PDA

View Full Version : Is this aging?

bisous
09-15-2017, 07:57 AM
I'm starting to get insomnia. I don't have trouble falling asleep--I'm usually so exhausted that that comes easily. But now several hours into a long snooze I wake up just not feeling sleepy. I'm actually tired but I don't feel well. I don't have a fever. My blood sugar is normal (I test all the time, lol). I feel thirsty but drinking doesn't make my body feel RELAXED like it needs to to enjoy lying down and letting sleep take over.

I'm 41. Is this hormones or an aging thing? I'm not hot. Just not really comfortable. Hard to explain!

lil_acorn
09-15-2017, 08:28 AM
I want to know the answer too. I am also early 40s, normally sleep wonderfully and lately have been waking more in the middle of the night. I'm occasionally feeling hot at night...ugh

Pear
09-15-2017, 09:21 AM
43 now. 40-41 was when sleep started getting trickier for me. I often wake up in the middle of the night now. The situation is not helped by having a similarly aged male partner who is starting to experience the need to make nighttime excursions to the restroom.

IansMom
09-15-2017, 10:36 AM
This is me as well. I am also 41. I hope someone has the answer.

hillview
09-15-2017, 11:52 AM
me as well. yes it is a process I think.

klwa
09-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Crap. I hadn't even considered aging as to why that was starting to happen. I don't have it often, but much more frequently than I used to. (Last night, for example.) I've learned a few tricks to help myself get back to sleep, but some nights nothing helps. And, other than pregnancy, I've always just been able to sleep whenever, wherever. Oh, and 41 here, too.

pakin
09-15-2017, 01:06 PM
I've noticed that too. I'm over 45 and found a lot of things keep me awake these days. I'm very sensitive to caffeine. I can't drink tea/coffee or eat dark chocolate after 3 pm any more. Ugh.

Pakin

robinsmommy
09-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I think it is both hormones and aging. Old people in general tend to sleep less well, but I hear this complaint from a lot of women who are pre/peri-menoposal. Same age, same issue - though I have had it for a few years now.

There are sleep meds that are supposed to be more effective against the middle of the night wake-ups. I avoid them if I can, as I think most of them can cause other issues or be habit forming. But they can be useful if you really, really need a night of sleep during a bad run or have an event you must be well-rested for.

And yep, I have to watch the caffeine carefully. I think I process it more slowly. Alcohol, too. Or, perhaps, that they take longer to "hit", then come back with a vengeance.

mom2binsd
09-15-2017, 02:20 PM
I started getting hot flashes and then waking at night (not sweating luckily though) at age 49, I had not had a regular period for two years, definitely peri menopause. Anytime after 40 is apparently when it can start.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pennylane
09-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Totally an age thing ! I'm 47. Like you, I fall asleep quickly but then wake up about 4 hours into sleep and then never get into a deep sleep after that. My dr said this was very common in pre menopausal women . No issues with being hot though. If i really must get a good nights sleep now I have to take some type of sleep aid and that doesn't even do the trick all the time . It sucks .

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mackmama
09-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Exact same for me and I'm mid 40's. It's brutal!!! I fall asleep because exhausted and then wake like clockwork at 3am and watch the clock until 5am. I then usually fall asleep again until D.C. Wakes at 6am.

BDKmom
09-15-2017, 11:43 PM
I have similar issues at 42. Although, sometimes I have a problem even getting to sleep, especially if I have missed my "window." If I feel sleepy at 10:15, but finish up something and don't go to bed until 10:45, it might take an hour or two to fall asleep. Then I don't necessarily wake up on my own, but heaven forbid something wake me up, it may take hours to get back to sleep. My DD often wakes up around 4 am needing something (anything, typically it is just some excuse to see another person), and it may take me until 5:30 or 6 to get back to sleep, then the alarm goes off at 6:20.

I do find that if I get to sleep during my "window" when I first feel sleepy, I tend to sleep better and get back to sleep easier if something does wake me up.

Also, as pp have mentioned, I am much more sensitive to caffeine than I used to be. And I need the room at a cooler temperature to sleep well.

pastrygirl
09-15-2017, 11:44 PM
42 here and have always had some trouble sleeping, but it's definitely gotten worse. With 1mg or less of melatonin, I sleep great! A higher dose makes me wake in a fog.

Globetrotter
09-16-2017, 05:19 AM
I used to sleep through almost anything, but after 40 I started having trouble. When I was going through a very anxious period, it was awful.
I wake up at the slightest noise, and Im sensitive to caffeine, so I avoid it after 4. My goal is to get to bed by midnight, but I also have some bad habits and tend to nod off downstairs but get too lethargic to go up until later. Like today.. it's 2:16 and I was booking hotel reservations while nodding off!

bisous
09-16-2017, 10:27 AM
42 here and have always had some trouble sleeping, but it's definitely gotten worse. With 1mg or less of melatonin, I sleep great! A higher dose makes me wake in a fog.

I tried melatonin last night after reading this. It helped I think!

It sounds like this is affecting a lot of people. We gotta band together and figure out how to fix this.

For me, I think I happen to have a lot of things on my mind right now. I'm hoping I can get a handle on a few responsibilities that are weighing heavily on me. Then maybe if I just keep working on my sleep hygiene and using melatonin as needed?

mommytoalyssa
09-20-2017, 01:44 PM
I was having the same problem and it stopped once I started using Night Time by ProCaps sold on HSN. My friend recommended it to me when the melatonin I was using didn't work and I had four nights in a row where I was up most of the night after waking around 1:00. It was really affecting me during the day and making me anxious. I take one capsule a night but if I feel like I have a lot on my mind I take two. I think the bottle says to take 3 but I do not need this amount. It is a combination of several herbs and melatonin.