PDA

View Full Version : Deals on kids books?

acmom
11-30-2017, 10:37 AM
I am collecting children's books for a local organization. We need a lot and the kids range in age from K to middle school, so can use a wide range of titles. Several of us used the Amazon $5 off book purchase. Anyone seen any other book deals we might be able to take advantage of to stretch our $??

umsh
11-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Are you able to donate used books? When I’ve purchased for my kids classroom libraries and school library (in a very underfunded area), I have gotten amazing deals from our local public libraries “Friends of the Library” used book sales. They have a sale a few times a year with Childrens hardcovers for a dollar, and they have various fill a bag/box sales too...I shop multiple libraries for these sales and over the years have scored really good books for an unbeatable price for the schools (and us!) this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acmom
11-30-2017, 11:08 AM
We can have some used books to donate to the organization (and I use your tip and will look at Library sales for those!) , but we are hoping to get one new one for each child they service so that it can be a part of their Christmas gifts.

umsh
11-30-2017, 12:03 PM
We can have some used books to donate to the organization (and I use your tip and will look at Library sales for those!) , but we are hoping to get one new one for each child they service so that it can be a part of their Christmas gifts.

Do any of your kids' teachers do Scholastic Book Clubs? Each of their catalogues (from preK-middle grades) always has at least one book for $1 (and usually a couple for $2), and at this time of year, many of them are holiday themed. When I was teaching I'd buy these books as my students' holiday gift. Not sure how many children you're buying for, but I think it won't get much better than $1-$2 per book. :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Library sales and used books. There’s no reason, imo, not to buy used if the quality is like new (and it often is!).

ETA- missed your follow up. I’d try Target.

klwa
11-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Check on Bookoutlet. I've never gotten one (except from scratch and dent) that showed any signs of wear other than you might find at a book store.

ETA: From their website " The books we purchase are all new and represent publishers’ excess inventory or in many cases excess inventory at bookstores that has been returned to the publisher. The publisher puts a small mark or line on the edge of the book identifying it as a “bargain book” that can no longer be returned to the publisher for credit. Some books have no mark on the edge but most do. If you can live with a small mark on the edge for a 50% to 90% discount then you have found your reader’s paradise."

You can also get 5% off right now through Ebates + free shipping on $35.

acmom
11-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Do any of your kids' teachers do Scholastic Book Clubs? Each of their catalogues (from preK-middle grades) always has at least one book for $1 (and usually a couple for $2), and at this time of year, many of them are holiday themed. When I was teaching I'd buy these books as my students' holiday gift. Not sure how many children you're buying for, but I think it won't get much better than $1-$2 per book. :)

Yes, I used to get the $1 books for my students as a gift when I taught too! I reached out to my kids teachers but both said they weren't doing an order that would be here in time. 😢

umsh
11-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Aw that's too bad, bc that's probably the best source for inexpensive new books.

Do you have a Scholastic warehouse sale near you? Those aren't as cheap as the book clubs but they're not bad, usually they're half off the cover price...you could get new paperbacks for $2-2.50.

ang79
11-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Do you have an Ollie’s Bargain Outlet? I shop there for books for my kids, prices range from .99-3.99 usually. The books do usually ha e a black line across the bottom just to mark that they are from a bargain store, but otherwise are new books.

acmom
11-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas! I didn't know about the Bookoutlet site and never thought about checking our Ollie's for books. And yes, we do have a Scholastic Warehouse in town - I actually coordinate our school's Scholastic Book Fairs each year so don't know how I forgot about that option! They aren't open to the public for regular shopping but are having one of their Warehouse Sales before my deadline so I'll hit that too! :)

mikala
11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
I just ran across this in my blog reader and remembered this post. It might be helpful if you need board books?

http://www.themomcreative.com/2017/11/crazy-board-book-sale-amazon-2-books.html

petesgirl
11-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Thriftbooks is another used book website. I've never ordered kids books from them but the cookbooks I got were in great shape.

carolinacool
11-30-2017, 03:33 PM
Clearly not classics, but my second-grader can't stop cackling over the Dogman (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dogman) series. The 2nd and 3rd versions are under $5. And these are hardback, which is nice. That could be an option for 7- and 8-year-old boys.

amybds
11-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Some of the Diary of a Wimpy kids books are in the $5-$6 range on Amazon, and the 10-book set was $50 earlier this morning. (One of my boys also loves the Dogman series.)

vonfirmath
11-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Clearly not classics, but my second-grader can't stop cackling over the Dogman (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Dogman) series. The 2nd and 3rd versions are under $5. And these are hardback, which is nice. That could be an option for 7- and 8-year-old boys.

My 1st grader also LOVES the Dogman series. She got her first at the Scholastic Book Fair and devoured it -- reading it 6 times over the next weekend so I picked up the next two from her brother's book fair (the next week). And she'll be getting the 4th for Christmas (It comes out the day after Christmas, so perfect timing to receive from her cousins as a gift)

carolinacool
11-30-2017, 04:09 PM
My 1st grader also LOVES the Dogman series. She got her first at the Scholastic Book Fair and devoured it -- reading it 6 times over the next weekend so I picked up the next two from her brother's book fair (the next week). And she'll be getting the 4th for Christmas (It comes out the day after Christmas, so perfect timing to receive from her cousins as a gift)

Not to go off topic, but WHY are they releasing it Dec. 26?!? I looked last night because I thought it could be another gift from the grandparents. Aaghh! I mean, we'll get it, but I feel like they missed the boat!

ETA: And of course it's great for girls! I just hear my DS talking about it with his guy friends. Did not mean to be sexist. lol

ett
11-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Look for box sets at Costco that you can separate. Otherwise, Marshalls and TJ Maxx also has discounted books.

vonfirmath
12-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Not to go off topic, but WHY are they releasing it Dec. 26?!? I looked last night because I thought it could be another gift from the grandparents. Aaghh! I mean, we'll get it, but I feel like they missed the boat!

ETA: And of course it's great for girls! I just hear my DS talking about it with his guy friends. Did not mean to be sexist. lol

I didn't take it as sexist. My son never cared for the Dogman books. My daughter LOVES them (And my 5th grade son who will read anything reads them now). I read that as your son liked it. Nothing more :) But I wanted to add the information about the next book coming out. And the drawing instructions in the back (which adds to the usefulness of the book, IMHO)

legaleagle
12-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Look for box sets at Costco that you can separate. Otherwise, Marshalls and TJ Maxx also has discounted books.

Very smart!

Dogman has been the first thing my reluctant reader 2nd grader has wanted to read for fun, so I'm a big fan (as long as I don't personally have to read it aloud). My now 4th grader loved them too at that age.

candaceb
12-01-2017, 04:00 PM

I was at Costco today and thought of this thread. They had the Ramona set - $26 for 15 books - at less than $2 a book, I think that's about as good as it gets.

jgenie
12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Amazon has tons of kids books on sale right now. Plenty in the $1 and $2 range.

https://www.amazon.com/Curious-George-Around-Town-Set/dp/0547487045/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512689131&sr=8-1&keywords=curious+george+books

Gracemom
12-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Scholastic Warehouse sales are great. This year they have buy one get one free. http://registration.scholasticbookfairs.com/events/warehouse/