PDA

View Full Version : Contact AP about my money?

bisous
08-30-2017, 10:09 AM
I'm a contractor and am currently awaiting a HUGE amount of money from one of my jobs. I was told that I'd be paid "in August" for my work. I have two days left in August and no sign of a direct deposit coming through any time soon. This money is very needed right now! I'm concerned that if I wait until Friday (of a long weekend) that I'll get no response from AP. Do I bug them now and just verify that the money will be coming through? I guess I'm thinking that if they catch an error now I might have money by the weekend. DH, who works at the same company that I contract through, thinks I should NOT ask about it now. The account I'm working on has new people and they're not fans of my project. WWYD? Bug them and ensure payment or don't and therefore don't risk the ire of the department that employs you?

TwinFoxes
08-30-2017, 10:57 AM
I would take your DH's word, since he works at the company and presumably knows the culture, over the words of well-meaning internet people.

bisous
08-30-2017, 11:12 AM
I would take your DH's word, since he works at the company and presumably knows the culture, over the words of well-meaning internet people.

Hah! True. Plus he's really business savvy. I just want my money, lol.

HannaAddict
08-30-2017, 10:41 PM
Bugging someone for money before it's officially due would be highly annoying to many departments or companies. And it isn't their problem you have a cash flow issue. Many companies pay close to the date but not always right on it. But reminding them before it is due is not a good practice. Need to try and work it a budget that doesn't depend on getting money exactly on a date when you are a contractor. Hope it comes through for you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
08-30-2017, 10:48 PM
Bugging someone for money before it's officially due would be highly annoying to many departments or companies. And it isn't their problem you have a cash flow issue. Many companies pay close to the date but not always right on it. But reminding them before it is due is not a good practice. Need to try and work it a budget that doesn't depend on getting money exactly on a date when you are a contractor. Hope it comes through for you though.

Thank you for the budget lecture. Yep, things are super tight here right now. To the point that we cannot buy one single thing until next Thursday if the money doesn't come in. So it is really a big huge deal that this money might not come in. I should be living more within my means but haven't quite managed it the past few months.

KpbS
08-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Well, I would write a short email to the appropriate person just as a reminder (with no implication that they may not pay you) or perhaps resend an itemized invoice to your contact, including your address/acct number, etc. for them to send your payment.

ahisma
08-30-2017, 11:03 PM
My general rule of thumb is to not ask until it's 15 days late. The only time I've asked earlier is when I've been heading out of town and didn't want it sitting in my mailbox, and that's only to ask them to hold the check instead of mailing it.

I get it though, one of my clients' former CFO would sit on things forever. It was very, very stressful.

PZMommy
08-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Tomorrow is the last day in August, so I'd have no problem sending them an invoice for what they are supposed to pay you. I feel you on the money situation. Payday isn't until Tuesday and we are stuck until then.

ahisma
08-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Thank you for the budget lecture. Yep, things are super tight here right now. To the point that we cannot buy one single thing until next Thursday if the money doesn't come in. So it is really a big huge deal that this money might not come in. I should be living more within my means but haven't quite managed it the past few months.

As much as it stings, it's true. It's been my reality for years. It's one of the super crappy aspects of being a contractor. As much as it hurts to read PP's comment, that is absolutely how the client will perceive it. (I kind of sit on both sides. I'm technically a contractor, but my role is such that I hear about their issues with other contractors).

bisous
08-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Well, I would write a short email to the appropriate person just as a reminder (with no implication that they may not pay you) or perhaps resend an itemized invoice to your contact, including your address/acct number, etc. for them to send your payment.

Thank you for your practical suggestion. DH and I feel like we can't say anything until August has officially expired. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised tomorrow? I think I'll just ask what the usual schedule might be, for reference and planning purposes? DH warns me to be more political. I kind of feel like the A/P person has no say whether my contract is renewed and I never work onsite so I guess part of me doesn't care that they think I ask too many questions and am therefore considered annoying? DH's point is that is never bad to conduct yourself well in business matters and I'm sure he's right about that. I'm not trying to be annoying, just want clarity! I was told over a month ago that I'd be paid in August and I've lived accordingly. As HannaAddict pointed out I ought to have budgeted better than that but I'm just doing the best I can right now. I think it is time to break out the CC.

bisous
08-30-2017, 11:10 PM
As much as it stings, it's true. It's been my reality for years. It's one of the super crappy aspects of being a contractor. As much as it hurts to read PP's comment, that is absolutely how the client will perceive it. (I kind of sit on both sides. I'm technically a contractor, but my role is such that I hear about their issues with other contractors).

Thank you for letting me know. It is good to get perspective.

Philly Mom
08-31-2017, 03:43 AM
Yes, break out the CC. I am essentially a contractor. I'm a lawyer who bills by the hour. I don't have any large clients who pay before 30 days of receipt of invoice and in the past are 60-90 day pays. It is incredibly frustrating but until it has been 45 days I don't think I would say anything and TBH, I had one invoice that was not paid from a client who pays every 30 days. I waited an extra 30 days to see if they paid my next invoice. I didn't follow up until then. Turns out somehow my check was delivered to a charity and they deposited it. I was very uncomfortable following up but I knew that there must have been a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

HannaAddict
08-31-2017, 03:45 AM
It wasn't a lecture, but you made it sound like a large amount of money and that you had to have it exactly on a certain date and may include your cash flow issues to the company when asking about it. Just explaining that from the company's perspective it isn't their issue and would look unprofessional. That is the hard part of being a contractor, or a professional like a lawyer that relies on things being paid. My husband has had to file motions to enforce judgments for huge settlements that companies drag their feet on paying, and his clients are stuck and he still needs to pay his staff - it is frustrating. You said your husband works at the company which complicates it further, you don't want it to reflect poorly on him that his wife is sweating them for $$ before it is due, or a few days after. I know it is Labor Day so if staff is out on break early and the check doesn't get cut, it is into September. I'm sorry but just wouldn't want you to jeopardize future work as many places won't do business with providers who are that close to the financial edge. No idea what you are providing though and maybe that isn't the case in your industry. I do hope it arrives.
ETA The person paying can make life a real pain and if they are annoyed with being asked before it is due or much overdue, can even put it on the bottom of the proverbial pile and much like the many moms on here who say they intentionally go slower when they know someone is waiting for their spot and they feel rushed and annoyed, that lowly payroll clerk can make life a pain for you.

rlu
08-31-2017, 01:40 PM
I am going to say boo on that company though. When was the work done? "in august" is wishy-washy at best. "in 30/45 days" is professional. Sounds like a small company so I'd hold off until next Tuesday before contacting them. Here's hoping the direct deposit is sitting in your account this morning.

carolinacool
08-31-2017, 02:10 PM
At my last job, I worked at an agency and hired freelance writers. To RLU's point, I thought our pay structure was really crappy and not well-defined. I personally had no issue when writers would contact me asking about their money. Someone should be able to tell you a date at this point. But I understand TwinFoxes' point about your DH knowing the culture better.