PDA

View Full Version : Constipation and holding in bowel movements

boilermakermom
09-21-2017, 08:11 PM
DS (18 months) has been constipated on and off for about a month and a half. We can't seem to figure out what is causing the constipation other than he just isn't a real big drinker. If we push water or give him watermelon, he seems to be ok. Otherwise, I'll give him Miralax a few days in a row, and the constipation will subside. Once it subsides, he will be fine for a week or two, then starts all over.

Throughout the bouts of constipation, DS's anus becomes red and raw. It almost gets to the point where he has to go, but holds it in as long as he can. Or he will only pass small amounts. He cries quite a bit when he is tryng to pass a bowel movement.

We use hydrocortizone cream and Aquaphor at each diaper change, and change as soon as he has a BM, and it seems to help. Any clue on why he is so red and raw?

I thought it might be acid. He doesn't eat anything super acidic - no tomato or citrus. He is not a juice drinker; only water. We cut milk and cheese out of his diet about a month ago.

I am at a loss for what to do next. Thank you!

meggie t
09-21-2017, 10:33 PM
My daughter's diet, while not the worst, could be better. We have been doing Miralax (very small dose; about 1/4 of a cap) daily for over a year. Since birth she was not a frequent pooper and we tried many different things and Miralax is the only thing that works consistently. But we have to be consistent about giving it. She is now 4.5 yo.

ArizonaGirl
09-21-2017, 10:36 PM
I say this knowing that it is harder said than done, but you really have to give the Miralax consistently for quite awhile if the colon is stretched out or the problem isn't being solved just masked.

KpbS
09-22-2017, 12:12 AM
Push the water. Everyday. Water in the morning, plenty with meals, etc. And if watermelon works, by all means serve it for breakfast/snack/lunch/etc.

Myira
09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
My kids do not drink enough water as well, and even when forced they will barely take a few sips, so I get it. Will he be open to having soups and smoothies? That serves the dual purpose of getting in veggies and fruits into him, plus have a lot of water content. I would try to up his veggie and fruits intake in whatever form he likes, so that everything moves quicker and he goes more frequently, which will lessen the chance of hard stools.

JBaxter
09-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Water , prunes pears pear juice ....any kind of liquids. Toddlers old poo because ... well they CAN. Once it hurts coming out they hold it more.

elephantmeg
09-22-2017, 10:37 AM
I would do 2-3 weeks of miralax to let his colon reset. Push fluids, push fruit. My DS was the same way.

AnnieW625
09-22-2017, 11:49 PM
Push the water. Everyday. Water in the morning, plenty with meals, etc. And if watermelon works, by all means serve it for breakfast/snack/lunch/etc.

:yeahthat: miralax gave myself and my daughters awful stomach aches. Can you give him a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm? I am gluten free due to IBS with constipation and it helps most of the time with the bloated feel I get when I eat wheat, but I still need the magnesium to help move things along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk