PDA

View Full Version : Best natural peanut butter?

bisous
08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
DD doesn't have the best diet. But she loves natural peanut butter. We're going quickly through our stash and have tried a few brands. I'm looking for a good, natural peanut butter with only peanuts and salt. I'd really love to be able to find one that I doesn't separate. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but I absolutely hate stirring the oil and the peanuts back together! If it could be found affordably that would be even better.

Any recommendations?

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Whole Foods. Grind your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinsmommy
08-30-2017, 06:13 PM
If you want no stir from a jar, there will be something like coconut oil in there to hold it together. I like Marantha. If you really want only peanuts and salt, you'll have to stir at least the first time. Turn it upside down on the counter for a couple days before opening to move the oil to the bottom of the jar, and then stir it in. Stir it in the fridge after, and there should be no separation.

Grind your own doesn't need stirring if you refrigerate right away, but I used to read a lot about those machines having aflatoxin contamination - probably because they are hard to clean. Haven't used them since. It may be that they have dealt with the issue since then.

bisous
08-30-2017, 06:16 PM
If you want no stir from a jar, there will be something like coconut oil in there to hold it together. I like Marantha. If you really want only peanuts and salt, you'll have to stir at least the first time. Turn it upside down on the counter for a couple days before opening to move the oil to the bottom of the jar, and then stir it in. Stir it in the fridge after, and there should be no separation.

Grind your own doesn't need stirring if you refrigerate right away, but I used to read a lot about those machines having aflatoxin contamination - probably because they are hard to clean. Haven't used them since. It may be that they have dealt with the issue since then.

Hmm. Really? I used to get this Kirkland stuff (from Costco) that didn't need stirring! We used Jif on our vacation (group purchased groceries) and while I dislike the extra ingredients and especially the sugar, there is something compelling about just opening the jar and spreading, then putting it back on the shelf.

baymom
08-30-2017, 06:21 PM
We mainly use almond butter, but do like Justin's natural peanut butter. Admittedly, don't have much to compare it to, but it's only ingredients are dry roasted peanuts and palm oil. We try to avoid palm oil, but it's an ingredient in this...

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Hmm. Really? I used to get this Kirkland stuff (from Costco) that didn't need stirring! We used Jif on our vacation (group purchased groceries) and while I dislike the extra ingredients and especially the sugar, there is something compelling about just opening the jar and spreading, then putting it back on the shelf.

I got sick of stirring too and use Jif Natural now.

bisous
08-30-2017, 06:48 PM

I will be looking for that one!

Mommy_Mea
08-30-2017, 07:04 PM

the upside down jar trick is brilliant! you may have solved a major pet peeve of mine!

jennilynn
08-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Best I've found is the Old Home brand. I find it at Target, but in the refrigerated section near the eggs, not by the peanut butter. It doesn't separate and has good texture with no added oils or sugar! Not quite as smooth as shelf stable but works for us. We also eat a lot of peanut butter.

AnnieW625
08-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Adam's, which you can find at Walmart. Laura Scudders is good as well and available at most stores and Target. O Organics at Vons is good as well as is Whole Foods 365, but for some reason Adam's my favorite and I can only find it at Walmart.

lizzywednesday
08-30-2017, 08:27 PM
I like Trader Joe's. We use the upside-down jar trick and only have to stir once.

There's also a gadget sold by For Small Hands for stirring it easily; I've considered buying it myself:

http://www.forsmallhands.com/kitchen/snack-time/mess-free-peanut-butter-mixer-559

trcy
08-30-2017, 08:48 PM

This is what we use too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kindra178
08-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Trader Joe's.

123LuckyMom
08-30-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm very wary of natural peanut butter that DOESN'T separate because, in nature, it always will. We use a brand called Ted's, and it separates. I purchased a peanut butter mixer that works okay. A knife pumped up and down like a butter churn works equally well and is less messy. I usually do the butter churn method, store overnight upside down, and do the churn again the next day. I only use the mixer when I open the jar and need to use it right away (as opposed to the next day.) I agree that the separated peanut butter is yucky, but it's just what peanuts and peanut oil do, and unless you're going through jars at a great rate, it's a pretty intermittent chore.

robinsmommy
08-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Natural in our house means "organic", which may not be the same for OP. Organic no-stir often uses some tropical oil to prevent separation. Some (natural or not) use sugar to do the same. There is either stirring, or something added other than peanuts and salt to prevent separation. :shrug: Gotta pick your battles. I stir. And buy organic peanut butter at discount grocers when I can to save $.

solsister
08-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Costco has the best, by far. Turn upside down overnight, shake a few times, mix it, and you never have to mix it again. Two jars of it for under 10 bucks. Good stuff!
Safeway O peanut butter is also good. They have a no stir version, but dont know what ingredients are in it.

