PDA

View Full Version : Advice for dealing with sensitive 3 year old?

gymnbomb
09-16-2017, 07:17 AM
My 3 year old son fell and skinned his knees yesterday which resulted in a massive meltdown. That was not much of a surprise, but today he is still being extremely whiny, crying, and insisting he cannot stand up and we need to carry him everywhere. OMG I cannot deal with this! I am sure it hurts, but how can I get him to tone down to a more reasonable reaction level/duration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
09-16-2017, 07:29 AM
I would have treated it appropriately (bandaids, hugs, kisses, cuddles) and then moved on. If he whined today, i would have expressed sympathy but that's it. I wouldn't describe this as "sensitive" so much as attention seeking. He's three it's totally age appropriate, he's doing nothing wrong. But I don't think you should encourage the behavior (please tell me you're not actually carrying him around.) Trust me, I was the youngest and would try to milk situations like this too.

JBaxter
09-16-2017, 08:14 AM
I hug kiss clean and Band-Aid things like that. Then an OK your boo boo is getting better crying makes it worse now go sit and rest. Come get me if the blood runs out from under your bandage. Park him on a chair/sofa turn on a show or let him have tablet time then walk away. I found music was a great blocker of hid whining ( head phones) and look busy. My 3rd was the whiner I use the suck it up butter cup phrase a lot.

gymnbomb
09-16-2017, 08:18 AM
I let him ride in the baby's stroller back to the car after he crashed, but haven't carried him around since. I gave him hugs, cleaned his knees and put in bandaids, then told him I knew it hurt but he was really fine. But that didn't seem to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
09-16-2017, 10:06 AM
Didn't you just have a baby? I'm guessing this is much more related to that than his fall. I'd try to give him lots of positive attention today, maybe a mommy or daddy date somewhere without baby or a family trip where you try to give him full attention from one parent for a bit. Gently work into conversation how much fun it is to do things with a big boy.

mom2binsd
09-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Didn't you just have a baby? I'm guessing this is much more related to that than his fall. I'd try to give him lots of positive attention today, maybe a mommy or daddy date somewhere without baby or a family trip where you try to give him full attention from one parent for a bit. Gently work into conversation how much fun it is to do things with a big boy.

Yes this, OP just had a baby last month, I think this is totally him reacting to the fact that he is realizing the baby is staying put and he needs to figure out how to regain some of the attention. Totally normal, but still not much fun.

Simon
09-16-2017, 10:58 AM
ITA about the new baby and attention seeking. I always indulged as much as I could tolerate and look for distractions when I needed a break.
In general, for my sensitive kid, I couldn't just cut tell him to "shake it off" about being hurt or it would drag on forever. I found he did much better if I was over the top attentive and concerned because then he could take the stance of "Mom, I'm fine. its not that big a deal," as if he was calming me down. If I was too low key about it then he put his energy into "I'm hurt. Its a very.big.deal. Help me. Look at me" and the scene lasted much longer.

basil
09-16-2017, 12:12 PM
My 3 yo didn't walk for 48 hours after skinning her knees. Literally didn't take a step. Her dad carried her around....