PDA

View Full Version : Just curious would you like this or not? UPDATE

bisous
09-21-2017, 03:19 PM
I just got a request from the Kindergarten that parents will now take turns bringing snack for the whole class for a week, two times during the year. It has to be "healthy" and "allergy free".

How would you feel about that? Would you like it?

This is very different than how we normally operate.

See UPDATE in post 42.

Indianamom2
09-21-2017, 03:26 PM
I've done that. In fact, this is the first year, I don't have to. It's fine with me.

georgiegirl
09-21-2017, 03:31 PM
In our district, snack is communal in kindergarten (or at least it was 3 years ago). It's on a daily rotating basis, so generally about once a month. Everything has to be prepackaged and nut-free. Most people brought stuff like string cheese, pretzels, goldfish, cheezits, veggie straws, yogurt sticks, fruit snacks, etc. (they have refrigerator access). It was fine for my older kids, but DS2 (who will be in K next year) would hate it since he's very picky and wouldn't eat cheese.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PZMommy
09-21-2017, 03:32 PM
I would not want to have to provide a snack for an entire class for an entire week. I rather do once per month. I’m on a tight budget, and an entire week of snacks for a classroom could get quite pricey.

niccig
09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Nope. Kids take own snack to school. People don't agree on what's healthy, kids are picky, people forget etc. Easier to have everyone bring own snack.

connor_mommy
09-21-2017, 03:37 PM
Everyone brings their own snack at our school. This way parents can't complain on what you are providing for their child and no need to worry about kids who have allergies or just picky.

khm
09-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Different teachers handled it differently when mine were young. Some had a snack bag that the kid showed up at home with when you were expected to bring the next day's snacks. Hated that because it was always a scramble to get something last second. Some had you send a week's worth of snacks, for your kid only, every Monday. Some had a calendar they sent home and you sent in for the whole class once per month. Some teachers just didn't do it, seems like 2nd grade I think. I remember being surprised. We were back at it the next year though.

I always preferred feeding only my own kid. I knew what they liked, I knew it'd be eaten - even if it was the same thing over and over and over. I didn't have to worry about getting "creative" or "something new", as moms seem to do when other people's kids are involved.

I really wouldn't like your setup because that is a LOT at one time, but I'd grumble and do it, and be glad when it at least was not my turn for a long stretch!

babyonway
09-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Everyone brings their own snack at our school. This way parents can't complain on what you are providing for their child and no need to worry about kids who have allergies or just picky.

:yeahthat:

ourbabygirl
09-21-2017, 03:46 PM
I wish they would have kids take their own snacks for K in our school, but they do the communal thing. So we had to send in a snack for the class once a month. I always sent in a fruit and something like string cheese, but the kids got a ton of Goldfish, cookies, and fruit snacks from other parents. Not my favorite, but for a year it won't kill them. :) But a week at a time seems like a bit much.

KrisM
09-21-2017, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't like it. Too many different ideas of "healthy" and too many picky eaters. What if someone sends grapes and pretzels and my kid likes neither? He just goes hungry?

chottumommy
09-21-2017, 03:56 PM
We have communal snack for K too. Typically teacher calls out and gives suggestions of acceptable snack. I send in twice a month. Its typical kid snacks - gold fish, fruit, cheese, crackers. I also have a couple of snacks in the kids backpacks just in case there is something they don't like or they get extra hungry. Two weeks a year would be better for me instead of couple of times a month. There are kids who can't afford a snack or ever get to eat a healthy snack and this is a good way to make sure no-one goes hungry.

bisous
09-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it would be a week at a time. It has to be all prepackaged and allergy free. So grapes wouldn't be allowed. Healthy is of course a good thing but is extremely subjective as you all said. This is new for me and I'm grumbling about it. It was weird too because I received a piece of paper from another mom at pickup, and not a word from the teacher. I think it might be due to having a child with allergies in my class and so I'm trying to be understanding. (And honestly I'm feeling ultra guilty because this morning at the last minute I swapped out a different snack for DS3 because he didn't want what I had planned on. And it says "may contain peanuts" and I didn't even THINK about this this morning even though I have made a real effort to avoid peanut containing snacks for this year. It makes me feel bad to think that I might be the reason for this new policy, that I don't care for very much!)

