PDA

View Full Version : Why is 5 year old's hair crunchy?

bw52
09-13-2017, 03:26 PM
It started in the summer and I thought it was the pool. But now it's been a long time since she has swam and when she gets out of the shower it dries alll crunchy and hard. I tried rinsing out the shampoo more thinking maybe she wasn't getting it all out, but still the same results. We had it trimmed a month ago too to try and help.

Any suggestions? She has long hair that used to be beautiful and now it looks stringy and crunchy. I don't know why it's haooening and how to fix it. She uses the same shampoo as always. She uses kids tear free shampoos bc she still gets it in her eyes and it really bothers her.

mom2binsd
09-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I would try a clarifying treatment, look up something like Malibu clarifying treatments, it's fairly inexpensive but it might be enough to strip out any junk that it built up in her hair.

Philly Mom
09-13-2017, 03:33 PM
I would stop shampoo and just use conditioner for a while. Can be an inexpensive conditioner. Have her close her eyes and put a wash cloth over them when you rinse.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

pinkmomagain
09-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Definitely from the chlorine in the pool. You will need to get in there and help her with it. On the advice of a hairdresser, we will add a little dawn dishwashing soap to shampoo to really strip it and then do some kind of heavy conditioning treatment. May have to do this more than one time.

Thanks for reminding me that I really need to do this for my 11yo!

SnuggleBuggles
09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Wash sparingly. Too much shampooing can be damaging too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
09-14-2017, 04:35 AM
We use Malibu swim shampoo at least weekly after swim season. Also, our hairdresser recommended to DD and to me that we should use it's a 10 mask to nourish. I put in in all kids' hair when they feel crunchy and it restores it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk