look junky with carts all around. Is that a place you want to shop? I try to make the world a better place. It's just a bizarre sense of entitlement and selfishness.

ellies mom
08-27-2017, 10:28 PM

I'll bite also. Employees that make minimum wage and just above are some of the hardest working people I know and are usually treated with the least respect. It is such a simple thing. Why make their job harder than it has to be? It is simply common courtesy, treating people how you would like to be treated.

TwinFoxes
08-27-2017, 10:29 PM

For me, it was the "I don't want to bother" part that is surprising. I mean, I don't want to bother to do a lot of things, but I do because it makes the world a more pleasant place. I don't want to bother to hang up clothes properly when I take them off the rack at a department store, I don't want to bother to bus my table at my neighborhood cafe, I don't want to bother holding the elevator door for someone, but I do.

smilequeen
08-27-2017, 10:42 PM
I can't remember ever not returning one. It wouldn't occur to me not to.

rin
08-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Yes, always. It really annoys me when people can't be bothered and carts end up rolling around in the parking lot, running into cars, etc. I really like the system many other countries use of requiring a coin (usually a pretty small coin, a dollar or under) to unlock the cart from the stack, then you get your coin back when you return it. Not sure why more stores in the US don't do that.

DualvansMommy
08-28-2017, 01:00 AM
Yes, always. It really annoys me when people can't be bothered and carts end up rolling around in the parking lot, running into cars, etc. I really like the system many other countries use of requiring a coin (usually a pretty small coin, a dollar or under) to unlock the cart from the stack, then you get your coin back when you return it. Not sure why more stores in the US don't do that.

Aldi grocery store is opening up this fall nearby me, and as a European based store they're going to adopt the coin practice here. I really think it's a good system too! Just like stores charging you for a plastic bag, ensuring you bring in reusable grocery bags each time you shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HannaAddict
08-28-2017, 01:52 AM
Are people here truly disabled? I don't see shopping and not being able to return your cart 99% of the time. I've done it with three kids, a catheter when pregnant with one child, and just not feeling well or parking too far is such a lame reason. Nice car - parking far out, also a lame excuse. I have had a new Mercedes and more and don't consider where the cart corral is, but burn 3 calories and walk 50 steps and rerun the cart. The biggest parking lots are really not insurmountable. Just funny that this topic comes up when I mentioned to my husband how awful the areas seemed to be as places to live, with the lack of simple civility of returning ones shopping cart. Obviously, if there is a personal safety issue, run for your life and don't do it. But if you don't return them because it isn't convenient for you, please rethink your attitude. It's akin to broken window syndrome to me and shows a lack of concern in general and just plain rude to others.

kara97210
08-28-2017, 02:21 AM
I can't remember ever not returning one. It wouldn't occur to me not to.

:yeahthat: Most of the grocery stores here are pretty good in terms of access to corrals, so it's not a huge problem, but there is one store that always just has carts strewn around. It makes parking more difficult (so frustrating to start to pull into a space and a cart is in the way) and I know cars have been damaged by carts that roll across the lot (this happened to my friend). I'm also kind of OCD and it just looks so messy.

We were in France this summer visiting family and (at least where we were staying) it cost a one Euro coin for a cart, and then you got the Euro back when you returned the cart (similar to the system in US airports for luggage carts) and there were no carts just stashed around parking lots. My kids thought it was really cool. I think it would be interesting if a similar system was set up in the US, maybe a quarter deposit that's returned you get the quarter back, wonder if it would change any parking/cart behavior.

ETA: Saw other people mentioned the European system above. Seems like a good system, with less carts left around the lot and less carts walking off.

specialp
08-28-2017, 07:42 AM

It’s a lazy “Not my job” kind of an attitude to me. Lazy doesn’t bother everyone and while it doesn’t cause egregious harm, that’s not the standard by which I live. Does it cause egregious harm in most situation to take less than 2 minutes to return your cart?

