PDA

View Full Version : How often do you take your kids to nice restaurants?

AnnieW625
09-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Dh's 43rd birthday was on Wednesday and due to a hectic week we are going out to dinner this Saturday. I want to take DH and to the kids to a nicer restaurant vs. just the normal casual places we usually go to. We live in a very casual area, but the two places I am considering are mainly khakis (although non ripped jeans would be ok) with a polo, Hawaiian shirt or button down for DH, and a maxi or summer dress with a sweater for the girls and myself. I like to do this at least once or twice a year with just our family but we also go to my Grandma's country club a few times a year and it is the same dress code (less the denim option).

I grew up with a dad who worked in the food and beverage industry and my grandparents had a huge interest in the wine so my brother, sister and I were taken at least once a year to winery tours with winemaker/winery owner lunches, and client dinners at restaurants of my dad's clients at the client's insistence or if we went to work (usually one day during Xmas break so my mom could get stuff done and we each had a day) with him we would get a lunch at a client's restaurant (this ranged from fish tacos, department store restaurants, to sit down fancy Vietnamese, and in 7th grade when I made the honor roll for the first time my dad took just me to a fancy European restaurant in Sacramento) and I loved the experience and want my kids to have similar "nice" dining experiences. We may not have had a whole lot growing up but I treasure these times and I want to provide the same for my kids, but don't want them taking it for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
09-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Honestly, I'm not too big of a foodie, so truly nice restaurants aren't high on my list. At all. So, I can't think of any times I've taken my kids to something nicer than an Applebees.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Probably 3-6 times/ year.

hillview
09-15-2017, 01:11 PM
several times a year usually for a birthday

AnnieW625
09-15-2017, 01:28 PM
FWIW: neither DH nor I are foodies and our kids like Mexican, spaghetti, and regular American kid type foods, but even with those tight parameters I am all about showing them a nice dining experience and teaching them manners and such. DH and I save the more exotic sushi, Thai, etc. for our date nights. I also feel like a nice dinner out with kids (at least in my area because it is so casual) is becoming a rarity.

StantonHyde
09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
As rarely as possible. My kids don't like the food. For our anniversary this year, I wanted to take the kids to the restaurant where we got married/had our reception. I prepped them ahead of time--you won't like anything, so just eat the rolls. They actually both ordered steak and lobster. DS liked the lobster, DD loved the steak. It was a nice dinner. I never, ever went to nice dinners as a kid. We rarely ate out. But we knew not to act like idiots :-)

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2017, 03:19 PM
As rarely as possible. My kids don't like the food. For our anniversary this year, I wanted to take the kids to the restaurant where we got married/had our reception. I prepped them ahead of time--you won't like anything, so just eat the rolls. They actually both ordered steak and lobster. DS liked the lobster, DD loved the steak. It was a nice dinner. I never, ever went to nice dinners as a kid. We rarely ate out. But we knew not to act like idiots :-)

At many fancy restaurants, I've found that they are always willing to accommodate picky kiddos. We've been super happy and impressed with the level of service and their attempts to make our kiddos happy (should just say kiddo as the teen has always been a better, more adventurous eater :)) I just chat with the waiter.

georgiegirl
09-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Rarely to never. My younger two (8 and 4) aren't well behaved enough. DD (11) would love to go to fancy restaurants. But it would be strange if we just brought DD and not DSs.

belovedgandp
09-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Growing up Chili's was a rare "nice" night out.

With our kids we eat on par to Chili's about once a month. Nicer than that, DH and I may do once or twice a year. We have taken the kids to a Japanese steak house and they liked it, but only twice.

carolinacool
09-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Growing up Chili's was a rare "nice" night out.

With our kids we eat on par to Chili's about once a month. Nicer than that, DH and I may do once or twice a year. We have taken the kids to a Japanese steak house and they liked it, but only twice.

Pretty much the same here. (Down to twice at a Japanese steak house.)

Nicer restaurants are rarely in the budget for the two of us, much less a kid who would pick over his $20+ meal. No thanks.

ett
09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Rarely. DS2 is picky and has food allergies. DS1 is a growing teenage boy and has a large appetite. He could probably eat 2 entrees at a fancy restaurant and still be hungry!

mmsmom
09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
We take our kids to nice places several times a year. We were recently on vacation and had two nice dinners out. I am a foodie though and it is important to me that my kids have opportunities to experience different foods and practice manners. My kids always find something they will like on the menu though they are not very picky. I would say my kids enjoy it but would probably still prefer a casual place.