AnnieW625
08-31-2017, 12:16 AM
The Trader Joe's natural no stir peanut butter spread (https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/creamy-or-crunchy-no-stir-peanut-butter-spreads) has added powdered sugar to it. If you don't want palm oil in your spreadable peanut butter then I guess this could be a better option.

Putting peanut butter upside down work well as well.

TwinFoxes
08-31-2017, 02:02 AM
Admittedly, we use almond not peanut butter, but the storing it upside down method hasn't made a huge difference. We do get the giant Costco jars of it, so maybe that's why?

OP, if I'm out of the Costco brand I'll buy TJs no-stir almond butter. It's good, so you might want to give their PB a try. It's not overly sweet.

Off topic, I don't think they have Laura Scudders out here. That name felt blast from the past-ish to me.

rin
08-31-2017, 02:15 AM
I like Trader Joe's. We use the upside-down jar trick and only have to stir once.

There's also a gadget sold by For Small Hands for stirring it easily; I've considered buying it myself:

http://www.forsmallhands.com/kitchen/snack-time/mess-free-peanut-butter-mixer-559

We bought this! I never use it, but DH does, and claims it's solved his peanut butter stirring frustrations. I just don't bother stirring. :)

liz
08-31-2017, 08:39 AM
We've been using Skippy Natural for years now. Peanuts, sugar, palm oil, salt. Not sure if that is natural enough for you though (vs grinding your own). No need to stir and tastes great! Our warehouse club sells an organic version too.

eta, just saw that Smucker's has natural peanut butters, peanuts and salt are main ingredients, some versions have honey. http://www.eatthis.com/peanut-butter-ranked

PunkyBoo
08-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Admittedly, we use almond not peanut butter, but the storing it upside down method hasn't made a huge difference. We do get the giant Costco jars of it, so maybe that's why?

OP, if I'm out of the Costco brand I'll buy TJs no-stir almond butter. It's good, so you might want to give their PB a try. It's not overly sweet.

Off topic, I don't think they have Laura Scudders out here. That name felt blast from the past-ish to me.
I use the Costco jars too- we have both almond and peanut butter. I always store upside down, give it one stir when opening, then store it upside down in the fridge. I never have to stir again.

AnnieW625
08-31-2017, 11:50 AM

I think it is like a Hellman's/Best Foods thing.....as once Smuckers got Laura Scudder (a long time ago) they stopped selling Adam's here (also owned by Smuckers) and just Laura Scudders.

You probably remember Laura Scudders potato chips too.

I wish Costco did a crunchy all natural peanut butter because that is what my DH likes. The kids like creamy and prefer no stir.

123LuckyMom
09-02-2017, 10:43 PM
So it's added sugar that makes it stay together, I guess. Ours is just peanuts and salt. If you get the plain peanut butter, it's just peanuts, no salt, added sugar, or added oil. I'd rather have just the nuts and stir rather than the added sugar.

urquie
09-03-2017, 12:39 AM

Us too, TJ's no salt (peanuts are the only ingredient). I bought the same highly rated gadget on Amazon, but never use it, since the PB only needs stirring once, right before refrigerating. The bother of setting up the gadget and cleaning it are more annoying than stirring once with a table knife.

(https://smile.amazon.com/Grandpa-Fashioned-Mess-Free-16-Ounce-2-75-Inch/dp/B003IQH72M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504412937&sr=8-2&keywords=peanut+butter+stirrer

essnce629
09-04-2017, 02:43 AM
TJ's organic peanut butter with salt. Peanuts and salt only.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

ncat
09-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Trader Joe's. Stir once after opening, then refrigerate.

legaleagle
09-06-2017, 11:18 AM
How does she eat it? Every non-no stir natural brand I've used is incredibly hard once refrigerated to spread on something soft like bread (but fine on apples). I guess you could always portion out into another container a few days worth. I get the ground at the store kind but I'm the only one who eats it and I don't make sandwiches - just on apples or straight from the spoon.

DS1 eats jif natural smooth.