PDA

View Full Version : MLK Jr. Day - meaningful activities for kids?

ourbabygirl
01-08-2018, 05:55 PM
My kids are getting older, and I'd like to take them to an age-appropriate community event, or do some activities at home, to help them learn the meaning/ importance of the day. I believe they talk about it a bit in school (kids are in 1st and 3rd grades), but I'd like to do more at home so they don't just see it as another day off. I need to do some research, as the only thing I've found nearby so far is a talk for adults at a local church.

Anything special you do in your own homes that we could try, as well? Or websites/ resources to look up?

Thanks so much!

mmsmom
01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Our kids do projects at school. They used to do it on MLK day but not everyone could participate because it required a parent driving the student to school, so now they do it the Friday before. One thing they have done that could be done on a smaller scale at home: comfort kits for senior living centers... bags with individual oatmeal, hot chocolate, cereal bars and a tube of hand lotion along with a “thinking of you card” made by the kids.

jennilynn
01-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Following for ideas! I was thinking about attending our local parade. This is the first year I don't have to work that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
01-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Look at your local United Way website. They sometimes list good opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pear
01-08-2018, 07:13 PM
coming back to read responses. We are in a ridiculously homogenous area so always looking for ways to promote understanding.

citymama
01-09-2018, 04:38 AM
We tried to volunteer at our local food bank before the holidays and on MLK day but no luck - they have too many volunteers! I think that's great. You could see if a local church is doing soup kitchens or has other service volunteer opportunities. We decided instead to spend that afternoon at to a poster-making party for the Jan 20 Women's March - about 5 families, all w/ elementary and middle school kids, meeting up to make resistance poster art together. Consider that as a fall-back!