PDA

View Full Version : Canned food keep or toss

petesgirl
09-04-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm okay using most foods that have passed their expiration date a bit, but how far out are you willing to go on canned goods? Things like chicken noodle soup, cream soups, chicken broth? We are cleaning out our storage room today and there is some pretty old stuff. 😬

jgenie
09-04-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm one of the "it's not worth the risk people" so I would be fine with a couple of months but not more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
09-04-2017, 06:19 PM
Are you talking a month or so or a year or more. I've cleaned some grand parents ( and moms) and found "old stuff" and Im talking a decade +

petesgirl
09-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Are you talking a month or so or a year or more. I've cleaned some grand parents ( and moms) and found "old stuff" and Im talking a decade +

All between 1 - 3 years. I want to just toss but DH's family will eat anything no matter how old it is so he and I aren't in agreement on this.

JBaxter
09-04-2017, 07:02 PM
TOSS Open the cans ( recycle them) and dump everything down the garbage disposal Im a keeper of most things marginal but if it has a date I can be flexible but a year is beyond flexible IMO

LBW
09-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I'd be okay with a month or two. But a year+ I would definitely toss! Not worth the risk.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2017, 07:48 PM
What's the wording on the dates? Best by? Use by? Expires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
09-04-2017, 07:53 PM
I am usually in the toss camp, so this is a definite toss for me. Canned food is usually pretty inexpensive, medical bills are pretty expensive. Not worth the risk IMO.

Philly Mom
09-04-2017, 07:54 PM
We would keep and eat in our house. Canned food normally doesn't go bad.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2017, 08:00 PM
http://healthland.time.com/2013/09/18/is-your-food-expired-dont-be-so-quick-to-toss-it/

"Most expiration dates on foods in cans range from 1 to 4 years—but keep the food in a cool, dark place and the cans undented and in good condition, and you can likely safely double that shelf life from 3 to up to 6 years. "
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/03/16/which-expired-foods-are-okay-to-eat.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
09-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm okay using most foods that have passed their expiration date a bit, but how far out are you willing to go on canned goods? Things like chicken noodle soup, cream soups, chicken broth? We are cleaning out our storage room today and there is some pretty old stuff. 

I have seen some of those "Utah" storage rooms, my neighbors was like a mini Costco! For those within a year I'd keep, if your DH insists, let him take the other one's to his family! I was also fascinated when my friends would go downtown Salt Lake and do the whole canning thing.

JBaxter
09-04-2017, 08:57 PM
I'd trust my mom's canned food more than manufactured canned goods.

essnce629
09-05-2017, 12:46 AM
I'd only be ok with stuff that's within 3 months of the date.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mackmama
09-05-2017, 02:00 AM
Hella toss.

Mommy_Mea
09-05-2017, 05:59 AM
our local food pantry keeps canned donations that are a year past expiration.

ang79
09-05-2017, 09:02 AM
our local food pantry keeps canned donations that are a year past expiration.

Interesting. Most food pantries around here will not accept food that is past exp. date or close to exp. date.

NCGrandma
09-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Interesting. Most food pantries around here will not accept food that is past exp. date or close to exp. date.

Also true here.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ett
09-05-2017, 10:03 AM

When we collected canned goods for scouts, during the sorting, we were told to only toss stuff more than 6 months past the expiration date. But I believe the flyer still states not to donated expired food. I'm guessing food pantries don't want to generally advertise that slightly expired stuff is okay to donate. There were tons of stuff that was still tossed even with the 6 month buffer.

legaleagle
09-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Properly stored canned food is safe to eat pretty much indefinitely if the can is in good shape. At some point it may not taste quite as good but it's still safe.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/26/167819082/dont-fear-that-expired-food

rin
09-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Keep. The 'risk' of it having gone bad is negligible, canned food (as long as the can is not damaged/bulging/leaking/etc) is pretty much always fine. Might not taste all that great, but there really aren't any 'risks' to eating old canned food as long as the can is fine (particularly cream soups/things with low acidity).

Honestly, you're probably more at risk eating a fresh turkey & sprouts sandwich from the local deli, or some fresh cantaloupe.

khm
09-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Canned goods are cheap. Sounds like you have a lot of excess, do you really want to eat a bunch of old, cheap food? ;)

I'd toss the oldest of the old for sure. Then I'd realize that this stuff GOT old because we weren't eating it, so I'd toss it all. I'm sure it is safe, but if it didn't get eaten while it was new, it isn't likely to get eaten now.

I'd start with a clean slate and be more mindful of what gets bought and actually used vs. shoved to the back of the cabinet never to be seen again.

I know, in your shoes, if we kept it we'd still not eat it, then have we'd to go thru the whole exercise in another year.

carolinacool
09-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Toss. As others said, canned goods are pretty cheap, especially since I tend to buy the store brand for veggies. I might go a few months out for corn or greens, but cream anything gets tossed if passed the expiration date by a month or so.

petesgirl
09-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Canned goods are cheap. Sounds like you have a lot of excess, do you really want to eat a bunch of old, cheap food? ;)

I'd toss the oldest of the old for sure. Then I'd realize that this stuff GOT old because we weren't eating it, so I'd toss it all. I'm sure it is safe, but if it didn't get eaten while it was new, it isn't likely to get eaten now.

I'd start with a clean slate and be more mindful of what gets bought and actually used vs. shoved to the back of the cabinet never to be seen again.

I know, in your shoes, if we kept it we'd still not eat it, then have we'd to go thru the whole exercise in another year.

Yeah, it isn't so much that it's excess... Just that I'm trying to cut back on using canned cream soups. My mom baked with them a lot so that's what I grew up with but I know they aren't healthy. I also have a lot of fruit cocktail for some reason - - and you're right, we probably won't use it!

StantonHyde
09-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Oh geez--give it to DH's family for their food stores or take it to the ward and leave it in a box that says "please take". It'll be gone in no time. It doesn't go to waste and you can start anew. Win. win.