PDA

View Full Version : The Bodyguard Musical - tweens?

elbert
01-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Longshot, but wondering anyone has seen The Bodyguard: The Musical on its tour. While I've heard that it's not particularly good, I have a musical loving DD (age 11). I'm having trouble finding anything online that addresses if it's appropriate for kids of that age. I know that this is a very subjective question, but if anyone has seen it, can you let me know of any potentially inappropriate content?

TIA

smilequeen
01-09-2018, 06:05 PM
I saw it with low expectations and it was far more enjoyable than I expected. I don’t remember anything inappropriate but I was not watching through that lense. It follows the basic movie plot line and the lady playing Whitney Houston’s part had a great voice. I know people who went just to hear her.

lizzywednesday
01-09-2018, 09:01 PM
I saw it with low expectations and it was far more enjoyable than I expected. I don’t remember anything inappropriate but I was not watching through that lense. It follows the basic movie plot line and the lady playing Whitney Houston’s part had a great voice. I know people who went just to hear her.

Her name is Deborah Cox and she is phenomenal.

I've heard some of her renditions of the music from the show (I think they added/expanded a character for the musical?) on the radio.

liz
01-09-2018, 10:45 PM
I'm going to see it with DH soon. The ad specifically says ages 13+ recommended, just FYI.

4birds
01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
I took my then eleven year old daughter to see this not too long ago. I would have really enjoyed it, as it is a lovely show, were it not for her begging me to leave. She loves theater in general, and is mature enough to handle most adult themes; however, the violence and attempts on "Whitney's" life were too much for her. It was very traumatic for her. She still mentions it every time we drive near the theater. If I could do it over again, I would not bring her. With that said, I honestly think my younger daughter would not have been nearly as traumatized (though she wouldn't have enjoyed the show for other reasons), so it probably comes down to the individual child and how she would feel about the "stranger in the shadows" trying to kill someone. If you don't think she would mind this terribly, it was an otherwise good show, and I can't recall any other themes that would have been a problem (unless there was an intimate scene with the bodyguard which I can't recall, which leads me to believe that if there was such a scene, it would have been implied tastefully-otherwise I would probably remember it!) Good luck with the decision.

AnnieW625
01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
I think my brother was 12 or 13 when we saw the original movie so thinking back other than the sex scenes in the movie I don’t think I would have an issue taking my Dd1 to see this because I don’t think movie love scenes are huge in theater, right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk