PDA

View Full Version : suggest your favorite version of Anne of Green Gables - tv show or movie

rlu
09-27-2017, 07:10 PM
We're going to PEI next year and DS is not going to read Anne of Green Gables. He'll probably watch a movie or few episodes of a tv show though.

I don't stream right now (so no hulu, Netflix, whatevs) but will look around the various library systems or if not too pricey, just buy off Amazon.

klwa
09-27-2017, 07:32 PM
I love th e "original" 1985 version with Megan Follows. https://www.amazon.com/Anne-Green-Gables-Megan-Follows/dp/B00005YNTR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506554901&sr=8-1&keywords=anne+of+green+gables+1985

robinsmommy
09-27-2017, 07:35 PM
I haven't seen the new one. I liked the original with Megan Follows as Anne - it had Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla, and she was awesome.

One caveat - only watch the original "Anne of Green Gables" if you go that route - the further from the first book/movie, the greater the liberties they took with the script. There was this ridiculous sequel (#3, I think) where Anne went in search of Gilbert during WWI, and they lived in NY. Really?!?!?

sariana
09-27-2017, 08:32 PM
There's also the series "Avonlea" or "Road to Avonlea" in Canada. It aired for several years on Disney Channel back in the 90s and was loosely based on LMM's other stories set on the island. It might be more appealing to your son because it follows more characters, including Felix King. An interesting side note: Zachary Bennett, who played Felix, is the voice of the villain on "Wild Kratts."

I like the Megan Follows version, and "Avonlea" is the same universe (many of the same actors, including a guest appearance by Megan as Anne).

moosemama
09-27-2017, 09:37 PM
The original miniseries from the 80s with Megan Follows is my favourite by far. The casting was perfect (in my opinion)! Anne, Gilbert, Matthew, Marilla, Diana, Rachel - all of them were exactly as I had pictured them in reading the books. The first sequel (made a couple of years after the first miniseries) is also great, but like robinsmommy, I would suggest skipping the completely inaccurate second sequel which came out much later. I remember getting together with a group of friends, all of whom had loved both the books and the first 2 miniseries in our childhood to watch it and being so incredibly disappointed.

We went to PEI this summer and I had hoped to read the book to my DC (ages 6 and 10) first, but when I started it, I realized the language was much too difficult for my 6 yr old DD and 10 yr old DS had no interest. He also had very little interest in the original miniseries (though DD loved it and watched both the 1st and 2nd ones with me). I think he probably didn't like it for a few reasons including the length and the fact it was filmed in the 1980s (and the colour etc. isn't as "crisp" as the shows he's used to seeing).

DS did, however, enjoy the movies (there were three in total) that came out in 2016 and 2017 on YTV in Canada (I'm not sure if or where they were broadcast in the US) with Martin Sheen as Matthew. They were a better fit for him and held his interest where the others didn't. I wasn't as impressed as the actors didn't seem "right" to me, but no actors other than the ones in the 80s miniseries ever will to me!

There is also the new version that is on Netflix (Anne with an E). It is darker and also often strays from the books. My kids won't be watching it because of some of the content which I don't think is appropriate for them (especially my 6 yr old), but that's just my opinion. I know some people who really like this adaptation. The actress who plays Anne is fantastic and the scenery is beautiful, so you may want to watch it yourself, but depending on the age of your DS, you may or may not want to let him watch it. There are lots and lots of reviews and commentary on this version if you want to know more!

One last thing (!), DD and I (DS and DH had no interest) went to see Anne of Green Gables the Musical in Charlottetown and she loved it (but be warned, some of the songs get stuck in your head, especially when your 6 yr old keeps singing them)!

moosemama
09-27-2017, 09:47 PM
I just noticed your DS is 13, so the Netflix version would probably be fine. The YTV movies were only 1.5 hrs each though, so shorter than watching all the Netflix episodes and they cover more of the books (albeit not in as much detail). I just googled and the YTV versions were on PBS in the US.

123LuckyMom
09-28-2017, 10:13 AM
I would NOT watch the most recent series. Search the Internet or go to the library for the Meghan Follows version. You won't find it on any legitimate streaming service. This is the only one that's remotely true to the books and carries the spirit of them and the beauty of the island. It's DEFINITELY the one to watch. The Avonlea series with Sarah Polley is also good, but it's not about Anne.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
I liked the original Meghan Follows one including the 3rd movie (that was probably my favorite but I was also 11 or 12 and hadn't read all the books yet) but also liked the PBS series last year. Dd1 was 10 and liked it but DD2 who was 6 wasn't as interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana
09-28-2017, 02:14 PM
I would NOT watch the most recent series. Search the Internet or go to the library for the Meghan Follows version. You won't find it on any legitimate streaming service. This is the only one that's remotely true to the books and carries the spirit of them and the beauty of the island. It's DEFINITELY the one to watch. The Avonlea series with Sarah Polley is also good, but it's not about Anne.

It's not about Anne, but it's very much about PEI! The White Sands Hotel was featured in multiple episodes, and while the Green Gables house didn't appear much, Rose Cottage did, as well as the King family farm and the town itself. If you want your son to get a feel for the island, either the miniseries or the regular series would work for that. But I actually prefer the series--it was much richer because it followed multiple characters, especially in the later seasons. It is less true to the books but possibly more true to the island.

123LuckyMom
09-28-2017, 02:43 PM
I agree, Sariana, that the Avonlea series is wonderful and featured lots of PEI landscape! I haven't watched it since it was on originally, but it was a great favorite in our house! But Anne isn't in it, so if Anne as a character is important (in preparation for visiting Green Gables, for example), do add in the Kevin Sullivan Anne of Green Gables from the '80s. I believe Kevin Sullivan also did Avonlea.

rlu
09-28-2017, 04:18 PM
A little confused about the "new" series/movies people are mentioning.

this came up for PBS - appears to be new but lists Martin Sheen as Matthew so maybe not new? http://www.pbs.org/show/anne-green-gables/

my library has the Megan Follows movie plus two more that have a grown-up Anne.