♥ms.pacman♥
09-21-2017, 04:03 PM
so not a big deal!
we did this for Kinder with both kids. though in our case it was once a month for one day (20 kids in the class, so it worked out). the only annoying thing was keeping track on what day each month was our turn. doing every day for a week twice a year would have probably been easier to remember!

we typically just got packs of goldfish or Annie's bunnies from Costco and that was that. i've had 2 kids go through this and the type of snack they got from others was never an issue... and my dd can be picky. the rules were no nuts, store-bought and has to be shelf-stable, so i think it's pretty safe for most kids' tastes :) most people brought packs of pretzels, goldfish, or crackers. One time my DS was excited to bring bags of SkinnyPop :) Teachers typically had "backup" snacks in case a kid really didn't like something. We are in TX, so no risk of anyone bringing anything weird in (LOL). You were allowed to bring & consume your own snack from home if you had special dietary needs, so it wasn't a big issue.

in upper grades all kids bring their own snack, so both kids have to remember to bring their snack each morning. they occasionally have forgotten to do so and get upset but it wasn't the end of the world. it has pluses and minuses..the cool thing about having communal snack is that it was different each time and they often looked forward to what other kids would bring, and they got a chance to bring something too :)

eta: i re-read the OP. i think "allergy-free" is extremely vague wording and i'd ask for clarification. around here, the requests are no nuts, and that's it. i think that's easy enough to follow (goldfish, pretzels lots of other crackers that would fit the bill)..but "allergy-free" seems like it include dairy or other allergies, which would then make it REALLY hard.

also, re: "healthy" label...i took it to mean no sweets like Oreos , Twinkies and the like. I think goldfish, pretzels,crackers would fall in OK category.

Pear
09-21-2017, 04:06 PM
I was happiest when we just sent in a daily snack for our kid and the teacher had a stash of backup snacks for kids who needed a them. She would just have parents send in extras when her supplies ran low.

With a picky eater, communal snacks often meant a hungry kid.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2017, 04:09 PM
I'd be fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't be a fan. We had communal snacks for one of my children in preschool and the quality of the foods varied really widely and tended to contain lots of really processed foods. I'm fine with occasional treats but my kid doesn't need a daily Rice Krispy treat with a fruit roll up and juice box. Some days were nutritionally fine, other days I'd pick up a kid bouncing on a ridiculous sugar high.

bisous
09-21-2017, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't be a fan. We had communal snacks for one of my children in preschool and the quality of the foods varied really widely and tended to contain lots of really processed foods. I'm fine with occasional treats but my kid doesn't need a daily Rice Krispy treat with a fruit roll up and juice box. Some days were nutritionally fine, other days I'd pick up a kid bouncing on a ridiculous sugar high.

Yeah, it is so funny because food is so subjective. I wouldn't love the meal you listed above, yet I did send a Fiber One bar that's pretty much a chocolate granola bar today in DS3's lunch and I'm sure that wouldn't fly with some people.

On the whole it is probably easier to just have two weeks out of a YEAR to bring snack. If this is the way it is going to be than I'll just roll with it.

I'm honestly trying to figure out why I'm so annoyed? Is it just that it is different than prior years?

Ms B
09-21-2017, 04:25 PM
We have a rotating list with more or less the same restrictions - tree nut and peanut free, prepackaged unless it is fruit (e.g. Cuties, bananas, apples), preferably in individual portions or delivered with something to portion with (e.g. Dixie cups to put apple slices, grapes, or Pirate Booty in), and "relatively" healthy.

There are 17 kids in the class and I send enough portions for 20 (so that there are snacks for the teacher and the aide, plus an extra for the "backup" cabinet that I know the teacher keeps).

Last time we had short notice (we were first), so we did Babybel cheeses and individually packaged apple slices. We are up again next week and I already have more Babybels and fruit leathers ready to go. I may do frozen yogurt sticks with grapes next time (there is freezer space if you let the teacher know ahead of time). I am finding that Costco is perfect for this kind of thing.

