PDA

View Full Version : Carpool logistics question

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 12:43 PM
This is the first time we are doing a carpool. One of the kids, let's call her "Jane", is a third grader and her mom is "fine with her riding in the front seat if she needs to" since she is tall. Hmm. Ok. Well she may be tall but she is still only 8 or 9. I only have 1 free seat in the back, between two car seats, and this girl's brother, "Joe" will be there in a backless booster. So, do I A) let Jane ride in the front seat; B) put DD1 in DD2's car seat, Joe in DD1's HBB, and Jane in the middle (DD2 will not be in the car), or C) remove DD2's car seat so that I have two extra spaces in the back, which is a pain but not a huge pain since it is a clicktight seat.

I know option A really isn't an option. Would you go with B or C? Or do you have another suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
What kind of seat is dd2's seat? I don't know your kid's ages- can you just go with boosters all around now?

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 01:49 PM
What kind of seat is dd2's seat? I don't know your kid's ages- can you just go with boosters all around now?

DD1 is 7 but tiny (35 lbs) so she usually rides in a harnessed booster but I am ok with her using a high back booster for short rides.
DD2 is 3 and in a forward-facing convertible in our two main cars and a harnessed booster in my father-in-law's car.

DD2's seat in my car is a Marathon Clicktight and yes, I could switch that with a harnessed booster that I have in a different car, I totally forgot about that option. However, I would still have to install and uninstall the booster each time, unless you mean leave it installed and have the younger carpool kid sit there?

doberbrat
09-07-2017, 04:02 PM
B ..... am I misunderstanding? This way you dont have to uninstall car seats AND Jane is in the back seat.

What would be the drawbacks?

gymnbomb
09-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Option B sounds great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 09:31 PM
B ..... am I misunderstanding? This way you dont have to uninstall car seats AND Jane is in the back seat.

What would be the drawbacks?

I guess I assumed that Joe will not want to sit in a harnessed booster if he normally rides in a backless booster. The seat is currently latched. Can I use the seat belt to secure him in the seat as when it is used as a high back booster, but still keep it latched and move the harness aside for the ride?

doberbrat
09-07-2017, 09:53 PM
I guess I assumed that Joe will not want to sit in a harnessed booster if he normally rides in a backless booster. The seat is currently latched. Can I use the seat belt to secure him in the seat as when it is used as a high back booster, but still keep it latched and move the harness aside for the ride?

I doubt it. You'd have to check the manual. I've only encountered problems once with children complaining about being put back in a harnessed seat in my car- My answer is 'this is where you sit in my car'. The child opted to not ride with us again .....which is fine with me.

Personally I'd never put someone else's <12yo kid in the front seat. Too much liability IMO. Is it even legal where you live?

ett
09-07-2017, 10:10 PM
If the brother still fits in the harnessed booster, then I would choose B. Tell him it's your car and this is the only seat for him.

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Personally I'd never put someone else's <12yo kid in the front seat. Too much liability IMO. Is it even legal where you live?

Unfortunately it is! Children age 8 and older are only required to be seatbelted, the back seat is not required. :( :(

And no, I was really not considering option A. Like you, I am not comfortable with a kid in the front seat. I was laying it out in my OP as a "rolling my eyes that this could even be a choice per the mother" statement.

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 10:46 PM
If the brother still fits in the harnessed booster, then I would choose B. Tell him it's your car and this is the only seat for him.

Thanks. I will have to check his height and weight, I may need to un-latch and reinstall with the seatbelt to make it work, provided he is not much taller than DD1.