We'll be in Charlottestown for a day as a port during a cruise. My intent is to introduce DS (and DH) to Anne in case there are tons of references all over the city. We will most likely not go to the museum or the musical unless someone else in the party is especially interested (my sister perked up at the musical but I think she'll be outvoted or be off on her own unless MIL is looking for an easy excursion that day).

MontrealMum
09-28-2017, 06:18 PM
A little confused about the "new" series/movies people are mentioning.

this came up for PBS - appears to be new but lists Martin Sheen as Matthew so maybe not new? http://www.pbs.org/show/anne-green-gables/

my library has the Megan Follows movie plus two more that have a grown-up Anne.

We'll be in Charlottestown for a day as a port during a cruise. My intent is to introduce DS (and DH) to Anne in case there are tons of references all over the city. We will most likely not go to the museum or the musical unless someone else in the party is especially interested (my sister perked up at the musical but I think she'll be outvoted or be off on her own unless MIL is looking for an easy excursion that day).

-There are two "new" Anne series. But the original is the best [emoji846]
-Road to Avonlea was filmed in Ontario, not PEI. Though it's a lovely show, it doesn't feature PEIs stunning landscapes
-Green Gables isn't in Charlottetown. It's in Cavendish. Is that what you meant by museum? You'll need a car to get there.
-sure, there's Anne stuff in PEI. But there's a lot of other great stuff too!

rlu
09-28-2017, 06:39 PM
-Green Gables isn't in Charlottetown. It's in Cavendish. Is that what you meant by museum? You'll need a car to get there.

not sure, it's listed as an excursion, could be a drive.

We'll be in Charlottetown and several of the featured excursions are about Anne, that's all.

moosemama
09-28-2017, 09:40 PM
The PBS movies with Martin Sheen (there are three) aired in 2016 and 2017. Season 1 of Anne with an E (8 episodes) came out on Netflix this spring. It's strange that two different adaptations were made at basically the same time.

Anne and LM Montgomery references are everywhere in Charlottetown and the rest of PEI! Green Gables is about a 40 min drive from Charlottetown.

american_mama
09-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Big Anne book fan here, somewhat knowledgeable about the different adaptations.

For a 13 year old boy whose main involvement in the series is a visit next year to PEI.... I would watch the first episode of "Anne with an E" on Netflix. It was released as "Anne" on Canadian TV early this year, then on Netflix with the title change. It's easily accessible, beautifully filmed, and well-cast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_(TV_series)

The first episode is quite true to the books except for the "returned to the orphange" twist at the end, which never happened in the books. The other episodes are quite different from the books. My 12 year old DD2 and 9 year old DS watched it a few months ago, and my DD2 complained heavily for 30 minutes about how the Anne character never shut up, ugh could we turn it off.... but she liked it by the end. She wanted to watch more and we did, but I can't remember how many. Maybe just episodes 2 and maybe 3. I watched all of the series, and like it as an alternate version of Anne, not one from the book, but one that could also imagine happening.

Before or after viewing, tell your DS that the book presents a very gentle view of small town life and Anne's upbeat personality, but warn him the series is about how the same circumstances could also mean danger, cruelty or trauma for the characters. Does that make the books too innocent or whitewashed, or, alternatively, does that make the series too dark and gutter-like? I think there is a place for considering both.

To help you sort out the option, here is a list of the tv or film adaptations:

(1985) Anne of Green Gables - what most people mean by the original. Stars Megan Follows. Very good, very popular, very true to books as I recall.... but film resolution is poor today if you buy from amazon (I think I read that) and definitely if you look at scenes on youtube. Check out some scenes on amazon and see what you think. To me, they seem fuzzy, wordy, and slow. But I think the sum is much greater than the parts. If you can get it from the library, give one of the episodes a try.

(1987) Anne of Avonlea (also called Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel). I think I watched all of this when it came out. It's ok, jumps ahead several books, but less of it is in Avonlea and I doubt it will appeal to a 13 year old boy new to the series. It maybe have been filmed in other parts of PEI, though not sure.

(2000) Anne of Green Gables, The Continuing Story - involves some of the same actors and people as the above two series, but creates mostly new plotlines that are slightly inspired from the last book in the series (which is about Anne's daughter Rilla). Haven't seen it, don't want to. I get the impression it was bad and/or seen as heresy. Don't know how much of the storyline is on PEI.

(2008) Anne of Green Gables, A New Beginning - Written by the same person as above, I think, but otherwise quite a new story that is more prequel. Not very based on the books. Don't know much about it. Don't know whether it is set or filmed on PEI.

(2016) L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables - shown on PBS in fall 2016. Starred Martin Sheen as Matthew, a woeful bit of miscasting. Haven't seen it, doesn't seem good. But I just read an interview with Martin Sheen about it that intrigued me a little, so maybe I will seek it out.

(2017) Anne with an E or Anne in Canada, see above

sariana
09-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Most of "Anne of Avonlea" (1987) does not even take place on PEI, book or miniseries. Anne is away from the island, thus the title--she is Anne "of (from) Avonlea." As I recall, the miniseries is not very true to the book.

OP, of your library had the original "Anne of Green Gables" with Megan Follows, just go with that one. It sounds as if its convenient, and it is a beatiful adaptation. No need to go to any trouble to track down a different one.

ETA: I guess the book takes place on PEI, but the show is in Kingsport, Nova Scotia.