PDA

View Full Version : Help me let our house cleaner go

hillview
09-14-2017, 05:20 PM
We love our housekeeper. We've had her for 8 years. We pay her a lot. We have to let her go due to finances (dh loooking for a job). What's a reasonable way to let her go. Thinking some sort of severance but not sure what to do. I'm super sad. I will likely cry when I tell her. I'm thinking it might be best to tell her tomorrow and have it also be her last day but please advise.

mikala
09-14-2017, 05:26 PM
How often does she come and how long does she work? I'd try to cover at least two weeks of work, especially since you aren't giving her advance notice of her last day. I would write a glowing reference letter. I would also offer to help send other business her way by referring friends and recommending her on social media. People are always asking for housekeeping recs on our NextDoor.

Good luck with DH's job search! So stressful.

hillview
09-14-2017, 06:36 PM
I could give her 2 weeks notice paid but not sure it's great to have someone in your house once fired although I totally totally trust her. She comes weekly. Maybe 2 weeks paid but not having to come in anymore?

niccig
09-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Under similar circumstances, I did 2 weeks paid and not come anymore.

TwinFoxes
09-14-2017, 06:48 PM
I could give her 2 weeks notice paid but not sure it's great to have someone in your house once fired although I totally totally trust her. She comes weekly. Maybe 2 weeks paid but not having to come in anymore?

I think that's what PP meant, tell her tomorrow is her last day, and then give her two additional weeks. It seems fair.

hillview
09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Ok. Think we will do 2 weeks. Glowing reference. I've gotten her 4 other jobs over the years. Sigh. Thanks all

niccig
09-14-2017, 08:26 PM
If you like her, and would hire her again once Dh gets work, you can let her know that. She may keep calling though, so up to you if you mention it or not.

hillview
09-14-2017, 08:28 PM
We will totally tell her we would hire her back. Sigh

ilfaith
09-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Would it be feasible to keep her on but cut her hours...perhaps just have her come once a month until DH finds work? If you are planing to give her two weeks severance, that same amount could go toward having her come clean for you for the next two months...and hopefully DH will find something by then or soon after. That way you can still maintain a business relationship with her. A good house cleaner shouldn't have too much trouble getting another gig...the only risk to you might be losing your time slot when you are ready to take her back on a weekly basis.

legaleagle
09-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Would it be feasible to keep her on but cut her hours...perhaps just have her come once a month until DH finds work? If you are planing to give her two weeks severance, that same amount could go toward having her come clean for you for the next two months...and hopefully DH will find something by then or soon after. That way you can still maintain a business relationship with her. A good house cleaner shouldn't have too much trouble getting another gig...the only risk to you might be losing your time slot when you are ready to take her back on a weekly basis.

That was my first thought as well.

jgenie
09-16-2017, 06:43 AM

I would try this if at all possible.

♥ms.pacman♥
09-16-2017, 09:33 AM

yes, this sounds like a good idea. maybe have her come every other week or 1x a month at first. if your dh finds something within a couple months, then you can go back to your regular schedule.

hugs to you. i can't imagine letting our housecleaner go and dealing with all that stress/uncertainty. it's already hard as it is juggling and keeping all the balls in the air!

AnnieW625
09-16-2017, 03:00 PM
We let ours go a few years back and I didn't even think to pay severance I just told her we had to let her go because of finances. I told her as soon our finances got better I would rehire her. She checked up with us a few times and then two months ago I called her up and asked if she had availability and she did. She only came 2-3 times a month for two years iirc so it isn't like 8 like you had. Hope things went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk