PDA

View Full Version : Play date- help!

PunkyBoo
08-29-2017, 05:34 PM
UPDATE In pay #6
Sorry this is long...
I got a text from the mother of a boy I'll call D last night, inviting my DS2 to play on Friday. D was in DS2's class last year but they're in different classes this year.
Last spring DS2 asked me to text D's mom to ask for a play date so I did- there is a park right next door to the school so I had them play at the park while I kept an eye on them. D's mom was at work and had told me that when it was time to go home, D would walk home. They live right by the school and park, and it sounded like he had an older brother at home waiting for him. D is a nice boy, they played together fine.
So D's mom said she's off work this Friday and D would like DS2 to come over and play at their house. I've never met D's parents. I've only texted with the mom to schedule the play dates, so I only know her first name. I don't even know their last name (but DS2 could probably tell me). I don't know their house. In full disclosure, DS2 has never been invited to anyone's house for a play date before. Ever. And he's 8.5 years old. The only play dates he's ever had were the 2-3 times I invited classmates to play at the park. We are just beginning the process to have him assessed and his social skills are lacking. He is loud and bossy, and melts down if things don't go the way he thinks they should.
So I'm worried about his behavior when I'm not there. I told D's mom that I'm off this Friday too, that if they get rowdy maybe they could all go to the park, and I'll have to go pick up DS1 from his school but then I can meet them there. But I'm worried about him having a meltdown. I'm also worried because I don't know these people. I don't know if I'm being a crazy helicopter mom. I don't know if I need advice or just calming down. DS2 assures me he'll be fine but this is pretty much uncharted social territory. He's not very capable of speaking out when things are wrong, if he even knows. D's mom seems nice, asked abt food allergies so she can give them a snack, and asked if DS2 is ok around dogs (he is). But I can only prepare him so much when I don't know the family or the house... Help!

doberbrat
08-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Eh, sounds like mom is on the ball. I would call her and just say, he can have meltdowns on occasion and please call/text me if he isnt behaving properly and I'll come get him and let him go.

Maybe try to schedule a shorter play date of an hour or 2 rather than a lengthy one for the first time.

Its really hard to let them go but in the blink of an eye they'll be off to middle school on their own completely.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Keep it short. Just plan for it to be like an hour, maybe an hour and a half max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
08-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Keep it short. Just plan for it to be like an hour, maybe an hour and a half max.

This is great advice. Just so you know, I've BTDT. It's nerve wracking. my advice is also to pay heed to the worrying voice in your head but don't let it run your life. Try to pinpoint what is worrying you and try to see if you can tweak it so that you feel more comfortable. It's okay or even good to be a little outside your comfort zone but if you just know something sounds like it would be too much for your kid, don't be afraid to make changes. Changing the length in this case would make a huge difference but it is still a great experience for your DS.

hillview
08-30-2017, 02:47 PM
I think do it for sure. It is so good for him!

PunkyBoo
09-06-2017, 04:55 PM
UPDATE-
When I texted D's mom telling her to let me know if he got too crazy, she replied that she has 3 boys so she thinks he'll be fine! They took DS2 home with them Friday and it went fine. I picked him up after about 1.5 hr. The mom was very nice and commented that they'd love to get together again. Thanks for your advice and support!

babyonway
09-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Great update! I am so glad is went well!

jgenie
09-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Yeah - glad to hear it went well!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
That's perfect!

123LuckyMom
09-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Hooray!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

lalasmama
09-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Glad to hear it went well!

HannaAddict
09-08-2017, 03:59 AM
That is great and I'm so happy for him!