PDA

View Full Version : Teachers: Do you work at the school your DC attend(s) or will attend?

ourbabygirl
09-26-2017, 11:04 PM
If so, do you like it, or wish you didn't?

I've always thought it would be great to teach at the school where my kids go, but if we stay in our current district, it's highly unlikely (very small, and my subject is very specialized). However, I have a friend who is a counselor at a school that her kids don't attend, and she actually kind of likes the separation. I'll be going back to work in a few years and want to think about this as much as I can before I begin the job search...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

pharmjenn
09-26-2017, 11:49 PM
I am not a teacher, but one of the kinder teachers at our school lives in district but not at our school. She has had all her boys attend our school, mostly for ease of getting the kids to school. My husband attended the school his mother taught at, and during his early years he would cry when he saw her at school since he couldn't be with her.

PZMommy
09-26-2017, 11:52 PM
My oldest son attended kinder and first grade at the school I teach at. My school has some really good teachers, which is why I made that choice. However, the students are another story. Many of the students are below grade level. My DS tested highly gifted in first grade. My school was just not a good fit for him, as we do not have much of a gifted program, and even though his teacher provided differentiation, it was not enough. We moved him and started my youngest in kinder, at our home school where they have a strong gifted program. It has been a much better fit for him.

I really liked having him at my school. It was so easy, plus I saved a ton of money not having to pay for before and after school care. It also was nice in that we had the same schedule of back to school night, and other evening school function, awards assemblies, programs, etc. I could easily run down to the auditorium for 15 minutes to see him get an award, where as now I need to take a half day off to go to his award assemblies, programs, etc, and I cross my fingers every year that his back to school night and my back to school night are not the same night.

I would not hesitate to work at the same school as my kids attend. I really liked it.

pinay
09-26-2017, 11:54 PM
I teach at a high school my girls could go to, but it's not the one we are zoned for. I like that we are in the same district so that I am on the same schedule as they are for major vacations (professional development days are a pain though, since I'm not off while they are and the onsite aftercare is typically closed then too). I can definitely see pros and cons to being at the same school- I think DD1 would love it and thrive, but DD2 would possibly hate it and feel like I was always watching her (although she probably needs it more than DD1!). Many of my teacher friends have had their kids go to the school they teach at and it's been a fantastic experience for virtually all of them. The ability to know what's going on with your kids and their friends at practically a moment's notice is such a great thing, especially when you have good relationships with other staff and they look out for your kid. My current school is better ranked than the school my girls will go to, so I may decide to move them when the time comes, but I also really want them to have the comfort and familiarity of their social circles when they get into high school. At this point, I'm just happy to have the option and will cross that bridge when it gets closer.

AngB
09-26-2017, 11:54 PM
I think it has it's pro's and con's, either way.
My mom ended up teaching at my brothers' and sister's middle school the year after I had moved on to high school...my mom liked knowing the kids and stuff like that, especially in those turbulent middle school years. But she also did not like that her principals would come to her over petty things my siblings did that they would have never brought up to another parent. (ie. one day after the Rams had won the superbowl, my sister put a few blue streaks in her hair with washable marker...not a big deal.) My mom had to find herself standing up for my siblings at a few points (I think once a principal tattled to her that my brother threw a water bottle away by throwing it a few feet away from the trash can...her response was..."so...? Would you be telling another parent about this?" It kind of put her in an awkward position between her kids and her boss. (And it's not like she didn't know her kids aren't perfect angels, etc., but she didn't like them coming to her over petty crap just because she was there.) I think in elementary school this would hopefully be less of an issue and also of course depending on the personalities. Either way, they survived and didn't seem too traumatized from it.

KrisM
09-26-2017, 11:58 PM
I'm not a teacher, but it seems like most of my kids teachers live in our district or very close. Nearly all of them send their kids here and most to the school they are in. We have 5 elementary schools and I know 4 of the principals send their kids here. Not sure on the 5th.

They are only in the same building for a few years and only in the grade you teach for 1 most likely.

mommytoalyssa
09-27-2017, 12:44 AM
I have taught at the same school as my kids and even had my daughter in my classes. I teach at a two day a week school for children being homeschooled. It is not a co-op as the teachers are not the parents--instead they are credentialed teachers or teachers with expertise in their subject matter (i.e. sewing class teacher is not credentialed). I teach science and math classes.

