PDA

View Full Version : P & PT, if you are in Irma's path.

trcy
09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Please be safe. This storm is a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
09-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Jeana, I know you are possibly in the path of the the storm! Stay safe. My friend's in St. Petersburg are staying put, their front door is at 17 ft and they are not on a flood zone, their 1920 solid 2 story house will hopefully keep them safe!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥
09-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Yes! So scary. Hope Florida BBB'ers are doing ok. and thinking of those in PR and Caribbean as well.

JBaxter
09-07-2017, 04:04 PM
We are not in a flood plane and are gulf side so if the storm stays on its current track we will be fine. Sarasota has some gas everyone filled up earlier this week bottle water is at a premium ( I have 2 cases and a 15 gallon cooler for water & DH's company ordered enough for everyone to have a case of bottles) Extra propane tank in case we would lose electric. I have to pull the furniture off the lanai but we SHOULD be ok. If she takes a crazy swing into the gulf I'll worry. I75 and I95 is like a parking lot and has been since yesterday.

DualvansMommy
09-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Some of my extended family is in the direct path around Palm beach area and are evacuating today! They had to split up into two different groups due to logistical issues with gas; heading up to Georgia and TN to ride out the storm. They're hoping for not severe damage to their homes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NCGrandma
09-07-2017, 04:16 PM
NC has been under a state of emergency since 8 a.m. today. I think that's mostly so the governor has everything in place if necessary. I haven't seen much activity yet but apparently generators are already hard to find. But we're closely watching FL and beyond. Hope you're all safe.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinacool
09-07-2017, 04:29 PM
NC has been under a state of emergency since 8 a.m. today. I think that's mostly so the governor has everything in place if necessary. I haven't seen much activity yet but apparently generators are already hard to find. But we're closely watching FL and beyond. Hope you're all safe.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yeah, a guy that I know from around here posted a photo of the generator he bought yesterday. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Getting food and gas, I guess. I just texted DH and told him we should fill up our propane tank for the grill. We only have the one -- never thought about needing an extra.

Jeana and any other Floridians -- stay safe!

JBaxter
09-07-2017, 05:12 PM
AND new storm path predicted.... If it cuts up the center of Florida its gonna be bad. Orlando is in the direct path if it stays on the European model.

LBW
09-07-2017, 06:39 PM
My in laws are in a mandatory evacuation zone (Savannah) so they are leaving tomorrow and will be staying with us as long as needed. Hopefully they'll have a house to go home to! I'm just glad they are getting out ahead of the storm and will be safe. It looks like it's going to be terrible for a huge number of people.

ilfaith
09-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Trying not to obsess over the projected storm trajectory. It's not supposed to hit us until Sunday night into Monday morning, so we've got another 48 hours until we have a better idea of the storm's actual path.

We are planning on hunkering down in St. Augustine. I don't think there is a vacant hotel room between here and Atlanta or Charlotte (or a bottle of water anywhere in the state). I would venture a guess that about half of my neighbors are leaving town. But we have a generator, and are 20 feet above sea level. I wasn't able to purchase bottled water anywhere, but we have a number of jugs, carafes, and sports bottles, so we'll just fill them with filtered tap water as the storm nears.

Our home sustained minimal damage last year during Matthew (when we did flee to Orlando). We didn't even lose any trees...although many were down in our neighborhood. Schools are closed tomorrow and Monday...and depending on the impact of the storm, possibly longer. My sons' middle school is one of four shelters for our county, so as long as it s being used for that purpose, I don't believe classes will resume.

So far they are calling for mandatory evacuations of Zones A and B (in red and orange on the map). We are in Zone C (the yellow area)...but just a block or two from Zone B.
http://www.sjcemergencymanagement.org/pdf-maps/evaczones%208x11.pdf

My parents (and a number of aunts, uncles, and cousins) are down in Palm Beach County. My 95-year-old grandmother is in an assisted living right on the water...my parents picked her up this evening and brought her further inland to their home, since her facility is evacuating tomorrow. My parents told me their friends left Boynton Beach and it took them nine hours to make it as far as Jacksonville...twice the normal time. I know it took several of my neighbors much longer than usual to get to Atlanta, Charlotte, and other destinations. We did manage to fill our three cars with fuel. The lines were long, and when I filled my SUV, I was glad it took diesel, because that and premium were all that was available at the station. If we do need to leave, at least the cars are ready to go.

