PDA

View Full Version : booster seat for 8yo dd?

diamond
09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
we have a britax frontier 85 in one car and like it, but she may outgrow it soon based on head height and dont want to get another similar seat. We already have a bubble bum for carpooling etc.. I am loking for a seat which is better than bubble bum and harnessed is even better. my dd is almost 65lbs and 53"

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
At 8yo, I would just go with a low back booster. The seat belt just needs to be hitting them correctly. My kiddo was harnessed in a Frontier when he was 8 but before he turned 9, we went to a regular booster. I definitely wouldn't invest in a harnessed seat at this age; there really aren't that many to choose from either.

candaceb
09-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Is she going to outgrow the Frontier if it's in booster mode? If she's still harnessed, I would just take the harness off and use it as a HBB.

If you're looking at LBB, I just did this analysis and I'm getting the Graco Turbobooster LX next week at Target because they're having a trade-in event and I'd love to get the about-to-expire Frontier out of my garage. I picked the LX because it has LATCH so the seat won't become a projectile if it's not in use and I'm in an accident.

carolinacool
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
My DS will be 8 in December and is about the same size as your DD. We've had the Chicco Kidfit booster for about two years and have been happy with it. It's still a HBB in my car, but DH took off the back for the one in his car about two months ago. We also have the Kidfit LLB that we use as a spare seat. It's actually a little plusher than the seat to the HBB version.

trales
09-07-2017, 08:26 PM
We have the graco turbo booster with the latch and it is pretty awesome. It really stays put. She is comfortable and no one really notices it. She wishes it did not have arms and was more like the bumble bum for discreetness, but she is 10 and very tiny so her friends sometimes notice, but never say anything negative.

AnnieW625
09-07-2017, 11:01 PM
At 8 and about that same size Dd1 was in a Graco turbo or a Harmony Cruz booster (not sure if they still make it but I am pretty sure they still make the lite rider). The Harmony puzzled better with 3 across (DD1 and a friend in boosters and DD2 in either a Blvd. or Frontier 90) than the Graco. Once she hit 60lbs we got her a Safety First Incognito which she used until she was just shy of 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
09-07-2017, 11:22 PM
My DS will be 8 in December and is about the same size as your DD. We've had the Chicco Kidfit booster for about two years and have been happy with it. It's still a HBB in my car, but DH took off the back for the one in his car about two months ago. We also have the Kidfit LLB that we use as a spare seat. It's actually a little plusher than the seat to the HBB version.

This is us exactly, except my DS just turned 8. We've been super happy with the chicco.

The Frontier is one of the seats with the heightest harness limits, so if she is outgrowing it by height, she may not have any options left, other than a booster.

KpbS
09-08-2017, 01:12 AM
DS (9) uses a Graco Affix (a HBB). It's been great. I'd buy it again without hesitation.

ang79
09-08-2017, 08:52 AM
We did Britax Parkways (HBB) as they outgrew their other seats (Maestro and Nautilus) as I happened to get a great deal on them at Kohls and I wanted seats that Latched in so they wouldn't slide around when kids weren't in them. DD2 (8.5) still sits comfortably in her Parkway in my car. DD1 (almost 11) uses an Evenflo Amp (LBB) in my car and both use the Amps in DH's car and they say they are comfortable. Poor DD1 is a bit short for her age and is not quite tall enough to fit in either of our SUVs without a seat (though she can sit in the third row of my Highlander without one).

diamond
09-08-2017, 10:54 AM
thanks guys, dd is harnessed in a frontier in my car and close to head limit, but in dhs car she goes rarely and has a bubblebum. i think the chicco booster HBB or graco may be good and more secure for her.. I tossed the expired seat and have none to trade at target

diamond
09-09-2017, 12:43 PM
https://us.diono.com/product/monterey-xt-booster/?color=teal

got an email about diono car seat sale has the monterey XT booster for 65$. Does anyone have this seat? and is it good?

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2017, 12:48 PM
I highly recommend letting your kiddo try the seats in person. The wings on that one might be annoying for them.
ETA- for the most part, they're all pretty equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
09-09-2017, 01:09 PM
I'd just convert the frontier into booster mode. It really is a decent booster and you've already spent the $$ on the seat.

diamond
09-09-2017, 01:23 PM
I'd just convert the frontier into booster mode. It really is a decent booster and you've already spent the $$ on the seat.

i am passing frontier to my alomost 6yo ds, so I need a booster for 8yo dd. she has a frontier in my car (main car she rides)

essnce629
09-10-2017, 07:33 PM
DS2 is 8 years old and about 60lbs and 53.5" tall. He's in a Britax Parkway SGL G1.1 high back booster in my car. He likes it and his friend (who rides with nothing) rode in it recently and said it was really comfortable. DS2 still falls asleep in the car at times, especially when we travel, which is why I wanted him in a high back booster still. I also wanted one with LATCH so it's secured to the car when he's not in it.

In DH's car he rides in his Frontier 90 that's been converted to booster mode.

If you go with a Turbobooster, make sure you try it in person. They are known for not going very high and can be outgrown by height rather quickly. Your DD seems to be on the tall side like my kids. I had a TB for my carpool boy who has always been super tiny, but never used it for my own kids.

Britax Parkway SGL G1.1 Belt-Positioning Booster, Spade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2VQZ1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rMCTzbSFNHCS2

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
09-10-2017, 07:38 PM
DS2 is 8 years old and about 60lbs and 53.5" tall. He's in a Britax Parkway SGL G1.1 high back booster in my car. He likes it and his friend (who rides with nothing) rode in it recently and said it was really comfortable. DS2 still falls asleep in the car at times, especially when we travel, which is why I wanted him in a high back booster still. I also wanted one with LATCH so it's secured to the car when he's not in it.

In DH's car he rides in his Frontier 90 that's been converted to booster mode.

Britax Parkway SGL G1.1 Belt-Positioning Booster, Spade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2VQZ1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rMCTzbSFNHCS2

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
This is the seat we have for DS1 who is similar weight/ height (and is also 8).