I liked knowing all the kids my kids interacted with but my daughter did tell me she thought I didn't call on her enough when she raised her hand. I was trying to not favor her and knew I could explain anything she was not getting at home later if she had questions. Both kids were proud that the teacher their friends had and liked was their mom. It made them well-known and I think even favored a bit at the school.

One downside is that my son has learning challenges and is immature and it was painful for me to see evidence of that every day at school because I was on campus more than I would have been as a parent. That aspect is unique to our situation but it was a major drawback for me. I love him so much and hate to see him struggle. My presence at the school was a great comfort to him, however, and I loved being able to give him that for a time. It was a bonding experience.

niccig
09-27-2017, 01:03 AM
I’m a school SLP and my answer is heck no. One parent found out I was a SLP and told me to get a job at my son’s school as the SLP sucked. Her daughter received speech therapy services and she felt she should’ve been further advanced in speech and Lang skills and it was the SLP’s fault she wasn’t. I know the medical condition her DD has and very delayed communication skills are part of that disorder.

So no, I’ll never work at DS’s school . I don’t need people in my neighborhood to think I suck at my job because I don’t have a magic wand that fixes all communication disorders. I think deciding on eligibility could also be difficult if know parent and child - parent may not be happy if their child doesn’t qualify for services.

I work for neighboring district as the pay and benefits are better. My schedule doesn’t exactly align with DS’s, but it only a couple of weeks at end of summer and a few days throughout the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

klwa
09-27-2017, 07:54 AM
My parents both taught at the schools that my brothers and I went to. My dad was our assistant principal, taught my brothers in Algebra, and taught me and my brothers in Driver's Ed. My mom was an elementary teacher. I will say, as the kid, that it was both nice & difficult. A lot of kids assumed I got special treatment (and it's possible I did) because of who my parents were. That was worst in elementary school.

cilantromapuche
09-27-2017, 08:26 AM
That's funny that you posted because DH and I work at different schools. We live where DH teaches and DS loved having DH there in middle school (but never as a student) and close by now that he is in HS. There were aspects about MS that we didn't like and it wouldn't be a good fit for DD, so she came with me this year. I have her as a student and so far so good. I love seeing her in things and we enjoy the ride together to school. There are times where she won't be talking to me because of a tiff at home but at the end of the day she is all smiles to tell me about her day (which is so not like her- so we will see how long it lasts).
Part of it is that she is much happier here and I am glad we can give her the option. I love that I know what is going on and can encourage her to try new clubs, etc.
I think it depends on your kid. If your kid struggles with behavior, etc. I think they are better off having space. I never thought I wanted DD with me because she is so stubborn and hates school but this has been great for her and she says she feels peaceful.

DualvansMommy
09-27-2017, 09:21 AM
DH and his brother grew up with their dad who was a teacher, but taught in a different town district from theirs. My BIL is the dean of admissions at one of the schools and teaches couple of courses, as well being the head soccer coach for the school. His sons are juniors there, and so far they seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mm123
09-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Like niccig, I'm also an SLP, working in schools. For a few years, one of my schools was the same school where my kids went to daycare and kindergarten. They went to a different school after kindergarten. As convenient as it was, I honestly found it awkward. I would often have to sit in on team meetings with parents who I knew through the daycare or neighbourhood. It was also awkward when I had to be in one of my kid's classes, to observe another child. I eventually asked to move schools. Even when my kids were no longer there, I felt strange knowing 'too much' about some friends and acquaintances' children. Especially when I had to work with friends' kids.

lalasmama
09-27-2017, 10:40 AM
DH teaches at DD's school, and loves it. She moves to HS next year, and he's already lamenting about it.

Pros: He's always there for whatever she needs. Easy to keep track of what's going on, because he is always there, and so teachers can find him if there's any problems. When she fell off the monkey bars and got banged up, the office took her straight to his classroom for snuggles. He gets more candid information from the teachers/administrators about her. (She was sent to the office once for "inciting a riot" in one of her classes, and an administrator let DH know he was calling her in, and that she wasn't really in trouble--she just likes a healthy political debate and another kid didn't appreciate her sharing her opinion.)

Cons: "I can't EVER get away from Dad!" she whines. But what 13 year old doesn't whine about that?!

niccig
09-27-2017, 11:12 AM
I’ll add that I went to my mothers school for grade 11 and 12. Con: she always knew everything before we did, including test scores. She would volunteer us for everything when extra participants were needed. Knew all the “trouble” Kids and had more control over social life, this didn’t bother me but I know my sister hated it. Pro: she was able to get us enrolled in classes with a better teacher.

