PDA

View Full Version : experience moving a Hemnes daybed/or advice on a new bed for DD

echoesofspring
09-10-2017, 11:27 AM
I've been looking for a new bed for DD (4.5) as she's grown out of her crib/toddler bed. One thought I had was to get a daybed/trundle. I often find myself sleeping next to her in the middle of the night (along with DS), instead of having them crowd DH and I in our bed. DH had back surgery at the beginning of the year, and having to share a bed with the rest of the family and possibly sleeping in a weird twisted position isn't good for hm. So right now in DD's room we have her toddler bed, which she hasn't slept in in ages and mostly just has stuffies in it, and a queen size mattresses on the floor. I'd like it to look a little more coordinated in there.

An Ikea Hemne's daybed came up on CL yesterday and I was really tempted. It looks like it's in excellent condition, and I think it would fit in my van....if we can figure out how to get it in the van and then up our stairs (with a turn/middle landing). The seller doesn't think the frame can come apart except completely unassembled/a million pieces. I'm leery of moving it as one piece a) b/c of the weight (she's guessing 185 lbs) and b)given that it's particle board, if it gets twisted and breaks it's hard/impossible to repair.
We could bail on trying to get it up the stairs and just buy one and assemble ourselves, but I feel like we might face the same situation moving it down the road if we move.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59186119/

So ....any experience moving one? Or any other suggestions? I've also thought about just getting a queen frame until DD is a little older and really wants to sleep on her own/have a loft bed, etc., but haven't really found something yet. Thanks!

khm
09-10-2017, 12:30 PM
I've been looking for a new bed for DD (4.5) as she's grown out of her crib/toddler bed. One thought I had was to get a daybed/trundle. I often find myself sleeping next to her in the middle of the night (along with DS), instead of having them crowd DH and I in our bed. DH had back surgery at the beginning of the year, and having to share a bed with the rest of the family and possibly sleeping in a weird twisted position isn't good for hm. So right now in DD's room we have her toddler bed, which she hasn't slept in in ages and mostly just has stuffies in it, and a queen size mattresses on the floor. I'd like it to look a little more coordinated in there.

An Ikea Hemne's daybed came up on CL yesterday and I was really tempted. It looks like it's in excellent condition, and I think it would fit in my van....if we can figure out how to get it in the van and then up our stairs (with a turn/middle landing). The seller doesn't think the frame can come apart except completely unassembled/a million pieces. I'm leery of moving it as one piece a) b/c of the weight (she's guessing 185 lbs) and b)given that it's particle board, if it gets twisted and breaks it's hard/impossible to repair.
We could bail on trying to get it up the stairs and just buy one and assemble ourselves, but I feel like we might face the same situation moving it down the road if we move.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59186119/

So ....any experience moving one? Or any other suggestions? I've also thought about just getting a queen frame until DD is a little older and really wants to sleep on her own/have a loft bed, etc., but haven't really found something yet. Thanks!

If you have a queen mattress, I'd keep an eye out for that. Our experience with daybeds is that she wanted out of it at about 8 or 9....

That said, we have a Hemnes regular bed (full) and I've taken it apart to repaint it and it was no big deal. They use screw systems that easily come apart and go back together. Take a look at the assembly instructions from your link. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/hemnes-daybed-frame-with-drawers__AA-1917803-3_pub.pdf

I think you could definitely break it down into smaller pieces without going ALL the way down.

AvaEloise
09-10-2017, 01:01 PM
We just took our Hemnes daybed apart and moved it, and it really wasn't a big deal at all! Much of the weight of it is the trundle and drawers, and once you remove the drawers, the trundle unit is pretty manageable without breaking it down further. The main unit comes apart into flat back and side pieces (and a pile of wooden slats) pretty easily. We moved it in the back of borrowed pickup but I think it would have fit in my van with all the middle seats out (might have needed 2 trips). We love this bed!! We've had it for 6+ years and it is still in great shape after 3 moves (one short move we did and 2 cross country moves with movers).

Simon
09-10-2017, 01:11 PM
I am pro-daybed + trundle but Dh is against so we ended up going a different route. Ds' BFF wanted to get rid of his trundle by age 9 and got a loft at age 10, so if you want longevity that may not be the best route. I vote for a queen frame. We have been happier/more comfortable getting a bigger bed for our kids to share than trying to squeeze into a twin with them.

echoesofspring
09-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the anecdotes - good to know that it breaks apart!
AvaEloise, one follow up question is whether you've used the trundle on carpet? From the reviews it seemed like maybe you need to raise it a bit if you want the trundle to slide smoothly?

Longevity wise, I think if we got to 8 or 9 I'd be thrilled. Just long enough for her to grow out of the phase when she's still drawing on furniture, etc. But yeah, there's something to be said for just getting a queen frame, since I know we all fit on and like the queen mattress, vs. trading for the trundle and discovering we don't fit/don't like the mattresses it comes with. Looks like there are queen frames at ikea in the range (some more, some less) of what they want for the trundle. Still thinking....

gymnbomb
09-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Do you plan to leave it either open or closed most of the time, or were you wanting to pull it in and out frequently? We had a slightly different IKEA daybed in our guest room, and while you could slide it in and out on the carpet it really was best left either in or out most of the time since you have to move the mattresses around when you open or close it. I guess that would be less of an issue if you kept twin sheets on both mattresses and didn't use top sheets or blankets, but it was annoying enough for me that we ended up just keeping it open as a king pretty much all the time. In the end I loved the idea of it, but between not wanting to open/close it much and thinking the mattresses were really uncomfortable even with a topper, as soon as we bought ourselves a new bed we just put our old queen in there and are happier with it that way.

