PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me find this?

Soccermomm
09-26-2017, 02:40 PM
I am looking for over the door hooks for 8 foot doors. I have only been able to find this one option - https://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Reach-Organizer-Coats-Towels/dp/B001L7U4Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506450893&sr=8-1&keywords=over+the+door+hook+for+tall+doors

I have looked and looked, are there any other options out there?

TwoBees
09-26-2017, 02:58 PM
What about using Command hooks instead?

This one is longer (although maybe not as long as you need) and comes in several colors:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/bronze-duchess-3-hook-over-the-door-hook/d?productId=11004714&q=over%20the%20door%20hook

squimp
09-26-2017, 03:49 PM
I have never found over the door hooks that don't damage the door frame. I second looking into command hooks or perhaps attaching directly to the door.

Soccermomm
09-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Thanks twobees! Yes, I would like for it to be longer. That one on amazon is 24 inches. i wish it came in the style like the one you found at TCS.

mom_hanna
09-26-2017, 11:41 PM
What about the over the door hooks to hang wreaths? Those are longer. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=wreath+hanger&sprefix=wreath+Hang%2Cgarden%2C185&crid=3OFPG2XXAMFW3

hillview
09-27-2017, 09:51 AM
I've had good luck with these for towels and robes/sweatshirts
https://www.amazon.com/Command-Traditional-Plastic-Brushed-17053BN-ES/dp/B001B0WNLW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1506520135&sr=8-10&keywords=command+hooks

Like Squimp the over the door ones have damaged my doors :(

khm
09-27-2017, 11:49 AM
People use Command hooks like crazy in my office, and they pull paint and leave dark (like oily?) marks. Sometimes they left surfaces unscathed, but more often than not, they did damage for sure. (We recently remodeled our entire office, so a lot of them got taken down at the same time - from doors and painted walls.)

OP, if you do use over door hooks, I'd see if you can pad the backs of the rack with felt chair runners if there is enough metal to do with with, and if you can screw them into the door from the top so they don't slide around. Usually they have a hole in the top part so you can go down into the door.

Soccermomm
09-27-2017, 07:46 PM
khm - I have had some bad luck with command also. We were in an apartment for a year and the one I used on the door, came off and took a huge section of paint with it. Not so sure I want to use them again.

i guess I could make my million by designing hooks that dont damage doors and are long enough for tall doors! :)

TwoBees
09-28-2017, 08:47 AM
FWIW, I had a problem with some of the clear small hooks ripping paint off the wall about 3 years ago. I contacted the company and they told me this is an issue they have encountered, since the clear hooks use different adhesive than the white hooks. I have stuck to the white hooks ever since. If you follow the directions to remove them - pull the tab down slowly straight down after removing the hook part), they usually come off cleanly.

legaleagle
09-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Does it absolutely have to be over the door not screwed in? It's often easier to patch a small hole then deal with a ton of over the door scraping and making the door difficult to close.

sariana
09-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Re: Command hooks--you also have to pay attention to the weight limits. I also had the clear hooks take off some paint, but it was because DD overloaded it and the whole thing ripped off the wall. The adhesive was too strong, I guess. But since the hooks aren't attached to a stud or even to drywall, they truly are at the mercy of the paint to which hey attach. The small hooks just have a tiny surface area and can't handle much weight.

As for the dark spots left on the walls, is it possible the paint around them faded? I doesn't take long for that to happen.

khm
09-28-2017, 10:50 AM
As for the dark spots left on the walls, is it possible the paint around them faded? I doesn't take long for that to happen.

No, I don't think so, the spots were way darker and not a color that you'd paint walls, it was like an oily-looking darker-greyish stain on tan walls. Something in the substance reacted or bled through. They'd probably be completely fine on a poly-coated stained wood door though. A painted door? I personally would be wary.