PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fundraising ideas

MSWR0319
09-14-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm a board member on my son's swim team. We have done no fundraising activities for 4 years. We had a new President take over (along with a big change up of board members) and we have decided that we need to do fundraisers again. We're trying to come up with ideas that would be fairly profitable, as we're trying to raise money for new blocks. Can you share fundraiser that have succeeded well in your area? We're trying to come up with something not done often by all of the other area organizations and so far haven't come up with anything super great.

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Do you want an event or to sell stuff? Any preference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meggie t
09-14-2017, 01:59 PM
If an event, the biggest profit for least amount of work I've seen is bingo. It's fun, not too expensive, and there are serious bingo players in almost every community that travel for bingo! Two organizations that I know did it raised between $7-9k in one evening.

rlu
09-14-2017, 02:21 PM
The new big thing around here is hosting a Goodwill truck. You provide a space for the truck and have volunteers on hand to help people take the stuff from their car to the Goodwill truck. I have heard you can make up to $1500 but I think most make less than $1k as it is so popular now people don't have as much stuff to bring.

Goodwill does limit what they will accept at the trucks at these events (no furniture for example). Many people bring their e-waste as Goodwill takes it free of charge (whereas most places around here charge a fee to take e-waste).

Anyway, $500-$1000 in one day (although the coordination takes more time) is not bad.

MSWR0319
09-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Do you want an event or to sell stuff? Any preference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are open to anything.

We used to do Bingo I guess, but 501c3's are not allowed to do Bingo anymore I don't think.

georgiegirl
09-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Our swim team does an annual swim-a-thon as a fundraiser.

lizzywednesday
09-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Our big team fundraiser when I was a kid was Swim-a-Thon.

This site (http://livehealthy.chron.com/plan-swimathon-4348.html) explains how one would work.

essnce629
09-14-2017, 04:17 PM
My son's swim team did a swim-a-thon too.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

mmsmom
09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Our swim team did a raffle for a free membership this year. Team is part of a swim club so it was membership for next summer for a family of 4. Tickets were $25 each or 5 tickets for $100. Membership is usually $750. Team made around $2500. Sounds like your swim team is not part of the club so maybe the board could donate fees for a season for one child or whatever would be significant.

abh5e8
09-14-2017, 04:41 PM
SCRIPTS is awesome... Easy, no cost to the participants and generates great money. Our swim team uses it. You buy gift cards and a certain percent goes to your team. Chipotle is usually about 8-10%. So I buy a $100 gift card and $10 goes to my team. But I still have the whole $100 to spend. There are egiftcards or regular. 100s of companies to choose from. Disney is an easy one to earn lots. I use it for most all of my Christmas shopping. By far the best fundraiser ever.

teresah00
09-16-2017, 09:13 PM
My kids just made the swim team two weeks ago. At the parent meeting they said they host a Hawaiian themed invitational that is their big fundraiser.

Simon
09-17-2017, 03:51 PM
Our team sells food at home meets and does a swim-a-thon but we avoid that one. Whatever you decide, please, please, please offer a buy out option for families. I would always just rather give more $ and save the hassle.