It's a pain, but just a regular part of kindy around here.

essnce629
09-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Nope. Kids take own snack to school. People don't agree on what's healthy, kids are picky, people forget etc. Easier to have everyone bring own snack.This is what I'd prefer! I also hate providing snacks for soccer, basketball, etc! I'm kinda anti snack lol! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

lalasmama
09-21-2017, 04:30 PM
I'd hate it. But with an slightly more uncommon food issue (no artificial dues), I would hate it for the anxiety it would cause me. I once had a mom shocked when I took an M&M cookie away from my DD; the mom had no idea that M&Ms had artificial colors in it, and argued with me about it!... So, I'd be afraid of another parent missing that.

bisous
09-21-2017, 04:34 PM
I'd hate it. But with an slightly more uncommon food issue (no artificial dues), I would hate it for the anxiety it would cause me. I once had a mom shocked when I took an M&M cookie away from my DD; the mom had no idea that M&Ms had artificial colors in it, and argued with me about it!... So, I'd be afraid of another parent missing that.

Oh yeah, we avoid food dyes too come to think of it. For the most part anyway. I feel like now it is so much easier to find dye free foods than it used to be. But here are whole categories of food where it IS difficult.

DualvansMommy
09-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Last year with DS1 in kindy was a rotating schedule of snacks. Since it was a small class the parents signed up for a week at a time and in between no parents snacks the school provided daily slacks. This year for his 1st grade, because lunch isn’t till 12:45pm that parents were asked to send daily snack for their own child only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrisM
09-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I'd still not be a fan. Having to have prepackaged is harder for sure. My kids usually bring fruit and maybe something else. Plus, buying things in single serving size is much more expensive than buying a large box. i buy a big bag of pretzels for $2.50 and put it into containers and it lasts me a week for all 3 kids together. I could buy 8 single servings for $3.50, so sending in a class worth would cost $10/day!

lizzywednesday
09-21-2017, 05:14 PM
A whole-class snack for a week would break me and I would write a firm but very displeased note in response. I'll happily buy the brand-name pencils and crayons and scissors and glue sticks, but providing food? Not on your life.

Forget figuring out what 20-odd 5- and 6-year-olds would eat that also classifies as "healthy" (to whom?) ... where am I going to STORE a week's worth of snacks for 20-odd kids? I can barely store two weeks' worth for my own child!

chottumommy
09-21-2017, 05:15 PM
We send in whole big costco size packages and the teachers pour them out in dixie size cups. So they don't require single serving.

MontrealMum
09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
Nope. Kids take own snack to school. People don't agree on what's healthy, kids are picky, people forget etc. Easier to have everyone bring own snack.

I wouldn't like it. Too many different ideas of "healthy" and too many picky eaters. What if someone sends grapes and pretzels and my kid likes neither? He just goes hungry?

:yeahthat: I would not be happy about that at all for the reasons above. Also, if these snacks all have to be prepackaged, you're suddenly responsible for creating/supporting a lot of non-recyclable waste. That might not matter to some people, and that's fine, but that's not how we roll as a family.

bisous
09-21-2017, 05:30 PM
:yeahthat: I would not be happy about that at all for the reasons above. Also, if these snacks all have to be prepackaged, you're suddenly responsible for creating/supporting a lot of non-recyclable waste. That might not matter to some people, and that's fine, but that's not how we roll as a family.

Hmm. That's very true. Maybe I can send in a large package of something that can be apportioned out. Otherwise you are right that creates A LOT more waste.

TwinFoxes
09-21-2017, 05:35 PM
We did this in preschool (it was a co-op) but not in elementary. My issue is, we have full day kindergarten. If my (persnickety) kid doesn't like the snack, that's a long time to go with no food. I think it will cause a lot of behavioral issues...who needs a class of hangry 6 year olds?

KrisM
09-21-2017, 05:42 PM
We did this in preschool (it was a co-op) but not in elementary. My issue is, we have full day kindergarten. If my (persnickety) kid doesn't like the snack, that's a long time to go with no food. I think it will cause a lot of behavioral issues...who needs a class of hangry 6 year olds?

Yes, that is what I was wondering about the kid who doesn't like the snack. My kids get on the bus at 8:45, so breakfast about 8:15. Kindergarten lunch is at 1:20! They have a good sized snack mid morning. But otherwise, that's 5 hours after breakfast and will make for some crazy hungry kids, most likely.