Stuff happens and has to me, but it seems there is absolutely no amount of corrals you can put in a parking lot to combat all the “good” reasons people have for not utilizing them. I have never understood why a quarter is the only thing that motivates people, but it does work and I wish there were more of them

Landscaping is $$$ and costs money to maintain, but more importantly isn’t intended or designed for carts, or to park your cars, collect your trash, etc. The corrals are designed and intended to collect and store carts and yes, are more likely to keep carts from rolling. More importantly, it is safer for the employees to collect in one place. It’s not an easy or well paying job and one that has to be done regardless of weather. As difficult as it may be to return a single cart, imagine having to do a dozen! Your cart threatens to run away while unloading? I imagine the same thing happens to employees who have to leave their bundle of carts to retrieve the ones in the landscaping.

SnuggleBuggles
08-28-2017, 07:42 AM
Our Aldi does the coin for cart thing. Costs a quarter.

mm123
08-28-2017, 08:14 AM
In our large Canadian city, I'd say about half of the grocery stores have the quarter for cart system (sometimes it's a dollar). It's amazing how well that 25 cents motivates people- I don't think I've ever seen a cart left outside the corral at those stores! It's mostly at the lower-cost, 'no frills' type stores- I guess it means they don't have to hire a person to spend the day collecting the carts.

bisous
08-28-2017, 08:53 AM
For me, it was the "I don't want to bother" part that is surprising. I mean, I don't want to bother to do a lot of things, but I do because it makes the world a more pleasant place. I don't want to bother to hang up clothes properly when I take them off the rack at a department store, I don't want to bother to bus my table at my neighborhood cafe, I don't want to bother holding the elevator door for someone, but I do.

Fair enough. I don't agree examples whereby only 100% compliance in snow, uphill both ways, and while suffering from pleurisy is the only correct way to handle the cart dilemma. I personally think many of the excuses that PPs have mentioned have been adequate. Not wanting a child to sit in a car in 100 degree temperatures, feelings unsafe in the parking lot (that's mine), or especially the PP that was in pain and feels guilty for not walking all the way to the corral seem a sight different than just not wanting to bother. I personally hope that we live in a world where there would be some tolerance for these situations and we could all do a little bit more when we're NOT in pain so we can live in a nice place but that's just me. I don't think a diagnosed disability is required to allow some compassion for people who fail to return carts, nor do I think that someone looking on the outside can know and judge (which admittedly is a far cry from someone admitting that they can't be bothered). I think it is also significant that unlike the other examples you mentioned here--eating at a cafe and shopping at a department store, shopping at the grocery store is often something that absolutely cannot be avoided. I tried with DS3, to avoid doing it with him as much as possible but grocery shopping is one of those things all of us have to do, regardless our situation, our income, our health. Also, I promise he did more things to annoy the self-righteous on our shopping trip than me sometimes failing to return the cart when I'm parked super far away and he's in the middle of a tantrum. I think my experience with having a child with unseemly behavior has made me a little more immune to feeling the disdain of strangers in public (or in a public forum).

JBaxter
08-28-2017, 09:05 AM
OK I do return to grocery stores, Walmart target etc. Sometimes I do put the Costco cart in the median grass strip because there is like 2 cart drops in the whole darn parking lot and you have a person waiting for your spot. If I'm within site of the cart drop I do but if not it gets set on the median grass strip ( with all the others) drives me crazy they don't have more cart drops there.

TwinFoxes
08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Fair enough. I don't agree examples whereby only 100% compliance in snow, uphill both ways, and while suffering from pleurisy is the only correct way to handle the cart dilemma. I personally think many of the excuses that PPs have mentioned have been adequate. Not wanting a child to sit in a car in 100 degree temperatures, feelings unsafe in the parking lot (that's mine), or especially the PP that was in pain and feels guilty for not walking all the way to the corral seem a sight different than just not wanting to bother. I personally hope that we live in a world where there would be some tolerance for these situations and we could all do a little bit more when we're NOT in pain so we can live in a nice place but that's just me. I don't think a diagnosed disability is required to allow some compassion for people who fail to return carts, nor do I think that someone looking on the outside can know and judge (which admittedly is a far cry from someone admitting that they can't be bothered). I think it is also significant that unlike the other examples you mentioned here--eating at a cafe and shopping at a department store, shopping at the grocery store is often something that absolutely cannot be avoided. I tried with DS3, to avoid doing it with him as much as possible but grocery shopping is one of those things all of us have to do, regardless our situation, our income, our health. Also, I promise he did more things to annoy the self-righteous on our shopping trip than me sometimes failing to return the cart when I'm parked super far away and he's in the middle of a tantrum. I think my experience with having a child with unseemly behavior has made me a little more immune to feeling the disdain of strangers in public (or in a public forum).

