PDA

View Full Version : Fix my older car or drive as is?

bisous
09-08-2017, 05:57 PM
We're being offered a 2001 Toyota Sienna with 213K miles on it for free. Our old car, a 2000 Honda CRV (with ironically exactly 213K on it too!) is pretty much toast.

The question is whether or not to fix the transmission on the Sienna. We've taken it to a very reputable transmission repair place and they've quoted us at $2500. However, the guy also said that we could probably drive it for 2 years without fixing the transmission provided we drive it this certain way and that we only drive around town.

We plan on using this car as a vehicle to get to the train station daily, 3.5 miles away, where it will sit all day until it is driven home. During the week that would be its only use. On weekends we'd might need a second car for around town errands.

Every so often, DH would need to drive in to work. We'd have to switch cars. I think we could work it out where I could stay local that day and drive the Sienna and DH could take my Odyssey.

If we fix the transmission, then DH could drive the car anywhere. FWIW, the engine is in great shape. It has new tires, a new battery, doesn't need a timing belt, and just had the brakes fixed.

Would you pay to fix the transmission or just plan on driving it until it wears out?

vludmilla
09-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Given your particular financial constraints, and the circumstances (predominantly local driving to the train), and the information from the mechanic, I'd say run it into the ground. But, I'd save that $2500 that you would have put into the car and put it into a fund for a "new" old car when you need it.

BDKmom
09-08-2017, 09:16 PM
It would depend on how things would go down if one of you got stranded when the transmission goes out. If you have someone who could easily pick you up and/or you don't have extreme weather to worry about getting stuck in, I would be ok with driving it. I would not want to be stuck on the side of an interstate for hours with the 4 kids in tow. But if the driving will be close enough that you or your DH could easily get help, I wouldn't worry about fixing it right away. I would, however, start putting some money away to fix it as soon as you can. With the overall condition of the car otherwise, I think $2500 is a minimal amount to put into something that could potentially be drivable for many years to come.

ETA: I would also want to know from the mechanic whether driving it until it goes out would cause any additional damage or cost more to get fixed versus fixing now. Doesn't sound like it based on his recommendation, but I would make sure.

robinsmommy
09-09-2017, 01:35 AM
I would also want to know how it would die if it went down suddenly. I would make VERY certain that it could not happen in a way that could cause an accident - you could be held liable because you knew of the issue and drove it regardless.

jgenie
09-09-2017, 04:42 AM
I would be ok driving it until you could pay for the repairs but I wouldn't put it off indefinitely. I was stranded on the side of the road with two kids in the car when my transmission went out on my last car. All of a sudden I pushed the gas and the car wouldn't move. Thankfully I was able to pull over. we were a few blocks from home and DH was able to come get us. We could easily have been on the highway and unable to pull over.

AnnieW625
09-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Nothing beats a free car, but tbh I would probably not repair it as $2500 is a lot of money; $1000-$1500 I might consider it, but not that much. I would start saving and only use that car to go to the train station and back. If he gets stranded he could always uber to get home from the train station. If I had an extra $2500 laying around I would pay down my other car loan more and then just be ready to buy another quality used car once the other car is paid off (or put $2500 down now and buy a used Corolla/Civic/Elantra, etc....) and have a car payment on a $10k car. I would rather do that vs. put $2500 into a car that may not make it another 5 years even with a new transmission. Could your husband ride a bike to and from the train station? Could you drop him off daily and pick him up daily? Also for the days your husband needs to drive to work could he carpool with someone? His company is quite large and he can't be the only person who lives in your general area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candaceb
09-09-2017, 07:39 PM
No way would I spend $2500 to repair a 2001 with over 200K miles.
I had a Pontiac Vibe that I drove to 240,000 miles and it got to the point that it needed $1500 in maintenance (new tires, brakes, etc.). Our mechanic said it would be like taking the $1500 and lighting it on fire if we spent the money on that car.

jacksmomtobe
09-10-2017, 02:46 AM
I don't think it is wise to invest that much money into repairing a car of that age and mileage but with it being a tramsmission issue where the car could just die I think you have no choice to spend the money. It could end up bring a very unsafe situation. That potential would stress me out incredibly.

bisous
09-10-2017, 03:49 AM
Thank you all. I think I'm not going to fix it. I will keep it and use it, as Annie said, very sparingly. Though I think we can probably avoid using it to get to and from the train most days. I think we'll use it as an in town car only. Our town is small and safe. There are not very many large streets. My parents live one mile away and are both retired and very active in our lives. We could call them if we are in a bind. Because we have older cars, we also have one of the higher level memberships with AAA. We might even discover that we really can be a one car family. We have an amazing climate and we can bike and walk a lot of places.

I really needed to work this through and you guys helped me tremendously. Thank you so much!