ETA: And some kids will get on the bus before 8am, so probably closer to 7:30 for breakfast.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2017, 05:50 PM
My kid never likes the school provided snack and, until this year, they weren't allowed to bring one from home. It wasn't a big deal. Yes, it'd have been better to be well fed but we just fed him as soon as he walked in the door. This year they are only allowed to bring fruit or veggies (no dips...either). Better than noting.

StantonHyde
09-21-2017, 05:57 PM
We sent in fruit and veggie trays plus cracker, gogurts, etc. there was a list of items you could choose from. It was a week at a time but with 25 kids in the class you only had to do it once or twice

TwinFoxes
09-21-2017, 06:56 PM
My kid never likes the school provided snack and, until this year, they weren't allowed to bring one from home. It wasn't a big deal. Yes, it'd have been better to be well fed but we just fed him as soon as he walked in the door. This year they are only allowed to bring fruit or veggies (no dips...either). Better than noting.

Really? They tell you what to feed your own kids? I find that pretty presumptuous. I have no issues with veggies or fruits, but honestly, if I want to send cheesesticks in with my kid it's really none of the school's business.

Like PP pointed out, not all snacks are afternoon snacks. Going five hours of school without food for a six-year-old before they have lunch is just not a good idea.

jgenie
09-21-2017, 07:10 PM
We send in whole big costco size packages and the teachers pour them out in dixie size cups. So they don't require single serving.

This is true. Snacks don't have to be prepackaged in individual sizes just in a sealed package that can be divided up.

DualvansMommy
09-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Yes, that is what I was wondering about the kid who doesn't like the snack. My kids get on the bus at 8:45, so breakfast about 8:15. Kindergarten lunch is at 1:20! They have a good sized snack mid morning. But otherwise, that's 5 hours after breakfast and will make for some crazy hungry kids, most likely.

ETA: And some kids will get on the bus before 8am, so probably closer to 7:30 for breakfast.

This is the exact reason why teachers prefer parents to send snacks for THEIR child daily ONLY. Just too many variables along with any other known allergies (nuts, dairy, and coloring dyes!) DS1 doesn’t get on the bus till 8:40 and his first lunch period isn’t till 12:45, a good size snack that teacher can feel confident the kids will eat is very necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trcy
09-21-2017, 07:47 PM
DD's kindergarten class was like this, except it was monthly. We would get a big box of something at Sam's club at the beginning of the month and bring it in. It wasn't a big deal, but I don't think the snacks were the healthiest. Not too many healthy foods stay good for a month. Now she is in first grade and I pack a daily snack for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
09-21-2017, 08:03 PM
I would not want to have to provide a snack for an entire class for an entire week. I rather do once per month. I’m on a tight budget, and an entire week of snacks for a classroom could get quite pricey.

:yeahthat: especially if they have to be healthy and allergy free. Where do you draw the line on allergies? If you have no nuts then what about the dairy free or gluten free kids? Also if you did that the easiest thing imho would be the bagged sliced apples and those aren't cheap at all.

squimp
09-21-2017, 08:04 PM
We did this in preschool and K, and the teacher provided a list. It was very focused on fruits and healthy stuff, non processed and wow was it expensive. Thankfully it was only twice a year or so that we had to provide snack.

essnce629
09-22-2017, 12:18 AM
:yeahthat: especially if they have to be healthy and allergy free. Where do you draw the line on allergies? If you have no nuts then what about the dairy free or gluten free kids? Also if you did that the easiest thing imho would be the bagged sliced apples and those aren't cheap at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep, DS1 is gluten, soy, nut, and coconut free, so good luck finding him a packaged snack! I'd much rather provide my own (cheese stick, meat stick, or yogurt) which wouldn't work for the dairy free, vegan, and vegetarian kids lol!!!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

speo
09-22-2017, 12:34 AM
I would be grouchy but I would go along with it. In reality, I really don't like group snacks including those in the classroom and for sports games. In most cases, the snacks are not as healthy as I would normally provide. Also, for my family I am generally not a big fan of snacks. This type of snack would spoil my kid's appetite for lunch. We all manage to feed our own kids everyday, so I just don't understand why we need to provide food for others in these situations. For sports, kids play a game and get great exercise. Then so often the games are followed by a large Gatorade and a donut. That is just counterintuitive to me.

The one caveat to my general grouchiness about this topic is if I knew that there were kids that weren't receiving enough food at home.