But I wasn't talking about anyone who used one of those excuses. I was referring specifically to someone who said they "don't want to bother." I don't know why you think I'm judging other people, didn't comment on any other post, just the "I can't be bothered" one. I didn't brag about my amazing cart returning streak, through rain, snow, and the dark of night. But I really would feel guilty if I didn't return carts just because I couldn't be bothered.

bisous
08-28-2017, 04:21 PM
But I wasn't talking about anyone who used one of those excuses. I was referring specifically to someone who said they "don't want to bother." I don't know why you think I'm judging other people, didn't comment on any other post, just the "I can't be bothered" one. I didn't brag about my amazing cart returning streak, through rain, snow, and the dark of night. But I really would feel guilty if I didn't return carts just because I couldn't be bothered.

I wasn't targeting you and I'm sorry if you thought that! I was kind of commenting about other posters in this thread where I got that vibe. I honestly won't begrudge anyone that has that kind of desire to be so conscientious! I just personally think we ought to give others a little grace and if they aren't as Herculanean as you (not YOU but a general "you") and I would hope that would be met with understanding. I think I chose to respond to you (Twinfoxes) out of all the commenters because I felt like your argument against the comment I was referring to actually had the most merit.

carolinacool
08-28-2017, 04:34 PM
I have an amazing cart returning streak. :ROTFLMAO:

But seriously, stuff in parking lots can really get on my nerves. It's the carts and people parking so badly on the line that no one can get into the other space. That probably grates my goat more than the carts. During busy shopping times, I often find myself saying silent prayers to stay calm. lol

essnce629
08-28-2017, 07:19 PM
The Target I go to has a parking garage that you park in. On the entire floor of each level there's one cart corral. Where I always park there's an elevator between the rows so you'd need to walk around the elevator and through several rows of cars, out of sight of your car, to get to the corral. I'm in LA so lots of times there's a car waiting for your spot before you even load stuff in your car. In this parking garage most people leave their carts next to the elevator. There are posts around the elevator and most people lean their carts against it. There's no wind in the parking garage so they're not going to roll away. It would be nice if they had more corrals. At my Trader Joe's the corral is sometimes so full that the carts are coming out of the corral and sticking several feet into the parking lot. Adding your cart then is actually not safe as I've seen carts actually roll away because they couldn't fit in the corral.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

doberbrat
08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
iir, this is one of those 'hot button' topics on the BBB. I've never really understood why. I'm pretty good about returning my carts- esp now that my kids are past toddler age. I live in an area where parking at most places is tight - people are often waiting for my space so I'm not going to go across a long pkg lot to return a cart if there is a safe place I can leave it when people are waiting for a spot.

I will also say that a few years ago, I left dd2 in the car to return a cart and a 98yo man who had no business driving managed to hit my car trying to get into a space 2 spaces over! Certainly made me a bit more leary about leaving kids in the car to return carts. And forget about taking them with me - I saw a woman in the same lot getting hit carrying her baby as she was walking into the store!

newnana
08-28-2017, 11:14 PM
I will also say that a few years ago, I left dd2 in the car to return a cart and a 98yo man who had no business driving managed to hit my car trying to get into a space 2 spaces over! Certainly made me a bit more leary about leaving kids in the car to return carts. And forget about taking them with me - I saw a woman in the same lot getting hit carrying her baby as she was walking into the store!

whuck?! (thank you BBB for teaching me that term) both of those things would have me increasing my tendency to shop online and loathing of going to the store. Holy moly

abh5e8
08-29-2017, 09:32 AM
No, I don't always return my cart to a corral, but I will always grab a cart in the lot on my way into the store. I don't like to leave my kids in the car while I return carts. I also try my best to park by a corral and then it's no problem.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Kindra178
08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
I wonder if this is split along political lines.

