PDA

View Full Version : So as not to hijack...policys for CLUB (not rec) sports

TwinFoxes
09-05-2017, 05:40 PM
JustMe's post made me curious...is making the whole team run for a player being late unusual? My kids are strictly rec-league, they're good, but thus far they do not really take any sport seriously, so I don't have any club experience. I do remember my brother playing Pop Warner football (which was kind of like club, they had to try out and they played across a wide geographic area) and they had to run laps for being late and other transgressions. I'm not saying I think it's right to punish the whole team, I'm just wondering if it's common practice.

smilequeen
09-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Not normal for us. Travel hockey and Select baseball. One kid does something, one kid pays. If the majority of kids are doing something, they all pay the price. In hockey, one kid would lose shifts, or one line if they are messing around. The whole team might skate sideboards if many of them are goofing off at practice. No one is ever punished for being late, at least not a pre-driving age. If they make a habit of it and don't text the coach to let him know, then they might I guess.

JBaxter
09-05-2017, 06:44 PM
Generally if you have a slacker here he doesn't start or doesn't get as much playing time. Our coach is awesome and expects them to all do their best. I have seen him have them run suicides if the whole team is screwing around.

mom_hanna
09-05-2017, 08:16 PM
My dd plays travel baseball and volleyball and here, the whole team does pushups, suicides, and/or runs when someone is screwing around. So far, lates just mean the late player warms up by him/herself because at this age (13), parents are driving so usually it's the parent's fault the kid is late.

bcafe
09-05-2017, 08:18 PM
No, kids are not punished for being late. I would have a serious problem punishing a child when they have no control over driving, etc. Goofing off is different because as a team it is each other's responsibility to keep team mates accountable.

mom2binsd
09-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Travel hockey, for practices just a heads up if you aren't going to make it or going to be late, the dressing room get's locked so if you get there once we've taken the ice it's a PITA.

For games, we are required to be there 1 hour before, to do warmups etc. Most of our games are at least 2 hours away, on the weekends. If you are late you will sit 5 min during the game. This is mostly to get some of the slow poke parents who are chronically late to get there on time, it screws up the warmup time the team does, the pre game chalk talk etc. Also, the parent will be motivated not to be late again as nobody wants their kid to sit. If you have car trouble or run into traffic, you text the coach.

If a bunch of kids are fooling around either in the dressing room or on the ice, the entire team will do the "Killer" drills.

georgiegirl
09-05-2017, 11:52 PM
My kids are on a club swim team and there's no group or individual punishment for being late. On occasion the kids might get "punished" if they aren't doing the drill correctly and have to repeat it. (Like if flip turns are required for the 8 and under bunch and someone doesn't do it, then all kids have to swim the 100 with flip turns again.). But it's not typical. For the older kids, they are usually only "punished" if they themselves goof off...and usually they have to sit out...like when some of the boys (11) were pretending to be narwhals during practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corie
09-06-2017, 12:21 PM
My son played football through our town's youth program. The same coach moved up every year and we would get stuck with him.
He would make the entire team run if one child was late. I told him that really wasn't fair since it was only one child who was late
and it was probably the parent's fault. I said that I thought the parent should have to run. LOL! Don't punish the entire team because
one parent got their child late to practice.

But there were many other things that I didn't agree with about this coach. His coaching made a lot of boys quit football and not return
to the sport.

Kindra178
09-06-2017, 01:00 PM
We are regularly involved in three travel sports spanning 6 leagues. No particular coach makes the kids run if someone is late, but generally speaking no one is regularly late.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)