PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Kale chips?

KpbS
10-27-2017, 11:22 PM
I've never made them and wonder if they are the type of food you can prepare and then store for a few days or are they pretty much needing to be consumed that day?

Tips/tricks? I'd like to make them as caloric as possible for DS who needs the calories these days.

georgiegirl
10-28-2017, 12:09 AM
My kids fight over them. As for storing them, I’ve never had that problem since my kids gobble them all up. I wash the kale, then dry thoroughly. I dry mine in a salad spinner. Then I add some olive oil and massage into the kale. You will need to use your hands. Add salt. Place on cookie sheet so no pieces are overlapping. Bake until done. I think I bake mine at 350 for 10-15 min. You need to watch them at the end, you want them crispy but not burnt. One nice sized bunch of kale makes two trays, which my 3 kids can finish in 5-10 min. I usually use purple kale (which is curly.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mm123
10-28-2017, 06:03 AM
My kids fight over them. As for storing them, I’ve never had that problem since my kids gobble them all up. I wash the kale, then dry thoroughly. I dry mine in a salad spinner. Then I add some olive oil and massage into the kale. You will need to use your hands. Add salt. Place on cookie sheet so no pieces are overlapping. Bake until done. I think I bake mine at 350 for 10-15 min. You need to watch them at the end, you want them crispy but not burnt. One nice sized bunch of kale makes two trays, which my 3 kids can finish in 5-10 min. I usually use purple kale (which is curly.)

:yeahthat: I make it the exact same way. Mine also doesn't last more than a day- the kids gobble it up!

If I'm feeling extra lazy, I'll buy a big bag of the pre-washed, pre-chopped kale, which saves the washing/drying time.

trcy
10-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Super picky DD loves them. I have never needed to store them because she eats them all as soon as they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mmsmom
10-28-2017, 09:36 AM
My kids love too. I tried buying them once but they hated the store bought ones. They all have flavorings they don’t like. Very easy to make.

specialp
10-28-2017, 10:40 AM
There may be a way to store them and I've never really tried to do big batches, but do have leftovers and they aren't as good and crisp the next day when I store them in an airtight container.

KpbS
11-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys! Very helpful. DH and and I loved them and the kids had mixed reviews. They are going into the regular rotation though! :)

jgenie
11-05-2017, 09:55 PM
:yeahthat: I make it the exact same way. Mine also doesn't last more than a day- the kids gobble it up!

If I'm feeling extra lazy, I'll buy a big bag of the pre-washed, pre-chopped kale, which saves the washing/drying time.

Do you remove the stems before baking or leave them on? TIA

georgiegirl
11-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Do you remove the stems before baking or leave them on? TIA

I cut out the thick stem.