PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for teen boys?

hbridge
09-23-2017, 03:16 PM
So in my house it's time to start thinking about Fall Birthdays and Christmas. As always, it's the teens that are hardest for me. I have four boys ages 14 through 22 to buy for, along with my own teen.

This year, I am trying to make our dollars mean something so I am trying to shy away from big box stores, amazon, ect. However, for this group I am ALWAYS at a loss and open to anything. I will do gift cards if I really have to, but would rather find something fun...

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas?

PS I try to stay below $35 each...

Thanks.

bnme
09-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Hard age and price point. Baseball hat, pj bottoms, duffel bag or drawstring bag, something from favorite sports team or music group, gc for movies or other place they go out to or iTunes or Xbox points.

ABO Mama
09-23-2017, 03:55 PM
My guys are getting to be the same age. I just got them these pint glasses for an upcoming birthday.
https://www.tempercraftusa.com/16oz-pints/black
DH got one first, and they're really nice. Keeps your drink nice and cold, and the outside doesn't sweat. I choose custom engravings, because they hate mixing up their cups. For a gift, you could add a six pack of local craft beer (for the 22yo), or a bag of local candies.

JBaxter
09-23-2017, 03:58 PM
I would ask them for suggestions. Having teen and older boys its hard I probably have 10 draw string bags of various colors and prints caps galore ( both items they have ONE the use/favorite others are just there) It may be they want something more expensive and need a couple gift cards.

liz
09-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Good ideas above. How about"experience" gifts? Taking your son and a friend to a water park, trampoline park, go carts? Then lunch after? That way you're spending locally too

hbridge
09-23-2017, 04:34 PM
OP Here... These four boys all live a distance from us (opposite coasts). We see them very occasionally (once every few years). So whatever I do will be mailed.

- I do like the idea of a tumbler or water bottle. This may be an idea... A hydroflask sport type for the younger and more of a coffee mug style for the older...
- Alcohol is not an option for any of them.
- We never give or get suggestions, just send gifts :)!
- My teen's interests are polar opposites of these boys. It's tough to use DC as a starting point... (for example, what are XBOX points...I don't even know if they have gaming systems...)
- I love the "experience" idea. Unfortunately, they are all just too far away!

Keep them coming... These suggestions are fantastic!

ourbabygirl
09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
-Maybe a gift card to a school (high school/ college) store to buy themselves a t-shirt or sweatshirt/ other team apparel?
-A check :)
-How about one of those cool hammocks made out of parachute material? We got one from REI, but I'm sure you can get them somewhere else, even cheaper on Amazon. I've seen a lot of teens using those in local parks/ could use them camping, etc. They're very lightweight and portable; could be cool on college campus, too.

ETA Thank you so much to PP for the tumbler idea! I may get one for my godson, who's also a hard age to buy for!

Gracemom
09-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Money clip or wallet, keychain, iTunes gift card.

gatorsmom
09-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Funny tshirts were a big hit with my teens last Christmas. We gave them tshirts and gift cards. I just had to ask their moms what size they took and if they liked science, Star Wars, etc.

This website has had some good ones and delivered quickly. https://www.snorgtees.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Star+Wars

KrisM
09-23-2017, 07:29 PM
-Maybe a gift card to a school (high school/ college) store to buy themselves a t-shirt or sweatshirt/ other team apparel?
-A check :)
-How about one of those cool hammocks made out of parachute material? We got one from REI, but I'm sure you can get them somewhere else, even cheaper on Amazon. I've seen a lot of teens using those in local parks/ could use them camping, etc. They're very lightweight and portable; could be cool on college campus, too.

ETA Thank you so much to PP for the tumbler idea! I may get one for my godson, who's also a hard age to buy for!

What hammock? How do you use it in a park? Sounds like something my nephew would like.

KrisM
09-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Funny tshirts were a big hit with my teens last Christmas. We gave them tshirts and gift cards. I just had to ask their moms what size they took and if they liked science, Star Wars, etc.

This website has had some good ones and delivered quickly. https://www.snorgtees.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Star+Wars

My 13 year old likes these shirts. He has a few funny ones that he likes.

essnce629
09-23-2017, 08:59 PM
I have a 14 year old boy. Out of all the things that have been suggested so far, he wouldn't care about any of it! $30 cash in a card would make him light up and he'd quickly go spend it on Yu-Gi-Oh cards or video game lol! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
09-23-2017, 11:05 PM
I have a 14 year old boy. Out of all the things that have been suggested so far, he wouldn't care about any of it! $30 cash in a card would make him light up and he'd quickly go spend it on Yu-Gi-Oh cards or video game lol! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Exactly. We have so many water bottles we have to purge and donate, literally no need or desire for a water bottle or drawstring bags, shirts and hats. With sports and school, just at overload. My kids love to get money they can spend or even walknover and deposit in their account. At their ages, the oldest are 13 and 11, money would be a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamma
09-24-2017, 07:47 AM
My DGS like to walk with their friends to get something to eat after an activity. A gift card to Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, any of the local pizza places would be appreciated. Costco sells movies passes at a discount to AMC and Bow Tie Cinema, or an activity like bowling or skating.

hbridge
09-24-2017, 08:25 AM
OP Here... Thank you ALL!!! I really appreciate it, especially those who reminded me that kids don't necessarily need more stuff :)! However, I don't know what is in their vicinities (spread all over the country) and everyone has their own likes and dislikes....

So... I think I'm going to do $25 Amazon cards with a "little something", probably Silly Putty or Aaron's Thinking Putty (my DC loves this stuff)!

Mikey0709
09-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Thinking putty is awesome... it’s our go-to for any age along with cash.

Another option is cash inside one of those plastic puzzles.... they have to solve it to open and get the cash out.

I’ve also done key-chains which store an emergency paper bill.... similar to this one. I keep a $20 in mine and can’t tell you how many times it came handy when i forgot cash!!
https://www.amazon.com/Paladone-PP0794TX-Emporium-Emergency-Keychain/dp/B00EPG26RK