My parents took me to nice restaurants often as well. Restaurants though are becoming more casual in general so even nicer places do not have the white tablecloth atmosphere anymore.

anonomom
09-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Depending on your definition of "nice," maybe once or twice a year? They behave well, but it's just too expensive to take five people out to a fancy place often.

rlu
09-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Not too often at all. He's eaten at the formal dinner on a cruise (and we ate at the seated dining each night), some very nice meals at weddings, and MIL took us all to a nice restaurant in Monterey. There's probably been a few other instances but overall not too many. DS did well (and he was 5 on the cruise) on all these occassions.

DS shows great poise when needed. For example, due to DH illness DS ended up attending a formal tea party baby shower with me and shone with his snazzy fedora, suit and good manners. I was so proud.

TBH DS would appreciate fine dinning more than I do as he has a much more expanded palate than I.

mnj77
09-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Probably once a month to every other month for a family dinner. It's not uncommon to go somewhere nice just the three of us too. There is nowhere with a dress code here in the Pacific Northwest though - if DD had to wear a dress she would be resistant.

meggie t
09-15-2017, 04:50 PM
We take our children (7 and 4 yo) out to eat about twice a month - once every few months it is a "white tablecloth" type restaurant. Not necessarily super expensive, but a more formal atmosphere than our fave pizzeria or Mexican restaurant. My children have behaved well thus far regardless of restaurant type (knock on wood neither has ever had a tantrum in a restaurant - but I know that it happens) and we expect them to use their manners at all times, regardless of the scenery. Yes, there is always correction going on, but I think that will be for a long time to come! As for "dressing up", we dress more formally every Sunday for mass, so they are used to it.

SASM
09-15-2017, 05:15 PM
We rarely take our kids to "nice attire" restaurants. We really don't have the opportunity nor the desire. We DO take them to a lot of nicer restaurants with varying cuisine. Expanding their palates is so important to us...Thai, Vietnamese, seafood, steak, Indian, Mexican, Jamaican, vegetarian, paleo, etc...especially since we really cannot travel the way that we'd like with them at this time. They can "taste" the world. ��

I do agree though. I remember my few fancy restaurant outings as a child. They are special cherished memories BUT I remember the time with my family members more. DD2 would be all over fancy "suit jacket" restaurants. She's my sparkly kid. However, it's like pulling teeth to get DD1 to wear something other than a tee and soccer shorts to church on Sunday...and 14yoDS complains about everything. So, the "fancy" would be lost on 2/3 of them BUT they DO appreciate good yummy full-flavored unique food. We always work on the table etiquette and manners. Cannot wait for DD2 to start cotillion classes...she's all about the dresses and gloves!

KrisM
09-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Never. We rarely eat at restaurants. Usually the kids pick to go out on their birthday, so that is 3 times a year when we are at home. We eat out on vacations for at least some meals, but those are always casual as well. Otherwise we eat at home.

pinkmomagain
09-15-2017, 05:26 PM
My kids are much older now (well 2 are technically adults!) but they all have been going to nice restaurants since they were babies. We've always brought stuff to keep them entertained and they are generally good kids. My youngest is still a little picky but we can almost always find something on the menu to fit her needs. The upside is that it has allowed us to enjoy dining as a family activity and the downside is that our kids are now foodies too with demanding tastes!

mikala
09-15-2017, 05:36 PM
I have taken my kids to nice restaurants since they were babies and we eat out at least monthly, more often when traveling. I don't think we've done any dress code level restaurants but have done a variety of cuisines and settings. I enjoy good food and make it a point to at least expose my kids to different cuisines and teach them how to behave in restaurants.

I usually take along activity books like dot to dots or stickers on case we end up with long waits.

When we go to nicer restaurants we try to eat early because our kids are usually happiest then, we can be seated quickly and it's less stressful for all.

JBaxter
09-15-2017, 05:45 PM
We tend to avoid places with table cloths We eat out a lot because we have a lot of great places here in Sarasota but most are casual.

gatorsmom
09-15-2017, 05:46 PM
I have taken my kids to nice restaurants since they were babies and we eat out at least monthly, more often when traveling. I don't think we've done any dress code level restaurants but have done a variety of cuisines and settings. I enjoy good food and make it a point to at least expose my kids to different cuisines and teach them how to behave in restaurants.

