PDA

View Full Version : S/O Seen a good list for dividing home/family tasks?

WatchingThemGrow
01-09-2018, 12:13 PM
When DH and I were first married, Real Simple (2005) had a great comprehensive list of tasks to decide who does what in a marriage. It was awesome because it was non-confrontational, clear, and easy to use. DH and I took a first pass at the list and picked the tasks we enjoyed doing. Then we took a second pass and claimed some we didn't mind doing, and lastly, we shared the ones that seemed burdensome to both of us. (We probably now could or do hire out for some of those.)

12.5 years later, I would say that list has benefitted our marriage because he's a workhorse around our house, and I'm not. [emoji23] The things he can't stand doing are not a bother to me, so he hopefully feels that I'm contributing as well.

However, now that our DC are 8,10, and 11, it would probably be good to reassign some of the tasks so that we work more as a team, rather than "mom is making me do chores I hate doing." I think having a new "family list" would also get DC to take some of the enormous workload DH has claimed for himself. (I literally could get away with folding a couple loads of clothes and unloading the dishwasher once a week, if I chose to slack off.)

Have you seen any good lists for all the tasks involved in running a family/home? I'm not talking about just cleaning, but also car maintenance, setting up Hold Mail requests, teacher correspondence, vacation planning, retirement savings planning, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk