PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with experience setting up Chromebook parental controls?

Dream
09-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Please help. We're gifting my 9 year old a Chromebook and I want to set up parental controls before I let her use it. I know the first user is the owner so I've set up an account for myself. I've also turned off guest browsing.

I haven't been able to figure out how to set up login with just a user name and not an email. Does anyone know how I can change to login using a username?

I opened a Gmail for DD only because I couldn't set up another user login without an email. I'll rather not have to let her know that she has an email. So its important I figure out how to setup the chromebook to login with a username.

I thought I added DD as a supervised user. But when I go to the chrome dashboard through www.chrome.com/manage it says I'm not monitoring any supervised users. And I didn't get an email confirmation when I setup the supervised user too so I guess it never happened.

My email is hotmail. Could this be the reason why its not working properly?

If anyone BTDT or with the knowledge of Chromebooks please advice. I want to set this up before Thursday.

Thank you

sariana
09-19-2017, 10:35 AM
AFAIK, every user needs a Gmail account. When school districts use them, they set up "pass-through" Gmail accounts with a district email format. So the students never see "@gmail.com," but it still is a Gmail account in the background.

I do not know of any way to set up a personal user account using only a user name, only Enterprise accounts. Does her school use Chromebooks? If so, she should be able to use her school account at home.

citymama
09-19-2017, 01:31 PM
I think you need to set it up with a gmail account - I created a new one for this purpose. And yes, she will need to log in with her gmail account. Does their school give them email accounts? My DD uses her school email account which has serious parental controls built in.

Dream
09-19-2017, 01:50 PM
I believe they use Chromebooks in school because their supply list said ear buds for chromebooks and ipads but I don't think they'er set up yet as I didn't receive any info from the school.

I guess I'll have to accept the email login. Any idea how to set up supervised users?

JBaxter
09-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Did you check youtube for tutorials?

sariana
09-19-2017, 03:52 PM
I believe they use Chromebooks in school because their supply list said ear buds for chromebooks and ipads but I don't think they'er set up yet as I didn't receive any info from the school.

I guess I'll have to accept the email login. Any idea how to set up supervised users?
I don't know if ever received info from the school, but my kids know how to log into their accounts! And yes, schools have pretty tight restrictions. Ask your DD if she has s login that she uses at school. Again, it likely will not contain "@gmail" but probably will have some form of a district extension. Ours are .org but many are .edu or .k12 or other endings. Depending on how the district has it set up, it may not have an "@" ending at all. But she still should be able to use it at home. It will be on your family wi-fi, but it will have most of the district's controls on it.

Talk to her teacher if your DD doesn't know. Or contact the tech services dept at your district.

Dream
09-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Did you check youtube for tutorials?

Thank you for the suggestion, I did figure it out while watching a youtube tutorial. It was right there but I just didn't see it before the tutorial.

So now the login screen shows 2 users, myself and my DD, and it only show the name, not an email address. When I input her pw it lets her log in so she doesn't need to know about an email address. So I'm good with this for now. I also turned on safe search on chrome.