PDA

View Full Version : Ugghh Lice - what do I need to buy?

jgenie
09-14-2017, 11:05 AM
On my way to pick up my kids from school. I have the lice comb. What else do I need to buy? Is RIT the way to go? TIA

Dayzy
09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
You need a terminator comb, not just the regular lice comb. Also a good conditioner and some baking soda. We used a lice pro and she suggests Happyheads. This is a video she made on the best way to do a comb through and it worked. After the 3rd day of comb outs on all of us we had no more bugs or eggs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P86A7m4xlNY

Philly Mom
09-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Just went through this. Terminator comb and cheap conditioner. Lots of comb outs.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

♥ms.pacman♥
09-14-2017, 11:53 AM
:yeahthat: to both PP. terminator comb. Lots of conditioner...Suave is good bc it's cheap. Daily combouts for few days until u don't find any nits or bugs

AnnieW625
09-14-2017, 12:45 PM
I would get a comb, some Suave or other coconut shampoo and conditioner for use at home and go straight to a lice salon and have it removed professionally. My kids were way better behaved at the lice salon than when I did it at home. Our school also requires certification from a salon or lice service before returning to school. Not cheap, but definitely worth it and a bonus it was covered by my FSA.

We have also been using watered down So Cosy Boo Lice detangler (http://socozy.com/lice-spray.html) on a daily basis and it seems to be working well. I got it at Target in a two pack and it will last forever. It is very strong unwatered down so that is why we dilute it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
09-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Our school also requires certification from a salon or lice service before returning to school. Not cheap, but definitely worth it and a bonus it was covered by my FSA.

Really?? What happens for families who cant afford that? Dying to know where (what state) and whether public or private.

jgenie
09-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone! DH left to go out of town this morning so when I realized all the laundry and cleaning I was going to have to do today I booked appointments at the lice salon. I picked them up at 11:30 and I'm still doing laundry at 6:00. I need to vacuum my room and their rooms still. Uggghhh... Thanks for the tips!! I already had the terminator comb thanks to the BBB. I bought it when my kids started preschool in 2011 according to Amazon. The RID expired but I kept the comb.

twowhat?
09-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Terminator comb, for sure - there is a huge difference. We've been able to take care of lice on our own - we do use the chemicals (Nix) and do 2 treatments with that, following the directions on timing, and then we do conditioner comb-outs daily (lots of TV watched by the kids!). Have dealt with lice twice, both times completely resolved. The comb outs suck because they take so long and we do both kids. But it works.

We never vacuumed or washed anything:) Our pediatrician told us that it wasn't necessary, unless we just wanted to make ourselves feel better - lice don't want to be very far from a scalp and they just aren't going to hang out on a non-scalp surface for very long. And nits are firmly attached close to the scalp and have to be in order to hatch. They aren't going to fall off and re-attach themselves.

Dayzy
09-14-2017, 07:31 PM
As for laundry and vacuuming - I took the pillows and bedding and just did high heat in the dryer for 30 minutes. It's what the pediatrician and the lice lady told me. I vacuumed the couches and furniture and then put sheets on them for the kids to sit on. I could take the sheets off a couple of times a day and just stick them in the dyer also then back on the couches. Don't stress yourself too much. Doing the hair is the most important part.

american_mama
09-14-2017, 07:57 PM
I think this thread is one of the most succinct and practical pieces of lice advice. Combouts, cheap conditioner, expensive comb, don't go crazy with the laundry.... all correct. I bagged stuffed animals and washed all bedding (4 beds including hours) and that was kind of exhausting, but probably not necessary.

The one additional piece of info that might help others is you can get a prescription liquid treatment called Ovide or malathion. It is probably only necessary for an above-average lice situation. In my case, the nurse in my pediatrician office recommended it because we were on vacation, four of us had it, and my kids have extremely thick, curly, long biracial hair that is extremely hard to comb. Killing the lice fast and strong, and combing out with less urgency was better for us in that situation.

longamkl
09-23-2017, 02:42 PM
We've been going through this for the past couple of weeks and wish I'd know this a couple of weeks ago. We've done two treatments with the nasty chemical and I've combed through my daughter's hair but not 100% thoroughly. When I did comb, using the comb that came with the treatment, the tiny (nits?) would pass right through the comb! I used my fingers (ew!) but was more successful that way. In any case, they are still not gone. Can I get the Terminator comb at a place like Target? Do you just use the conditioner to keep the hair wet while combing?

jgenie
09-23-2017, 04:22 PM
We've been going through this for the past couple of weeks and wish I'd know this a couple of weeks ago. We've done two treatments with the nasty chemical and I've combed through my daughter's hair but not 100% thoroughly. When I did comb, using the comb that came with the treatment, the tiny (nits?) would pass right through the comb! I used my fingers (ew!) but was more successful that way. In any case, they are still not gone. Can I get the Terminator comb at a place like Target? Do you just use the conditioner to keep the hair wet while combing?

There is an alternate method using Cetaphil. I would do that to start. For comb outs I would order the Terminator comb from Amazon. I'm not sure you can find it at Target but maybe they do carry it. Dip the comb in baking soda to add more abrasion to the comb and really strip the strands. Good luck - it stinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

trales
09-23-2017, 09:51 PM
There is a great article in The Journal of Medical Entomology that explains why all the over the counter lice treatments like RID no longer work. The lice have a gene mutation that makes them resistant, and those lice have been found in all 50 states. It is only the comb outs and the 100% removal of the bugs and nits that works. The prescription shampoo with the strong pesticides in it still does work, but have to be used very carefully.

We had lice last year, DD has super thick, wavy, waste length hair. The comb outs took 4 hours each. It sucked, but we got them all.

HannaAddict
09-24-2017, 01:23 AM
If you have access to a pro, it is money well spent and huge time saver.

trcy
09-24-2017, 09:49 AM
If you have access to a pro, it is money well spent and huge time saver.

No BTDT, but this is what I have heard from many IRL that have.

doberbrat
09-24-2017, 11:15 AM

no I dont think its available at target - order it from amazon maybe whole foods has it now that they've been bought by Amazon?? To loosen the nits, pour apple cider vinegar on the hair and stick under a shower cap for 30-60 minutes. Then DOUSE the hair in conditioner. start combing. dont stop until there are no more nits. then repeat in about 3-5 days and again 7 days from the first day and weekly afterwards for 2-3 weeks.

Believe me, I know how painful it is. do it in the tub or outside watching movies on a portable player or eating popsicles. My own hair is nearly waist long super thick and extremely curly and I've done it on myself. A lice service is probably easier but if its not something you can manage, you can go the diy method just be slow and thorough.

twowhat?
09-24-2017, 12:15 PM
There is an alternate method using Cetaphil. I would do that to start. For comb outs I would order the Terminator comb from Amazon. I'm not sure you can find it at Target but maybe they do carry it. Dip the comb in baking soda to add more abrasion to the comb and really strip the strands. Good luck - it stinks!

I remember I got my Terminator comb from Ulta. I made sure I had it on hand before our first case of lice, thanks to these forums:) And yes, I compared it to the comb that comes with the lice kits and those are COMPLETELY USELESS. I am thinking I need to get a second one, that way DH can help with comb outs if it happens again!