When we go to nicer restaurants we try to eat early because our kids are usually happiest then, we can be seated quickly and it's less stressful for all.

This is us. Dh loves to eat out and takes the kids with him even to sit-down restaurants on days when they are out running errands. Sometimes that's the sushi bar, sometimes hibachi restaurant. We often take the kids to brunch or dinner on Sundays at places where you wouldn't expect to see shorts.

123LuckyMom
09-15-2017, 05:49 PM
We eat out regularly but don't often go anywhere with a dress code unless it's for a special occasion, so maybe two or three times a year if that. We do regularly go to restaurants where jeans wouldn't be appropriate attire, but they don't officially have a dress code. Both my kids are happy to eat steak or grilled chicken. I've never been to a white tablecloth type restaurant that wasn't willing to provide something like that. We also bring our kids to ethnic restaurants and can struggle a bit sometimes to find them something, but we like to expose them to different atmospheres and cuisines. Honestly, my kids are far more likely to be adventurous (and well behaved) in a "special treat" type of restaurant. They'll always eat their veggies at hibachi (not fancy but a fun treat) or a dress up place in NYC before an event, but they rarely will at the local diner. They've tried amuse bouche at upscale restaurants without blinking whereas at home all food must be dissected for signs of a stray herb. It makes me crazy and gives me hope at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
09-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Extremely rarely. It is outside of our budget AND my children behave terribly at family dinner and friends' homes let alone in public in a restaurant. We're working on all the above. Let's just say that when our dear friend treated us to dinner at the Carnation Cafe at Disneyland my 5yo was amazed that they could sit there and have people bring food to them!

jgenie
09-15-2017, 07:01 PM
My kids are much older now (well 2 are technically adults!) but they all have been going to nice restaurants since they were babies. We've always brought stuff to keep them entertained and they are generally good kids. My youngest is still a little picky but we can almost always find something on the menu to fit her needs. The upside is that it has allowed us to enjoy dining as a family activity and the downside is that our kids are now foodies too with demanding tastes!

We're very similar to this. We eat out a lot and have always taken our kids to all kinds of restaurants. When they were really little I preferred lunch instead of dinner because the other diners were much more forgiving of kid activity. They are bigger now and it is so much easier. DS2 is reading well on his own now and is content to read his book before and after eating. When we were traveling this summer they were often the only kids in the restaurants but they were great. They don't like getting dressed up though. We live just outside of NYC and generally I try to have them dress up for the theatre but they hate it and didn't want to go so I stopped insisting. They wear a soccer jersey and a pair of chinos and I call it good. I would rather go as a family and enjoy it than fight about clothes before we leave the house and have it ruin our day.

niccig
09-15-2017, 07:45 PM
We eat out a lot and DS is a foodie. We tend to go for casual dining, but good food. We do go to fancy restaurants with him. DS is 12 and can eat more than I do, and he wants steak or crab legs.

smilequeen
09-15-2017, 08:07 PM
It depends on what you would consider a nice restaurant, but probably once a month/every other month. My older two have pretty sophisticated tastes, so I'd honestly take them often if I could go without my picky youngest...but since it's typically all of us. We were able to book the younger two a kids' night out on vacation over Labor Day and took just DS1 to a very nice restaurant (coat and tie steakhouse). It was such a nice experience, but it's rare we would get that chance, so we reserve most of our nice dinners for date night.

bisous
09-15-2017, 08:10 PM
We eat out a lot and DS is a foodie. We tend to go for casual dining, but good food. We do go to fancy restaurants with him. DS is 12 and can eat more than I do, and he wants steak or crab legs.

Knowing your area a little bit I know exactly what you mean about casual but good! DH raves about the meals out he gets with coworkers all the time.

PZMommy
09-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Does Denny's on kids eat free night count as a nice restaurant?? lol. Going out to a nice restaurant is not in our budget. We have no family around to babysit, so we rarely go out. My boys are fairly well behaved at restaurants and in public. They save their best meltdowns for home.

mackmama
09-15-2017, 11:08 PM
I'd say at least once per week, and DC is 6yo.

squimp
09-16-2017, 12:31 PM
We have an only so she is pretty used to getting taken to all the places DH and I like to eat. We eat out at least once a week but a fancy or nice restaurant would be once a month or less. I think any place where you sit down and order is kinda fancy. ��

MontrealMum
09-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Averaged out, maybe once a month? DS loves sushi and for the really good restaurants here that means "fancy".