TwoBees
09-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Hoping everyone stays safe!

jerseygirl07067
09-07-2017, 10:09 PM
AND new storm path predicted.... If it cuts up the center of Florida its gonna be bad. Orlando is in the direct path if it stays on the European model.

Yes, I'm in Orlando too. We have been doing lots of prep, plan on boarding up, and I've been to the grocery store every day for the past 5 days. I actually just took photos of all of our stuff with serial #s, which is something I've been meaning to do for months anyway, and are getting all of our important documents ready. I live on the east side, so if it goes west we will get the east side of the storm, but it will be bad all around if either model is correct. This one def has me scared! Stay safe to all who are in the path!

jgenie
09-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Stay safe everyone!

ilfaith - if you're sheltering in place, fill your bathtubs with water. You can use that water to flush toilets or wash hands. That's what we did when he had to shut off our water during a storm due to a broken pipe. I also filled all of my large pots with water and kept them on the stovetop. We didn't use it all but it was good to have just in case.

Trying not to obsess over the projected storm trajectory. It's not supposed to hit us until Sunday night into Monday morning, so we've got another 48 hours until we have a better idea of the storm's actual path.

We are planning on hunkering down in St. Augustine. I don't think there is a vacant hotel room between here and Atlanta or Charlotte (or a bottle of water anywhere in the state). I would venture a guess that about half of my neighbors are leaving town. But we have a generator, and are 20 feet above sea level. I wasn't able to purchase bottled water anywhere, but we have a number of jugs, carafes, and sports bottles, so we'll just fill them with filtered tap water as the storm nears.

Our home sustained minimal damage last year during Matthew (when we did flee to Orlando). We didn't even lose any trees...although many were down in our neighborhood. Schools are closed tomorrow and Monday...and depending on the impact of the storm, possibly longer. My sons' middle school is one of four shelters for our county, so as long as it s being used for that purpose, I don't believe classes will resume.

So far they are calling for mandatory evacuations of Zones A and B (in red and orange on the map). We are in Zone C (the yellow area)...but just a block or two from Zone B.
http://www.sjcemergencymanagement.org/pdf-maps/evaczones%208x11.pdf

My parents (and a number of aunts, uncles, and cousins) are down in Palm Beach County. My 95-year-old grandmother is in an assisted living right on the water...my parents picked her up this evening and brought her further inland to their home, since her facility is evacuating tomorrow. My parents told me their friends left Boynton Beach and it took them nine hours to make it as far as Jacksonville...twice the normal time. I know it took several of my neighbors much longer than usual to get to Atlanta, Charlotte, and other destinations. We did manage to fill our three cars with fuel. The lines were long, and when I filled my SUV, I was glad it took diesel, because that and premium were all that was available at the station. If we do need to leave, at least the cars are ready to go.

ilfaith
09-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Figured I would pop in to say we survived the storm with minimal damage...just a lot of downed tree limbs and a small roof leak where water got in through the flashing.

But this is the first time since Sunday evening that we have had power (beyond what our generator provided), internet, cable, and cellular service. I must say, living off the grid is not for me. The generator was a godsend...until a capacitor blew yesterday morning. Didn't take long for the house to heat up like a sauna. But we finished off the ice cream that was melting in the freezer to cool off.

The kids are out of school until Monday, which means they will have six days to make up. Hoping they don't cut short our winter or spring breaks...because camping out at home this week was no vacation.

On the other hand, we are counting our blessings that we didn't suffer any real damage to our home from wind or the flooding that happened in our area. It could have been so much worse.

Melbel
09-15-2017, 09:37 AM
All is well here in NE FL as well both for our current home and the one we are building that is near completion. There was plenty of debris/branches, but considering that so many families we know had their homes flooded, we are counting our blessings. We did not even lose power. Kids made it back to school yesterday with little to no damage. We had a nor'easter for several days before Irma arrived, so the ground was saturated and rivers were higher than normal. Pumps downtown failed and were no match for this historical flooding. My husband's office building downtown was flooded and it will take months to reopen from what we are told.