NCGrandma
08-29-2017, 10:21 AM
I wonder if this is split along political lines.

Or, since a PP mentioned that this is a perennial BBB hot button issue, maybe it splits along "yoga pants -- yes or no" lines?!

doberbrat
08-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Or, since a PP mentioned that this is a perennial BBB hot button issue, maybe it splits along "yoga pants -- yes or no" lines?!

:hysterical: I dare you to start a poll......... I am/(or not) a militant cart returner. I'm a dem/republican who does/does not wear yoga pants!!!

For the record, I love all my fellow BBBers. Regardless of how they vote and whether they return carts or yoga pants in public. .... I draw the line at wearing PJs in public. :22:

ETA: For the record, I didnt vote b/c I usually return carts. I refuse to lie and say "Always" but its more than occasionally/rarely.

legaleagle
08-29-2017, 12:05 PM
This reminds me of the time when I was 8 months pregnant with DS2 (DS1 was 20 months, 30 some lbs and a runner) and it was about 90 degrees outside. I was at Costco, fairly close to the front (so not near a corral) and I nicely asked a couple passing by if they would take the cart back. Given the look they gave me, you would think I asked them to run across the entire parking lot with it though they did begrudgingly take it eventually. Now I always park by a corral if possible.

almostmom
08-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Where I live, I'd say it is about 70% leave the carts, 30% put them away? Something like that? I know there is a lot of people saying they absolutely do it all the time, and can't imagine anything else. But growing up, after you emptied your cart, you put it at the end of the parking spot. That's what you did! And I am really not a terrible person, nor is my mom who I learned this practice from! I walk mine to the front of the store if I'm parked close, but it honestly never occurred to me to adamantly do it every time. There are always employees walking around the lot, and often they collect it from me after I unload. But if not, I regularly leave it at the end of the spot, not blocking anyone else... I'll be more aware of it now, for sure, and see how many others are doing it!

I do always return my cart at Costco, as those things are massive, and it would absolutely take up a space. But I'm talking about at my local supermarket. I guess I also return it at Target, as there are lots of corrals.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2017, 02:37 PM
Where I live, I'd say it is about 70% leave the carts, 30% put them away? Something like that? I know there is a lot of people saying they absolutely do it all the time, and can't imagine anything else. But growing up, after you emptied your cart, you put it at the end of the parking spot. That's what you did! And I am really not a terrible person, nor is my mom who I learned this practice from! I walk mine to the front of the store if I'm parked close, but it honestly never occurred to me to adamantly do it every time. There are always employees walking around the lot, and often they collect it from me after I unload. But if not, I regularly leave it at the end of the spot, not blocking anyone else... I'll be more aware of it now, for sure, and see how many others are doing it!

I do always return my cart at Costco, as those things are massive, and it would absolutely take up a space. But I'm talking about at my local supermarket. I guess I also return it at Target, as there are lots of corrals.

My parents never did that.
All it takes is one gust of wind to cause damage to cars or people if they're left in spaces. No fun.

MMMommy
09-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I thought of this thread today when I went to Trader Joe's. As I was bringing my cart back to the cart corral, I couldn't help but notice stray carts propped against trees and plants just steps away from the cart corral. How hard is it to push the cart just a few more steps to the cart corral? They were so deliberately propped against these these trees and plants so very, very close to the cart corral. Annoying!

lizzywednesday
09-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Aldi grocery store is opening up this fall nearby me, and as a European based store they're going to adopt the coin practice here. I really think it's a good system too! Just like stores charging you for a plastic bag, ensuring you bring in reusable grocery bags each time you shop. ...

We have an Aldi (it replaced a SuperFresh) and they do both - it's a quarter to use the carts, and they charge for bags. I have a slew of canvas & recycled plastic ones, but I don't mind the occasional purchased Aldi bag because they're a nice, heavy plastic, like department store bags, and can be reused a few times before they die. (DH uses them on Uber runs when he knows he's picking up at bars, as they make great liner bags - no holes & heavy plastic)

ETA: I've also seen quarter-carts at ShopRite up in North Jersey (maybe out near Denville?) but it was over 20 years ago.