It didn’t bother me so much that we were at her school, but my sister felt that mom was always watching and she couldn’t be herself and make friends she wanted as she was a “teacher’s kid”. She felt there was less freedom and more control by mom- which is exactly why my mother moved us to her school.

So your kids may like it or hate it. That will depend on your boundaries and the boundaries of other teachers

geochick
09-27-2017, 11:25 AM
If so, do you like it, or wish you didn't?

I've always thought it would be great to teach at the school where my kids go, but if we stay in our current district, it's highly unlikely (very small, and my subject is very specialized). However, I have a friend who is a counselor at a school that her kids don't attend, and she actually kind of likes the separation. I'll be going back to work in a few years and want to think about this as much as I can before I begin the job search...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I work at a PreK-12 private school. My kids in Middle School attend the same school. I love it. We have all the same holidays and breaks. When I have a meeting after school, I have a place for them to go while they wait for me. I know their teachers personally. I wouldn't change a thing.

essnce629
09-27-2017, 01:38 PM
I really liked having him at my school. It was so easy, plus I saved a ton of money not having to pay for before and after school care. It also was nice in that we had the same schedule of back to school night, and other evening school function, awards assemblies, programs, etc. I could easily run down to the auditorium for 15 minutes to see him get an award, where as now I need to take a half day off to go to his award assemblies, programs, etc, and I cross my fingers every year that his back to school night and my back to school night are not the same night.

My best friend and her DH are both teachers at the same k-8 private Catholic school that their DDs (preschool and 6th) attend.

The pros are definitely the one's PZMommy mentioned-- same break schedule, same bell schedule, same school event schedule, large discount for private tuition, knowing all the students and their parents, and not paying for after-school care.

The cons are being with your family 24/7 (especially since her DH works there too). Also, my friend has mentioned multiple times over the years that she doesn't think the school is the best fit for her DD1. She doesn't think the teachers at her school are as qualified as those at their local public school and her DD1 was behind in math (with horrible test scores) a year or so ago. But because both she and her DH are teachers they were able to work with her themselves to get her caught up. So because of the ease of transportation, school schedule, and not having to pay for aftercare, she's resisted moving her DD for 7 years now! Also, their school only has one classroom per grade so their DD will end up being taught by both of them for several years. My best friend teaches 6-8 grades and her DH teachers 5th grade, so their DD had him last year and will have her all 3 years of middle school. Her DH told me last year that it was a little difficult at the very beginning of the year because all of their DD's friends saw their teacher as "DD's dad" who they knew outside of school at play dates, soccer, girl scouts, and birthday parties. They were a little disrespectful to him in the beginning till he made it clear he was the teacher and not just "DD's dad." Also, my friend said the parents of her DDs are a little standoffish and don't really try to be friends with her because they see her as a teacher and a staff member instead of another mom like them. So she doesn't always get invited to all the parent social events that are outside of school. They are closer friends with their neighborhood families (who go to the local public school). Also, because they are both teachers (who make less than public school teachers) she says they can't really keep up with everyone else in their private school who are above them in socioeconomic status. I know this bothers her sometimes.

So I think the plan for now is to keep their DDs at the school and have her DH keep working there, but my friend is ready to get another job somewhere else. She's been there 6 years and her DH has been there for 8.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

MontrealMum
09-27-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm in the same district but not the same school. It was the same growing up for me and my mom. The benefit of this was having the same vacation time, certainly, but it also meant that she had to miss a lot of my events.

If I get moved, which is a distinct possibility, I may end up at ds' school in the future. I'm not too sure how I'd feel about that.

acmom
09-27-2017, 03:19 PM
I'm a teacher (at home and working at a university part time right now) and have not taught in my kids school, but taught in district before I had kids and have thought about this in case I go back. I have several teacher friends that do it and it works for them. I can totally see the pros, as I would be able to go without before and after school care and all of us would be on the same schedule. But for me, I think I would prefer to be at a different school. My main reason is right now all those kids and families see me as a fellow mom, not a teacher. They are used to speaking freely in front of me, which even now can get uncomfortable as I am still friends with many of the teachers they talk about and sometime cringe the way other parents discuss teachers and other students. I worry that the transition from being seen as a fellow parent/acquaintance/friend to teacher might be a challenge if I were to return to teaching at their school. I would potentially teach the children of people I have known for years on a more personal level, which feels to close for me. For my friends that have taught at their kids schools all along, it seems like that separation of teacher/parent is a little easier bc families have always viewed them in that dual role.