PDA

View Full Version : DS Sick...what could this be?

khalloc
09-11-2017, 02:27 PM
DS woke up last Wednesday and came downstairs and said he felt like he was going to puke. I took his temp, it was normal. We sent him to school. Coincidentally, DD also felt sick to her stomach the same morning, but went to school and was fine.

DS came home that night and was tired and not feeling well. Thursday he stayed home from school. Friday he stayed home from school. I expected him to be better over the weekend, but he was sick Sat and Sunday and today is Monday and he is still home sick. I did bring him to the doctors today.

So here are his symptoms -

Upset Stomach. he has puked a few times but never thrown up food. Just spit/gagging
Slight fever. Sometimes up to 101.5, but more often just 99.5-100.5
Very tired
Hives off and on on his face, torso, back of his knees. (he is prone to hives when sick)

With Tylenol he is much better. Still staying inside but playing, watching TV. Not complaining. Once the Tylenol wears off he is miserable. His lymph nodes on his neck are super swollen.

Doc did a strep test and it was negative. He has never had strep before. Ears were OK, Lungs sounded OK. He has mild cold-induced asthma and that hasnt really bothered him. He isnt eating much, but he is drinking alot of water. Doc said she thinks he will start feeling better in the next day or 2 and if he stays home from school Wednesday, she definitely wants to see him back. She thinks its just a virus. He's on 6 days of not feeling good. Anyone had a virus last this long?

TwoBees
09-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Mono? Lyme disease or a reaction to a spider/bug bite? Those are the only things I can think of. I hope he feels better soon! Poor kid. :(

Mikey0709
09-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Yup - we have had it last MANY days. Gotta love it when you get the general "virus" diagnosis.

My first thought was strep, since it's shared among siblings, and many times the quick test can be wrong. Just my opinion, if he doesn't improve I would definitely take him back, and possibly ask for another strep test or antibiotics.

squimp
09-11-2017, 03:18 PM
DD had strep when she had a low-level fever and felt like crap for days. My ped didn't even do the test. Abx cleared it right up. I'm not big on overuse of abx but sometimes you need them. She's been on them three times ever, including Lyme prophylaxis. I'd also consider Lyme.

khalloc
09-12-2017, 10:47 AM
So DS went to school today. He slept from 8:30-5:30am and woke up with stomach pain. He HAS been eating, but not alot. This morning he had a bowl of cheerios. Last night he ate some corn on the cob, a few pieces of steak and a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream.

He didnt have a fever last night or this morning and the last time I gave him Tylenol (not including this morning) was at 12:30pm yesterday.

I'm going to wait another day, but is there ANYTHING else we can be doing for stomach pain? If he doesn't get better tomorrow I will call the doctor back and ask to try antibiotics.

His friends mom said her son also has some sort of illness that involved a sore throat, stomach ache, head cold, nausea. he's getting better but the stomach ache is lingering.

I do not think he got a tick bite.

smilequeen
09-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately viruses can last. DS3 had something similar mid summer. He was down for a week. Of course, it was a week he was signed up for hockey camp...no refunds and he spent the week in bed instead. If you are going into your second week, I would follow up with the ped.