PDA

View Full Version : No. Cal restaurant suggestions needed

PunkyBoo
09-18-2017, 06:26 PM
We are driving up to northern California this weekend, from southern cal. We will need to be eating dinner (DH, me and our kids, ages 8 and 13) somewhere between Berkeley and Livermore, preferably not far off the freeway. We all like most types of food, no real pickiness, not crazy expensive, but good value (if the price is high, I'd want it to be worth it for the food and service). Must be casual (we'll be in jeans and sneakers), not opposed to chain restaurants if it's good, and preferably not a crazy long wait on a Saturday night... Anyone have any suggestions, please??

smiles33
09-18-2017, 08:07 PM
That is a REALLY broad set of parameters. Are you driving from Livermore to Berkeley so you're talking about the 580 freeway? My kid are 8 and 11 and we live in the East Bay. Many of the smaller cities along 580 will have chain restaurants and tiny ethnic hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If you wait until you get to Berkeley, there are more upscale places (but then you might want to be "dressy casual" as opposed to super casual). We rarely get up to Berkeley so I'll offer tips for places south/southeast of Berkeley.

We prefer to avoid chain restaurants and only go to casual attire restaurants (meaning jeans/shorts/sneakers are acceptable). Some good options are in this Chowhound thread I started years ago:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/overlooked-fremont-union-city-newark-corridor-994075

Yokohama Iekei is a really great ramen shop in Union City, near 880, but if you don't get there right at opening (5:30?), it can be an hour-long wait as it's super popular.

Note that Fremont/Union City/Newark (FUN) are all closer to the 880 freeway, not 580. You may want to consider Dublin, Pleasanton, Castro Valley, Hayward, and San Leandro, which are closer to 580 (if you are driving from Livermore to Berkeley or vice versa).

In Pleasanton, we like Lokanta (pricier and a bit more "hipster"), Oasis Grill (more upscale and pricey, but they have cocktails for the adults!), and Nonni's Bistro. We don't know Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley, Dublin, or Livermore very well. We've only been to some chains there (e.g., Nation's is an East Bay burger chain that has great pies and burgers).

Hope this helps. Have fun!

PunkyBoo
09-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Thanks, smiles! We'll be driving from Berkeley to Los Banos that afternoon/ evening, so I want to make sure we eat before we get too far into the rural area, but we'll be leaving Berkeley a little earlier than we usually eat. I just want to know what our options are since we're unfamiliar with the area and we'll be tired. I'll check out your suggestions!

pharmjenn
09-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Pleasanton has Eddie Papas which is fun and has popcorn for appetizers. Livermore has a Strings Pasta which is decent. Lots of good places downtown Livermore, about 5 min off the freeway. A good chain of Mexican, Casa Orozco (I think there is another in Dublin also) Also, Black Angus in Dublin/Pleasanton

Globetrotter
09-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Dublin is on the way and there is a big shopping center called Hacienda crossing that is right off 580 after the 680 junction. There is an IMAX movie theatre there, for reference. In that shopping center there is a fun, kid friendly place called the Red tractor Café. There's also an On the border. Both Would be good choices, I think. I've heard Lazy dog is family friendly, but I have never been there. The Thai place is good and there's a pizza place that I have never been to.
http://www.hacienda-crossings.com/restaurants.html

Nearby, there is a shopping center with whole foods and Nordstrom rack. In that there is an Urban plates. It's something a little different. You can choose salads or main courses, soups etc. I feel it is less kid friendly but still doable because there are Some sides that could work.

Another option is Stoneridge mall in Pleasanton. This is near the 580/680 junction. Inside there is a cheesecake factory (can get crowded), California pizza kitchen and PF Changs. These are mostly casual chain restaurants that I'm referring you to.

Downtown Pleasanton is slightly out-of-the-way, but there are a lot of great local restaurants there. Lokanta, Nonnis's Bistro and New York pizza are favorites.
It's also a nice place to hang out.

AnnieW625
09-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Pleasanton has Eddie Papas which is fun and has popcorn for appetizers. Livermore has a Strings Pasta which is decent. Lots of good places downtown Livermore, about 5 min off the freeway. A good chain of Mexican, Casa Orozco (I think there is another in Dublin also) Also, Black Angus in Dublin/Pleasanton

When DH lived in Livermore in the early 2000s we ate at Casa Orozco and it was good. I used to eat at Strings in Sacramento when I was a kid. I haven't eaten there in 10 years or so but it was always kind of hit or miss and I prefer hole in the wall Italian.

When we were last in the area I found a hole in the wall Mexican cantina in Pleasanton on Yelp, Fiesta Taco and it was really good and the portions were large. It is very casual so you could wear shorts and tee shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurksalot
09-19-2017, 10:00 PM
I am pretty sure this is where I stopped with friends on the way to San Francisco many years ago. It is an international public market, lots of different food options. The pad thai was amazing. It is in Emeryville and would be very casual and offer a lot of variety for everyone.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/public-market-emeryville-emeryville

citymama
09-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Berkeley/Oakland are going to have some of the best food options in this area. So much GREAT food here. Here are some particularly good places not far off the freeway (80) - if you like Indian, then Vik's Chaat House on 4th St is amazing, for Mexican, Picante's on 6th St. Off 580, I suggest any of the amazing places in Temescal - Burma Superstar is one of the best restaurants in the area, Pizzaiolo is just silly good pizza - here's a list of Temescal dining options: https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-temescal-restaurants-bars-oakland