KpbS
09-22-2017, 12:35 AM
We did this for a couple of years with one DC in preschool. Initially I was a little annoyed, but it was good. I like that it builds community with the kids having all the same snack. The teachers did keep some on hand when parent's forgot, which fortunately wasn't too frequently.

We sent in bananas, clementines, applesauce, yogurt tubes, pretzels, cheese, cream cheese to be spread onto rice cakes, etc. I think I sent fruit kabobs for a birthday and apple spice muffins for another birthday. :)

HannaAddict
09-22-2017, 03:44 AM
I would not like it for kindergarten. I was fine with it and we did communal snack for preschool and they were all practicing manners and excited to bring snack. But since I have more than one child now and it is more stressful for us to get out the door and to school than it was for preschool, I would rather not. Also, with all the preferences for no gluten, no dairy, etc. in addition to true food allergies, it is hard to bring a snack for everyone and that my child will want and eat.

bisous
09-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Just a small update.

I talked to the K teacher today. So apparently this is a parent's idea and the K teacher doesn't really like the idea (she doesn't say this but her manner about it conveys that message to me) but the parent was insistent so the teacher allowed the K parent to follow through with this. The teacher will not be doing anything at all to coordinate this. This concerns me as enforcement of this policy will depend entirely on another parent. Oh well, I guess the worst thing that will happen is that DS3 won't eat for 3.5 hours. At least it isn't very long. It makes me just want to opt out though as it is both easier for me and then I'm certain to make sure that DS3 is covered. Oh, and I wouldn't be on the line for providing 100 snacks twice a year.

Globetrotter
09-22-2017, 12:08 PM
I find it strange that a parent is allowed to call the shots here. Maybe if other parents complain they can reverse the decision. I'm guessing it's a convenience issue for that parent, who doesn't want to be bothered to pack snack every day.
It wouldn't bother me too much and personally I would prefer to get it over with in one week segments. I can see how it would be bad for kids who have sensitivities or food allergies. I would prefer to pack our own since my kids eat some unusual healthy items LOL
Tjs has a nut free seed and bean mix that is a new favorite. It does say trace nuts possible, but there aren't any actual nuts in it.
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/seed-bean-medley

carolinacool
09-22-2017, 02:57 PM
At our school, we send in our own snacks daily. But at a nearby school that a lot of DS' friends attend, they do the communal snack, at least in kindergarten. I remember a friend's mom was complaining about it. I can't remember if it was once or twice a month or for an entire week.

In K at our school, even though there was no communal snack, the teacher would occasionally send notes asking if people could send non-perishable snacks. I can't remember how she would word it, but basically I think she was trying to get help for kids who parents didn't or couldn't send one. A couple of times that year, we bought the big boxes of Goldfish from Costco.

abh5e8
09-22-2017, 03:37 PM
https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/seed-bean-medley

We don't eat soy, and I know that's not uncommon. It also contains trace milk, eggs , peanuts and others, so I'm not sure it would qualify as allergy free?

$ 3.49/ bag seems a little steep.

Op, I think that is a crummy policy. I would much prefer to send my kids with their own snacks.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ged
09-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Haven't read all the comments, but I would not like it in the least. And I've done and continue to do my fair share of communal snacks (pre-school, sports, etc). If it now turns out that a parent and not the teacher is asking for it? I'd be pushing for the teacher to take back her classroom policies and not allow one parent to dictate.

citymama
09-22-2017, 03:51 PM
It would drive me insane.

bisous
09-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Yes, it is a parent that is coming up with this idea. The teacher is allowing it but not willing to do anything extra to make it happen and it feels weird to me. I like the parent that is trying to put it in place. Her DD has allergies which may have prompted her desire to make this happen. Because I've been less than stellar in the past week about remembering allergies (though I'm thankful that allergy parents have informed me that my goof wasn't too monumental) I can sorta see where she is coming from. However, I feel like both the teacher and the parent could have come up with a plan that worked for both of them better and then it would have more support and less confusion. As it is, it feels weird to be providing a communal snack that the teacher isn't going to be dealing with.

DualvansMommy
09-22-2017, 04:42 PM
This is pretty strange, given your new update. As a mom of a kiddo with several different allergies, I actually PREFER to send in our own daily snacks for him cuz of his allergies. It isn’t the other way round that a mom of known allergens would push for communal snacks.

