PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about his BMI?

jgenie
09-13-2017, 04:22 PM
DS1 went in this summer for his 9 year check up. He was 9.5 at the time of his appointment. He has always been a small child. He's growing along his curve. I'm small as is DH so DC will most likely be small as well. These are his stats. His BMI concerns me but I'm not sure why. Should I be worried? DS1 is a very picky as I used to be as well. He really only eats pasta, bread, cheese, milk, fruit, pizza, hot dogs. Doesn't really like meat, pork, fish, chicken. TIA

22nd % for Height
49th % for weight
68th % for BMI

Simon
09-13-2017, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't worry at all, unless my kid took a huge jump off his own curve or if it was a new trend lasting several years. Lots of kids that age either gain weight before growing in height or else experience a weight gain before puberty. As I'm sure you know, its always worth working with picky eaters to increase the variety of foods they will eat. I'll admit I go through phases of being good about pushing my picky eaters and being too laid back. I wouldn't actually worry about his stats.

ged
09-13-2017, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't worry

JBaxter
09-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Nope. After Christmas those numbers could be reversed. My boys chunk up then grow taller all the way through teens.

mom_hanna
09-13-2017, 06:17 PM
I am not sure why they even bother with BMI to be honest. IT says nothing about how someone is built (stocky or slim, etc) or how much of their body is muscle vs. fat. My son is around the same BMI but he his built, and 100% muscle. He's a gymnast. His BMI doesn't say anything about that though! I would not be concerned at all. And he's only 9! Like pp said, a kids often chunk up before they grow, but even if that's not the case, those numbers don't even indicate chunky to me. At all.

jgenie
09-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I figured it was probably a weight gain before puberty. his doctor wasn't concerned but it has been in the back of my mind.

abh5e8
09-13-2017, 10:18 PM
How does it compare to previous bmi? Based on those numbers, I'd not worry. But trends are important with kids, so I would compare it to how he has been previously.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
09-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Both my kids are very slim for their age and have low BMI. Just make sure he is staying more or less on his own curve,. Although there will be growth spurts.
You could focus on adding healthy fats to his diet.

niccig
09-14-2017, 12:15 AM
How active is he? I'd concentrate on him being active, that's probably easier to change. Keep trying on the diet, but that's a longer term issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

georgiegirl
09-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Does he look overweight or normal or muscular? Is he very active?

DS1 (8) tends to have a BMI on the higher side. He's short and muscular. He has zero fat on his body, and I've gotten several comments about how "ripped" he is. He's a competitive swimmer, so he has a 6 pack already...lol. It's funny because several of the young swimmer boys are totally ripped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kindra178
09-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Below 85 is the goal. He's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

HannaAddict
09-14-2017, 10:17 AM
No, nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk