PDA

View Full Version : Spanish homeschool curriculum?

theriviera
09-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I have a great nanny that was teacher in her home country. I was thinking she could teach my 6 & 8 year old Spanish. I'm hoping for a curriculum for some structure. My kids want to go to a local Spanish class but that is crazy when we have someone at home :). Plus they can practice together.

Can anyone recommend a great curriculum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rin
10-31-2017, 12:10 AM
Not a formal curriculum, but I would ask just talk with your nanny about whether she can schedule 'Spanish time' with the kids. If she feels silly, I'd start with picking a few phrases, and each week working a few more in. In addition to that, I'd look for simple videos on YouTube that teach things like numbers/colors etc, and start checking out Spanish language kids books from the local library. We do a lot of watching movies/short kids shows, reading books that are typically a bit 'young' for them so simpler language, and definitely finding fun songs! My kids love singing, and we've put together some song lists that we play on car rides; they've memorized pretty much everything on the song list.

I believe Sesame Street usually records dedicated Spanish language version, Peppa Pig is also nice. Both are definitely for younger kids obviously, but in our experience younger-aimed material is often a bit less intimidating for kids.

Ultimately the best thing will be if she can just talk to them as much as possible! If she starts simple (i.e. a few phrases a week) and keeps it fun they should be able to pick things up.