I think the daybed thing would be great for situations like the occasional sleepover or a rarely used guest room that could double as an office or something, but it wasn't great for our frequently used guest room and I don't think it would be great for wanting to be able to be comfy laying in bed with a child on a regular basis.

1mom2dylan
09-10-2017, 05:46 PM
This 18 inch bed frame is great if you want storage space. I can fit big storage bins underneath.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YETHUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mommy_Mea
09-10-2017, 07:46 PM
We have the Hemnes daybed in DS2's room, and it is used as the guest bed in king mode. normally in twin mode. both are very comfy, but it is a pain to go back and forth between the two, so I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. also, it is hard to get out of the bed when it is a king because of the "walls" of the daybed.

When we open it to become a king, we need to pull the drawer up onto an area rug, I don't find it to be an issue.

pharmjenn
09-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Duplicate

pharmjenn
09-10-2017, 07:54 PM
This 18 inch bed frame is great if you want storage space. I can fit big storage bins underneath.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017YETHUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have something like this in our guest room for a queen bed. I can fit most all our Christmas figures (the standing character kind) and extra bedding in bins under there. But the extra height may be hard for a 4yo and a toddler to navigate. I am 5'9" and when I sit on the edge my feet barely touch. My elderly father likes the height for ease of getting in and out, but can not put on his clothing (pants/socks/shoes) from the side of the bed

bisous
09-10-2017, 08:40 PM
I'm curious about these kids that are done with daybeds at age 8 or 9. What do they want instead? Isn't a daybed just a twin bed? Seems like something that should work through all of adulthood. Dorm rooms typically have something daybed like, right? That's what our dorms had but it has been twenty plus years.

khm
09-10-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm curious about these kids that are done with daybeds at age 8 or 9. What do they want instead? Isn't a daybed just a twin bed? Seems like something that should work through all of adulthood. Dorm rooms typically have something daybed like, right? That's what our dorms had but it has been twenty plus years.

My daughter mainly wanted a bigger bed because my son had a full and the dog would only sleep with him. She blamed the twin bed. Ha.

She also just... wanted a "regular bed" like she claimed her friends had. The daybed seemed babyish to her I think, though she didn't say it that way.

But clearly, she fit and could have kept using it if we needed it her keep it. As it was, it sold in 10 minutes on craigslist and was out of the house in 30 minutes. Win win.

bisous
09-10-2017, 09:45 PM
My daughter mainly wanted a bigger bed because my son had a full and the dog would only sleep with him. She blamed the twin bed. Ha.

She also just... wanted a "regular bed" like she claimed her friends had. The daybed seemed babyish to her I think, though she didn't say it that way.

But clearly, she fit and could have kept using it if we needed it her keep it. As it was, it sold in 10 minutes on craigslist and was out of the house in 30 minutes. Win win.

OK thanks for explaining. That clearly worked out well for you.

I wonder if daybeds are considered babyish by many kids these days? When I was a teen I wanted a daybed. I turned a regular twin on its side and added big bolster pillows. It felt loungey, like a couch. It looked good with the corded phone on my nightstand that had its own private line. Together those elements made up my super cool room makeover 25 years ago, lol.

AvaEloise
09-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks for all the anecdotes - good to know that it breaks apart!
AvaEloise, one follow up question is whether you've used the trundle on carpet? From the reviews it seemed like maybe you need to raise it a bit if you want the trundle to slide smoothly?

We did use it on carpet and it wasn't a problem, but it was low pile carpet - might have been more of an issue if the carpet was "plusher"? I do agree with gymnbomb about pulling it in and out being a pain if you do it regularly (not rolling the trundle but arranging the mattresses). We only did it for guests, so maybe once a month and it was no big deal, but I definitely would not have wanted to do it frequently. As far as mattresses, you can choose any of their mattresses (or any other mattresses as long as they aren't too thick). We have had 3 different IKEA foam mattresses and have been really happy with all but one of them. Can't remember the specific names, but I can probably find it.

lalasmama
09-11-2017, 12:31 AM
I wonder if daybeds are considered babyish by many kids these days? When I was a teen I wanted a daybed. I turned a regular twin on its side and added big bolster pillows. It felt loungey, like a couch. It looked good with the corded phone on my nightstand that had its own private line. Together those elements made up my super cool room makeover 25 years ago, lol.

DD (13) chose a metal twin daybed maybe 2 years ago or so for her room remodel. Personally, I was wanting to do the Hemnes for her, but she didn't like the look of "a wood bed." (Dang it! Then I tried to talk DH into the Hemnes for the grandkids' room like 2 months later, extolling the virtues of the trundle, but he didn't like it either. Boo.) At any rate, she ended up with some new-fangled version of my 1990s white metal daybed, save for those impressive gold finials mine had. She thinks its a cool bed, and paired with the medusa-style lamp, a bean bag, and a bright teal wall, she feels like she has the bitchin' room... but that may not be the word the kids use nowadays ;-) So, some kids still think they are cool.