I did the communal snacks for DS1 and it was only because the school/his teacher asking for it.

I would think other parents feel same way as you’re feeling, if they knew it was coming from a parent vs the teacher. That would seriously irk me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

calebsmama03
09-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Just a small update.

I talked to the K teacher today. So apparently this is a parent's idea and the K teacher doesn't really like the idea (she doesn't say this but her manner about it conveys that message to me) but the parent was insistent so the teacher allowed the K parent to follow through with this. The teacher will not be doing anything at all to coordinate this. This concerns me as enforcement of this policy will depend entirely on another parent. Oh well, I guess the worst thing that will happen is that DS3 won't eat for 3.5 hours. At least it isn't very long. It makes me just want to opt out though as it is both easier for me and then I'm certain to make sure that DS3 is covered. Oh, and I wouldn't be on the line for providing 100 snacks twice a year.

No way, no how! I don't even like group snack time at youth sports! ;) I would 100% opt out and just send my own stuff for my kid. I really don't understand the appeal? Seems like one area where the teacher should step up and say NO. I'm surprised the school would allow this from a liability standpoint anyway?

bisous
09-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Yeah, guys. I'm just annoyed. This just feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

squimp
09-22-2017, 05:01 PM
No way, no how! I don't even like group snack time at youth sports! ;) I would 100% opt out and just send my own stuff for my kid. I really don't understand the appeal? Seems like one area where the teacher should step up and say NO. I'm surprised the school would allow this from a liability standpoint anyway?

Yup. Every time the topic comes up, people opt to do individual snacks as opposed to group snacks or meals. Sounds like one pushy parent is making life difficult for everyone else. If I were you, I would complain and ask other parents to do the same if they agree. You are backing up the teacher.

Globetrotter
09-22-2017, 05:07 PM
We don't eat soy, and I know that's not uncommon. It also contains trace milk, eggs , peanuts and others, so I'm not sure it would qualify as allergy free?

$ 3.49/ bag seems a little steep.

Op, I think that is a crummy policy. I would much prefer to send my kids with their own snacks.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I wasn't suggesting it as allergy free or for a communal snack, but it's ok for my kids to take to a nut free school.

bisous
09-22-2017, 05:14 PM
What is the best way to resolve this situation peacefully? Talk to the parent organizing and express concern? I don't want there to be any conflict between parents or between parent and teacher. I feel like communication instead of flyers would accomplish this. Should I just bring it up? Call the mom directly? I feel like if the teacher doesn't really want this happening she should have just said "no" outright and not allowed it to be introduced. KWIM?

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2017, 05:45 PM
What is the best way to resolve this situation peacefully? Talk to the parent organizing and express concern? I don't want there to be any conflict between parents or between parent and teacher. I feel like communication instead of flyers would accomplish this. Should I just bring it up? Call the mom directly? I feel like if the teacher doesn't really want this happening she should have just said "no" outright and not allowed it to be introduced. KWIM?

As the head room parent at our school, I pound these facts to my room parents: 1. Room parents are simply there to help and make life easier for the teacher ; 2. Teachers get the final say. I hate finding out at the end of the year that some teacher struggled with a difficult room parent. As such, is tell your parent group about this and how it makes you uncomfortable to do something the teacher isn't keen on.

PZMommy
09-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Is this a new teacher?? I can’t imagine a teacher letting a parent put a policy like this in place. I would let the parent know that I would not be participating in the group snack and that you will be sending a snack in for your own child.

bisous
09-22-2017, 06:32 PM
Is this a new teacher?? I can’t imagine a teacher letting a parent put a policy like this in place. I would let the parent know that I would not be participating in the group snack and that you will be sending a snack in for your own child.

No. This is a veteran teacher.

The more I think about it the more I think that the teacher really should not have "let" the parent do this. If the teacher didn't want to get behind it, I think she should have told the parent not to do it. It is her classroom after all and the snack is administered while she is in charge. I should think she'd have a say.

