PDA

View Full Version : If you clean your own house and work out of house full time help

hillview
09-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Help me plan and organize for not having a housekeeper any more. I need a plan where people pitch in and we get it done. Hit me with your plan. Big white board? List of weekly chores by person? Help help. I can't be the one who does it all. I already feel like I am doing it all. :loveeyes:

SnuggleBuggles
09-14-2017, 07:29 PM
For a while, I had a successful routine. After dinner, we'd all work together. I'd give everyone a few specific tasks and then I'd set the timer for 15 minutes. I told everyone to pick any job that would make the house neater/cleaner/ nicer. The kids often found really helpful jobs that I might not have thought of. Total time- 20 minutes of work from all of us. The timer was very helpful because they knew it'd end and they could see how much longer.
ETA- we have no chore list. We just do chores based on highest need. I never know what's going to make me cringe. I can go weeks (or months) not noticing something then all of a sudden need it done ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig
09-14-2017, 07:36 PM
Following. We had a good plan where we sat and divided up the chores. The difficult part was staying on top of it every week. So now, we clean as we need to. Not a great way, but it's realistic. Lately, we've all been really tired, I think having DS start school at 7am has been a difficult adjustment, so we're not doing as much as we should.

Everyone picks up, should do it more often than we do.
I grocery shop and cook.
DH cleans kitchen after dinner, does the laundry on weekends.
Bathrooms - I'm going to do a deep clean in DS's bathroom, then have him clean it on weekends with me supervising. I clean our bathroom, we use a squeegee to wipe walls/glass every day
Floors - we got a roomba. I mop.
Dust - ha ha ha. Tends to be me and I don't do it enough
Trash - often DS, sometimes DH and I
Bedrooms - everyone does own. DS only does his room when we yell at him
Yard work - we have a gardener. We work on projects out in the yard as we need to.

The secret to a clean house seems to be to invite people over - then we clean up quickly.
I tend to be the cleaning manager telling DH and DS when need to do something extra. They don't see the mess/dirt. I'm trying for DS to be a better partner with household chores than DH is - his mother did everything.

bnme
09-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Stay on top of the important things. For me its bathrooms, kitchen, and clutter. I keep paper towels and spray cleaner in bathrooms and do quick wipe downs almost daily. If you keep it clean, it cuts down on time spent doing deeper cleans. In kitchen I focus on counters and sink. I also try to stay on top of the daily clutter and try to designate spots for everything. I do quick vacuums frequently, instead of the whole house or room thoroughly. You have to accept you have less time and aren't always going to do an A+ job every time. I find if that is my expectation I never get anything done.

KpbS
09-14-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't work out of the home, but my home has lots of opportunity for for cleaning! :p
I've tried to have the kids have set jobs they do daily, unload the dishwasher, load the dishwasher, wipe the table and counters, sweep the kitchen floor, and take out the trash. Also, my kids have come to accept folding the family's laundry and get that when 2/3 of us work on it, it goes much faster than when they do it alone (as punishment sometimes). :). Vacuuming, dusting, and bathrooms happens as needed. I don't have s schedule, just hit it when I can or when it really needed it. DC will be starting to help with those chores this year as well.

bigsis
09-18-2017, 08:31 PM
Stay on top of the important things. For me its bathrooms, kitchen, and clutter. I keep paper towels and spray cleaner in bathrooms and do quick wipe downs almost daily. If you keep it clean, it cuts down on time spent doing deeper cleans. In kitchen I focus on counters and sink. I also try to stay on top of the daily clutter and try to designate spots for everything. I do quick vacuums frequently, instead of the whole house or room thoroughly. You have to accept you have less time and aren't always going to do an A+ job every time. I find if that is my expectation I never get anything done.
ITA! The key to a clean house without having to spend so much time cleaning is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. I keep a rag by each sink. When I turn off the faucet, the counter gets a quick wipe down. Put things away as soon as you're done with it. It only takes seconds. My DH vacuums, dusts, and cleans the bathhrooms every two weeks, but other than that, there's not a lot of deep cleaning that happens in the house because it's really maintained.

The kids' rooms are another matter! :bag I have them clean it when I can't take it any more!! I mostly keep their doors closed. :)

ArizonaGirl
09-18-2017, 11:28 PM
ITA! The key to a clean house without having to spend so much time cleaning is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. I keep a rag by each sink. When I turn off the faucet, the counter gets a quick wipe down. Put things away as soon as you're done with it. It only takes seconds. My DH vacuums, dusts, and cleans the bathhrooms every two weeks, but other than that, there's not a lot of deep cleaning that happens in the house because it's really maintained.

The kids' rooms are another matter! :bag I have them clean it when I can't take it any more!! I mostly keep their doors closed. :)

I totally agree with all of this right down to my kids room :bag

We have a doodle so minimal shedding but some dirt.

We don't wear shoes in the house because it makes the floor so much dirtier much faster.

I dust and do the bathrooms every weekend and the floor gets vacuumed and mopped every other weekend. I do some spot vacuuming in between. The floor takes the longest since it is all tile, but I vacuum and DH mops.

abh5e8
09-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Everyone has assigned responsibilities. Dd4 can wipe down baseboards, cabinets and the piano. Ds2 unloads dishwasher and sweeps kitchen and dining room and cleans upstairs bathroom. Dd1 cleans downstairs bathroom and puts away dry dishes. They all fold and put away laundry. Ds3 picks up toys, washes mirror and front glass door. I vacuum and mop. My bathroom gets cleaned by kids as punishment, so it's the cleanest room in the house. Lol.