PDA

View Full Version : Need cure for DC's canker sore... Alum??

mackmama
09-26-2017, 10:38 AM
DC is 6yo. I've heard Alum can help. Is that safe to use for a 6yo?

The canker sore came from DC biting the bottom lip, and now there is a pretty good sized canker on the inside of the mouth. DC keeps accidentally biting it when chewing so we're in a bad cycle. :(

mom2binsd
09-26-2017, 01:21 PM
I'd try Anbesol, the liquid, it heals mouth sores very quickly.

I chew the insides of my mouth and know how tempting it is to chew any bumps in there!!!

marymoo86
09-26-2017, 02:47 PM
coconut oil, organic raw local honey, or even yogurt will help heal.

KrisM
09-26-2017, 04:15 PM
DS2 kept getting them on his tongue. Maybe every 2 months or so it would pop back up. We did the alum for 2 applications total and it took the pain away and finally healed and has not returned in over a year. He was 8.

RiverRat
09-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Can someone post a link for this? Is it the baking product that comes up on Amazon?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
09-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Can someone post a link for this? Is it the baking product that comes up on Amazon?

Yes. In the spices section by McCormick is what I have.

mackmama
09-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Google "canker sore alum" and you'll see lots of testimonials swearing it works. I've never tried it but might give it a whirl. Just makes me nervous that everyone underlines not to swallow it since DC is 6yo.

KrisM
09-26-2017, 11:52 PM
Google "canker sore alum" and you'll see lots of testimonials swearing it works. I've never tried it but might give it a whirl. Just makes me nervous that everyone underlines not to swallow it since DC is 6yo.

My DS was older, but still was just 8. He and DH did it together. I think that helped DS a bit with having it on his tongue and not swallowing. He probably made it 30 seconds? But it worked much better than anything else we had tried. We had a few things, including a prescription for something. The alum really took the pain away quickly and it finally fully healed. It's worth a shot.

mackmama
09-26-2017, 11:54 PM
My DS was older, but still was just 8. He and DH did it together. I think that helped DS a bit with having it on his tongue and not swallowing. He probably made it 30 seconds? But it worked much better than anything else we had tried. We had a few things, including a prescription for something. The alum really took the pain away quickly and it finally fully healed. It's worth a shot.

Did you just apply it with a fingertip dipped in the alum, or did you make a paste out of it? 30 secs is good to know thanks.

KrisM
09-27-2017, 12:00 AM
I don't remember. I'll ask DH in the morning. I think we made a paste, but it's a fuzzy memory.

jam224
09-27-2017, 12:04 AM
What a timely thread! I have a canker sore that isn't going away (thanks to being under quite a bit of stress, ugh) and alum powder works for me every time! You only need a very small amount -- just enough to thinly coat the sore. I usually apply it with a wet Qtip. It stings like the dickens, but honestly even cold water irritates it, so I don't think there's any getting around that. 9 times out of 10, just one application is enough for it to start healing and then it goes away without needing additional powder. I've been using it as a canker sore treatment since high school. I would feel comfortable using it on my 6yo. I would prep her for the stinging and instruct her to be very careful to leave it alone for it to heal quickly. Probably an application right before bedtime would be ideal, that way it can work overnight without worry of talking or eating to bother it. Sorry for your DC! Canker sores are awful!

urquie
09-27-2017, 01:21 PM
A prescription called Triamcinolone Acetonide dental paste is hands down, the best canker sore remedy! For me, once applied, the canker sore immediately stops getting worse and starts to heal. Works best when applied before bed, so it can sit on the sore, undisturbed for a longer period of time. It doesn't sting and it doesn't act like a liquid bandaid. It is a paste and will stay on longer if you can gently dry the area.

For over-the-counter, I like Peroxyl gel for spot treatment and Peroxyl mouth rinse when there's multiple stores.

KrisM
09-27-2017, 09:57 PM
We used a wet q-tip and just put a small amount on. No paste-making first.

He also reminded me we changed his tooth paste to one with no SLS in it and perhaps that has kept them away for the past year.

mackmama
09-27-2017, 10:25 PM
We used a wet q-tip and just put a small amount on. No paste-making first.

He also reminded me we changed his tooth paste to one with no SLS in it and perhaps that has kept them away for the past year.

Great thank you!