IansMom
09-22-2017, 07:32 PM
We had communal snack in kindergarten but the snacks were put in a snack bin. The kids could pick out what they wanted. Some parents sent in Little Debbie snack cakes! �� Thankfully, DS isn't the type to eat junk food. I just sent in a bunch of what I knew he ate when it was our turn (about twice a month) or when it was running low in the snack bin (he would tell me). The class always loved when I sent in mandarin oranges. After kindergarten, I just had to send a daily snack for him--thank goodness.

I think a parent pushing this against a teacher's will sets a bad precedent. The teacher should just tell her no. Can you "opt out"? I would just tell the teacher and parent that you prefer to send in snack for your child and to please take your name off rotating list. There shouldn't be a problem with that--you can't be forced to provide snack for the class.

TwinFoxes
09-22-2017, 07:35 PM
The more I think about it the more I think that the teacher really should not have "let" the parent do this. If the teacher didn't want to get behind it, I think she should have told the parent not to do it. It is her classroom after all and the snack is administered while she is in charge. I should think she'd have a say.

I completely agree with this! This is just ridiculous that she's going along with this. So, what, someone else decides that every Friday is spirit day, will she implement that?

I don't think my kids would want a communal snack, so if it was OK with them, I just would tell the teacher I wasn't going to participate, and then not participate. I wouldn't make a thing about it, wouldn't talk to the parent, I just wouldn't do it. If the parent asked me when I could bring in a snack, I would just say "oh, sorry, it's not going to work for us to bring a communal snack. Good luck!"

connor_mommy
09-22-2017, 08:04 PM
This would not have been allowed to happen at our school. I could see parents at our school actually going directly to the principal if the teacher didn't want to deal with this. They've gone to here with pettier issues instead of talking to the teachers directly.

MMMommy
09-22-2017, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't like this at all. Too many picky kids, picky parents, allergies, etc. I would much prefer that everyone packs their own snack for their own child.

doberbrat
09-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Hell to the NO. I would already have been to the principal about it. First off, I simply cant afford to provide snacks for 20 kids for a week. period. 2nd, dd1 has allergies - not to nuts which would be "easy" but wheat, milk & strawberries. I would never ever trust another parent to feed her.

and dd2 only likes more adult foods and eats them in quantity. hard boiled eggs, chobani yogurt and a fruit is a normal snack for her. she would never eat a goldfish.

I'm not a lawyer, but honestly, I think its a huge liability for the teacher and the school.

bisous
09-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the opinions. I will probably be updating you guys. You should have seen the original letter. It was odd, because it just said "Kindergarten Update" not either Mrs. Soandso's AM K class or Hey Fellow Parents of K students, so it was really ambiguous if it was official or not. I'm going to talk to the teacher first. My mom thinks I should go to the principal.

PZMommy
09-22-2017, 10:14 PM
Ok, thanks for the opinions. I will probably be updating you guys. You should have seen the original letter. It was odd, because it just said "Kindergarten Update" not either Mrs. Soandso's AM K class or Hey Fellow Parents of K students, so it was really ambiguous if it was official or not. I'm going to talk to the teacher first. My mom thinks I should go to the principal.

I would go to the teacher first, and depending on what she says, then I would go to the principal. A teacher should not be letting a parent dictate what goes on in the classroom regarding snack time. It could be a huge liability if someone brings something that a child is allergic to, and if a parent forgets, then the class doesn't have a treat, parents may not be able to afford treats, etc. I'm really curious as to why the teacher went along with it?? Plus, as a teacher, I can't even send home a monthly newsletter without the principal approving it. How did the teacher send home a note that another parent wrote?? This just sounds like a huge mess!!!

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2017, 10:59 PM
I would go to the teacher first, and depending on what she says, then I would go to the principal. A teacher should not be letting a parent dictate what goes on in the classroom regarding snack time. It could be a huge liability if someone brings something that a child is allergic to, and if a parent forgets, then the class doesn't have a treat, parents may not be able to afford treats, etc. I'm really curious as to why the teacher went along with it?? Plus, as a teacher, I can't even send home a monthly newsletter without the principal approving it. How did the teacher send home a note that another parent wrote?? This just sounds like a huge mess!!!

I know you aren't used to involved parents and low bureaucracy but our school doesn't micromanage communications. We don't need approval for parent communications and teachers can send messages out without principal ok too.
I do agree that it's a big mess though.

AlbrightRC
09-24-2017, 03:12 PM
wouldn't do it