PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sizing on Pottery Barn Kids costumes?

santoki
09-26-2017, 01:55 PM
This will be my first time buying Halloween costumes at PBK, and I am trying to figure out sizing (I don't have a store nearby so can't see them in person). Do PBK costumes tend to run TTS/small/big? My DD is an average-size 6 year old, so I'm debating whether to get the 4-6 size (but worry about it being too tight if it's also made for 4 year olds) or the 7-8 (but don't want the costume to swallow her up!). I spoke to a PBK customer service rep who read me the sizing chart, but I'd love to get advice from people who have "real life" experience with these!

Thanks a million!!

mom2binsd
09-26-2017, 02:05 PM
Is there a specific costume you are looking for? As this is the bbb I have to chime in that their costumes are insanely priced! If you find one you like and figure out the size, check ebay, they often have the same costumes year after year. Also, TJ Maxx has been known to have PBK style costumes usually under 30.00

lizzywednesday
09-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Use the size charts; size up a smidge if your child is on the cusp of two sizes height-wise.

My DD has worn the owl, goldfish, dragon (2 yrs in a row), and witch (2 yrs in a row.) The first 3 costumes were the 2-piece "puffy" fleece kind, while the witch is more of a dress.

They are fairly TTS, though I felt the bodice of the witch costume was a little on the side of small/tight for my child, which is why we got the 7-8 size when she was 5, but she's a little taller than average, so it didn't make a huge difference. I also wasn't particularly happy with the way the hat fit my child's head (we both thought it was a wee bit too small & sizing should have been proportionate to the costume's size) but we bought another last year from the Target dollar spot that she was a lot happier with.

Of the 4, they held up quite well. Because she wore it twice, I felt the need to replace the lace trim at the witch dress hem (dry leaves tangled in it) last year, but that only cost me about $2 in lace at Joann Fabric and the time it took to pin and sew it.

Unless it has a long skirt, like the witch or "bride of Frankenstein" ones, sizing up won't be a terrible misstep and will allow you to layer warmer clothes underneath if that's a concern where you live.

santoki
09-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Is there a specific costume you are looking for? As this is the bbb I have to chime in that their costumes are insanely priced! If you find one you like and figure out the size, check ebay, they often have the same costumes year after year. Also, TJ Maxx has been known to have PBK style costumes usually under 30.00

Haha, yes, the prices (even with a coupon) do make me gulp! Thanks for the tip on TJ Maxx, I'll have to check it out....

santoki
09-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Use the size charts; size up a smidge if your child is on the cusp of two sizes height-wise.

My DD has worn the owl, goldfish, dragon (2 yrs in a row), and witch (2 yrs in a row.) The first 3 costumes were the 2-piece "puffy" fleece kind, while the witch is more of a dress.

They are fairly TTS, though I felt the bodice of the witch costume was a little on the side of small/tight for my child, which is why we got the 7-8 size when she was 5, but she's a little taller than average, so it didn't make a huge difference. I also wasn't particularly happy with the way the hat fit my child's head (we both thought it was a wee bit too small & sizing should have been proportionate to the costume's size) but we bought another last year from the Target dollar spot that she was a lot happier with.

Of the 4, they held up quite well. Because she wore it twice, I felt the need to replace the lace trim at the witch dress hem (dry leaves tangled in it) last year, but that only cost me about $2 in lace at Joann Fabric and the time it took to pin and sew it.

Unless it has a long skirt, like the witch or "bride of Frankenstein" ones, sizing up won't be a terrible misstep and will allow you to layer warmer clothes underneath if that's a concern where you live.

Wow, thank you SO much for this detailed info, especially on the witch costume--we're looking at dress costumes (one of the fairies or the light-up ghost/pumpkin tutu dress), and my DD does seem to be on the cusp of the 4-6 / 7-8 sizes. Good point on the layering...we will have to layer either under or over because the nights are chilly. I suppose I could get the 7-8 to make sure the bodice isn't too tight then somehow shorten the dress (cut the tulle?) if it's too long. I just don't want it gaping at the top because that will be a harder fix (and I have zero sewing skills!).

And it's very reassuring to know that your costumes have held up well. Thank you again for the info!

lizzywednesday
09-26-2017, 02:53 PM
The fairy costumes, except the Monique Lhullier, are shorter skirts, like an average tutu skirt from the kids' department. They're just very full.

The ghost & pumpkin costume's overskirts are the "long" part; I wouldn't cut it, especially if you're splurging on the item. There are other ways of getting a half-inch or so of length up, including having your DD put the costume on (over whatever layer(s) she'll be wearing) and using a large safety-pin to take up the straps (fold them down at the back, tuck them in, and pin them to the bodice 'til ToT is finished, then unpin before you remove the costume.)

I didn't do anything with my DD's witch costume the first year beyond adding a tutu underneath with "witch" tights from Target and a close-fitting base layer top so she wouldn't freeze after the sun went down.

I don't think you'll have an issue with gaping bodices with any of those three. I've seen them in store and the bodices are pretty fitted, IMO, so sizing up for layers isn't going to be a bad idea.

mom2binsd
09-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Haha, yes, the prices (even with a coupon) do make me gulp! Thanks for the tip on TJ Maxx, I'll have to check it out....

And Ebay, even check out your local FB pages or next door apps, ours our full of nearly new costumes at major discounts!

santoki
09-26-2017, 03:27 PM
The fairy costumes, except the Monique Lhullier, are shorter skirts, like an average tutu skirt from the kids' department. They're just very full.

The ghost & pumpkin costume's overskirts are the "long" part; I wouldn't cut it, especially if you're splurging on the item. There are other ways of getting a half-inch or so of length up, including having your DD put the costume on (over whatever layer(s) she'll be wearing) and using a large safety-pin to take up the straps (fold them down at the back, tuck them in, and pin them to the bodice 'til ToT is finished, then unpin before you remove the costume.)

I didn't do anything with my DD's witch costume the first year beyond adding a tutu underneath with "witch" tights from Target and a close-fitting base layer top so she wouldn't freeze after the sun went down.

I don't think you'll have an issue with gaping bodices with any of those three. I've seen them in store and the bodices are pretty fitted, IMO, so sizing up for layers isn't going to be a bad idea.

You're right, I should try to adjust length from the top (in a non-permanent way) rather than cut the bottom. And love your idea of putting an extra tutu underneath. Your replies also reminded me that sizing up would be good for future play (and hopefully future Halloweens!). Thanks again, you've been incredibly helpful!!