PDA

View Full Version : What to do you to manage all of your passwords?

jerseygirl07067
08-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Do you just write them all down or use a master list? I'm going crazy with how many there are to keep up with, and so many sights have slightly different requirements so you can't even use the same one in many cases, just to keep things simple. I know you're not supposed to do that, but let's get real. I think I have at least 40 sites, accounts, things to keep track of.

I have seen online apps but am paranoid about the info getting compromised.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-29-2017, 07:17 PM
i use msecure app on my iPhone. love it! i like how i can easily copy passwords directly from it.

abh5e8
08-29-2017, 07:20 PM
We have a paper list. It started as a word document, but we deleted it after printing. We keep it by our computer at home and hand write in changes. I don't know how to do it otherwise.. like you, we have so many passwords!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Indianamom2
08-29-2017, 08:28 PM
I finally just had to write them all down in a little notebook. I work at home via secure link to a couple of other computer systems and each has different multiple logins. I just couldn't keep it all straight anymore.

jerigirl
08-29-2017, 08:32 PM
We used to use Splash ID but DH is now transitioning us to LastPass.

melrose7
08-29-2017, 08:44 PM
I also write them down. I use the last page of my calendar I use for work. I tried keeping them on my phone but I didn't feel safe that way. I just changed all mine and I hate that I don't know any of them by heart anymore.

Pennylane
08-29-2017, 08:48 PM
I have a password book, like an address book but for the web . Love it !

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

NCGrandma
08-29-2017, 09:09 PM
After spending my career in academic medicine, it is still ingrained in me that passwords should not be written down [emoji6] Instead, I put all my passwords plus other info (URL, those pesky security questions that are always slightly different, etc) into an Excel spreadsheet that is password protected so I just need to remember one password. I keep copies of this spreadsheet on my Windows PC and my iPads. The master copy is on my PC, and I copy the updated version to my iPads whenever I need to make changes.

In the olden days, I used SplashID on my Palm Pilots. Worked great on the Palm but pretty clunky on the PC.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
08-29-2017, 09:29 PM
I have a system to remembering them. I have a five digit code (random numbers, not a birthday or anything) that I attach to a part of the site name. Also, for some sites, like say the grocery app on my phone, I use a simple password. I do not care if my grocery list gets hacked. Have at it, hackers.

belovedgandp
08-29-2017, 10:30 PM
We use the lastpass app. Took me a while to get on board, but DH converted me.

DualvansMommy
08-30-2017, 12:46 AM
After spending my career in academic medicine, it is still ingrained in me that passwords should not be written down [emoji6] Instead, I put all my passwords plus other info (URL, those pesky security questions that are always slightly different, etc) into an Excel spreadsheet that is password protected so I just need to remember one password. I keep copies of this spreadsheet on my Windows PC and my iPads. The master copy is on my PC, and I copy the updated version to my iPads whenever I need to make changes.

In the olden days, I used SplashID on my Palm Pilots. Worked great on the Palm but pretty clunky on the PC.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

That's my system too. I never write it all down, way too many sites and places to keep track of with all different passwords. Plus there's the updating passwords every so often like once a year, would hate to find that notebook, drag it out and cross out old one to input new one!

No, I keep it all on one spreadsheet to my Evernote. Best thing ever! This way I only need to remember ONE password to access that master list of passwords. I do print it out and keep it secured in one of locked file cabinets in the event Evernote is wiped out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jacksmomtobe
08-30-2017, 05:17 AM
I use a word doc with hints to my passwords that would only make sense to me. I have one unusual pw that only has meaning to me which contains numbers caps and symbols which have been varied for different scenarios so my clue might be usual pw old numbers and one symbol. I also have 3 other base passwords for example for some of my kids related thing I use a class name that one of the kids took when they were very little along with a numbers that relate to a date. I use this with a symbol in certain scenarios.

AnnieW625
08-30-2017, 05:55 AM
I don't write mine down either. My system for setting up passwords is very similar to TwinFoxes. I love the finger print authentication password on my iPhone and use that a lot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm
08-30-2017, 09:39 AM
I used to use a password protected doc on Evernote, but they've been changing in different ways wanting you to subscribe. I accidentally did something to a different page, wiping it out. There was no Back or Undo unless I subscribed, where they kept versions you could revert to.

