PDA

View Full Version : More tips for flying without anxiety?

bisous
09-26-2017, 02:05 PM
HELP! I'm flying in just a week or so. I flew over the summer and one flight I was fine and one flight I had some issues.

I have a doctor's appointment coming up and I actually plan on asking her about getting something for anxiety. I know that isn't uncommon. One issue that complicates everything is that I will be responsible for the medical care of my DS1 while I'm flying so I need to not be "out of it". Anyone have anything they recommend medication wise that I can discuss with my doctor?

As far as other things that I think will help, I am planning to buy snacks, magazine and other things to help me stay distracted. Last time, DH downloaded some movies from Amazon onto my phone and that really helped.

I was surprised to discover that having a window seat was better for me than having an aisle seat. I have aisle seats picked out for this flight but I'm planning to switch them if I can. The flight that was good for me I had a window seat with a true view. I was able to see the ground below and that was surprisingly helpful.

Anything I'm not thinking of?

TIA!

hillview
09-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Visualize things going well. Headphones. Play a game with DS during take off to focus you -- something where you both have to pay attention and don't need tray tables up. My sister gets very anxious and she likes to talk to the pilot ahead of time and mostly airlines accommodate this if you ask nicely if you think this will help you. You got this!

megs4413
09-26-2017, 02:32 PM
I have taken both xanax and ativan (not at the same time) to fly and it doesn't knock me out at all. How do you respond to benadryl? that might give you an idea of how you will do on xanax or ativan. for me, I need a hand to hold, headphones with encouraging music, and meds. Even then, I white knuckle it through take off. I don't mind the flying itself or even landing too much, but i hate the sensation of taking off...it's a sensory thing for me.

bisous
09-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Yes, for me it's a claustrophobia thing, not really a fear of falling or death or injury.

So on Benadryl I used to get amped. A year ago I took NyQuil though and for the first time ever it helped me sleep.

Love the suggestions for music, head phones and games.

megs4413
09-26-2017, 02:37 PM
If it's claustrophobia, I suggest a small handheld fan. Blowing air directly at your face can help with the feeling of being closed in.

marymoo86
09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
I would be more concerned about a reaction to an unknown medication especially in the air.

Have you researched other methods of dealing with this (aromatherapy)?

bisous
09-26-2017, 03:06 PM
If it's claustrophobia, I suggest a small handheld fan. Blowing air directly at your face can help with the feeling of being closed in.

Good idea. I hadn't heard of that. They use fans on the Submarine ride at Disneyland though so it must be effective.

lalasmama
09-26-2017, 03:57 PM
I second the fan recommendation! For me, the little fan with the reading light is fine.

Also consider some relaxing essential oils. I'm weird and like citrus ones, which are said to be for attention boosting, but I've conditioned myself (via using them with a relaxation app) to find them calming.

For medicinal help, I've been given Vistaril, Ativan, Xanax, Dramamine (the regular one, not the non-drowsy one; fell asleep at Disneyland at a table at lunch time post non-drowsy Dramamine, lol). Ativan is my typical go-to--leaves me calm but not knock-me-out sleepy until I need a second one.

They other thing that tends to help me is a quick prayer. I mean, I know I have no control over God's will for our flight, but I'm still going to ask Him for some protection :)

Oh, and not flying out of SNA, but it may be too late for that, lol. Really, I just hate that steep take-off, and that starts the anxiety. And once the anxiety starts, everything is then cause for freaking out.

gymnbomb
09-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Was your son with you when you flew this summer? Asking because I have a friend who has a really hard time with anxiety and flying, and she does best when she is in "mom mode" and is responsible for taking care of someone else. Her easiest flight ever was a flight back from Europe when her son was sick and she had to concentrate on him the whole flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elbert
09-26-2017, 04:20 PM
I really, really, really don't like flying, but we travel a fair amount. I take an Ativan right before boarding and another about 5 hours later. I used to also have two drinks (alcohol) and that got me to the point that I didn't really care that I was flying. I now just take the Ativan and also check the turbulence forecast website so I know what to expect. I often make small talk with the pilot in the terminal before we are boarding, which sometimes helps calm me down at that moment,

DD has a difficult time flying due to ear pressure, and I can tell you from experience that when she unexpectedly vomits (which happens on most of our flights) and I need to clean it, her, and me up, that usually distracts me quite a bit from my anxiety. I definitely italy wouldn't recommend that, though.

Movies are helpful to me, as well as headphones which let me set the volume high so that I don't hear as many "noises" around me.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
09-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Was your son with you when you flew this summer? Asking because I have a friend who has a really hard time with anxiety and flying, and she does best when she is in "mom mode" and is responsible for taking care of someone else. Her easiest flight ever was a flight back from Europe when her son was sick and she had to concentrate on him the whole flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No I was alone! Maybe it will make it better!

bisous
09-26-2017, 04:31 PM
I really, really, really don't like flying, but we travel a fair amount. I take an Ativan right before boarding and another about 5 hours later. I used to also have two drinks (alcohol) and that got me to the point that I didn't really care that I was flying. I now just take the Ativan and also check the turbulence forecast website so I know what to expect. I often make small talk with the pilot in the terminal before we are boarding, which sometimes helps calm me down at that moment,

DD has a difficult time flying due to ear pressure, and I can tell you from experience that when she unexpectedly vomits (which happens on most of our flights) and I need to clean it, her, and me up, that usually distracts me quite a bit from my anxiety. I definitely italy wouldn't recommend that, though.

Movies are helpful to me, as well as headphones which let me set the volume high so that I don't hear as many "noises" around me.

I will ask about Ativan.

It sounds like movies, headphones and maybe a fan will help me forget I'm stuck in a small box with a lot of people, lol.

elbert
09-26-2017, 04:33 PM
No I was alone! Maybe it will make it better!

I think that was the gist of my earlier comment regarding DD vomiting. You go into another mode when someone needs you...particularly your kids! No time for your own anxiety...

mikala
09-26-2017, 05:05 PM
I think a pp mentioned it but I'd also suggest a mindless game for your electronic devices. Something like Candy Crush, Angry Birds or Threes is great for takeoff and landing.