So, I moved all of my Evernote into Google Drive. I basically have a folder with various items - scans of important docs, photos of serial numbers, pdfs of manuals, etc. Then a big Sheets (Excel-ish) file with many pages for the different stuff I had in Evernote. For passwords I don't write out the whole thing, but enough that I'll know based on my little system. I can get to it from anywhere, I like it.

I did read this last week and it made me stomp my feet for all those sites that make you use a capital and 3 of a certain set of symbols and bark at the moon standing on one foot while typing it, etc.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/7/16107966/password-tips-bill-burr-regrets-advice-nits-cybersecurity

Rocketfish
08-30-2017, 09:56 AM
i use the lastpass for this

citymama
08-30-2017, 12:48 PM
1password

almostmom
08-30-2017, 02:02 PM
I email them to myself, usually just the first and last letter (because I know what's in the middle if I have the first and last). I have a folder in my email where I store them. And it's not called passwords.

This might be a bad idea. But is works for me. And then I can access it anywhere.

hillview
08-30-2017, 02:51 PM
I use dashlane and LOVE it.

jerseygirl07067
08-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Great info! I am still paranoid about using an app but may give these a look. At the very least, until I do, I need to reorganize and rewrite my paper list. I like the idea of using a small address book for that.

melwe
08-30-2017, 04:44 PM
I'm also a dashlane user. When I was looking for a password manager, I was looking for something that I can use on my desktop pc, my ipad and android phone. It has worked seamlessly across all of those platforms and is very user friendly.

Globetrotter
08-30-2017, 05:47 PM
I write them in my Wunderlist app (to do app) in code, and with clues to jog my memory.

pastrygirl
08-31-2017, 08:13 AM
I use 1Password. I signed up for the family plan a few months ago, so my kids can start using it, and I can set up passwords for them and save it to their shared vault. My husband and I also share a vault for household-type accounts, and we each have our personal vault for accounts we don't need to share.

Mikey0709
08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Wow - am I the only one shocked at the cost of some of the password apps??? They all sounded great - till I saw they were monthly subscriptions.

gatorsmom
08-31-2017, 02:28 PM
I have a system of remembering them too. Also, there is very little that I password protect. Like Twinfoxes, if hackers want my grocery list they can have it. I don't password protect that kind of stuff.

magnoliaparadise
09-04-2017, 04:22 AM
Following this. I have long thought I should use one of the password protection apps.
Like others, I'm skeptical that they will withstand hackers. Yes, they are more secure than writing something down or putting it on a spread sheet for my own use, but on the other hand, there are more hackers out there trying to break into a password security app than my laptop or home. But... in googling this, there are remarkably few naysayers on password protection apps and the fear of breaches. Here is some info that I found:

Here is an article discussing password security:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/safe-use-password-manager/
Here is another discussing password protection sites generally:
https://www.consumerreports.org/digital-security/everything-you-need-to-know-about-password-managers/

jerseygirl07067
09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Following this. I have long thought I should use one of the password protection apps.
Like others, I'm skeptical that they will withstand hackers. Yes, they are more secure than writing something down or putting it on a spread sheet for my own use, but on the other hand, there are more hackers out there trying to break into a password security app than my laptop or home. But... in googling this, there are remarkably few naysayers on password protection apps and the fear of breaches. Here is some info that I found:

Here is an article discussing password security:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/safe-use-password-manager/
Here is another discussing password protection sites generally:
https://www.consumerreports.org/digital-security/everything-you-need-to-know-about-password-managers/

Those are interesting articles. After reading the first one it seemed contradictory, initially stating stating that there have been some potential breaches, and then in the second half of the article stating they are still safe. I'm still a bit leary about doing it, despite the fact that many people trust them and use them. Call me a bit paranoid, but hackers seem to be getting more and more sophisticated. Thanks for sharing those, they were very helpful and educational.